Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Mid Drive KIT options

Hello,
    I'm very interested in buying the Bafang BBS02 Mid Drive eBike KIT, however I'm not sure with all the options, being a not very mechanical lady and also french, so not very good with bike vocabulary in English. I have always been a good biker, using it for my commute to work in combination with a bus to cross the tunnel (I live in Montreal but work on the south shore) but now that bus is always late and the time in rush hour more and more terrible, so I'd like to do the ride completely by bike. However it's 27 km (18 miles) and the bridge crossing itself is kinda rough for the 50 years old lady that I am ;-) I've done it a couple of times and it took me 1:30 h, same to return, and this is simply too much! I believe the Mid Drive will be a perfect solution to cut the ride time and conserve my energy.
    So anyway here is my current bike I intend to modify : http://2014.devinci.com/bikes/bike_431_scategory_110
    1- Will the kit fit with my bike?
    2- What sprocket size should I take?
    3- What use is the Hydraulic Brake Sensors and Gear Sensor?
    4-Is the 52v Shark 13.5 GA battery a good choice?
    5- I'm totally at loss as to what charger to take :-(
    5- Is the Lekkie Chainring anything other then a a gadget?

As for the display, i would choose the Bafang C961 Display, so it's pretty much the only option I was able to decide on :/

I will finish with adding that I will have my bike mechanic to install the kit for me so no worries there ;-)

Thanks for your helo

Laurence

Send a message to SEBZ another French Canadian, or at least Think he is. Smart guy and local to you.

Comment

Ask him to continue the conversation here, so we may follow along and see what your solution was...

Comment

Welcome to the forum, and I applaud your conviction - a good riding distance in a pretty area. That bike looks to me that it would modify easily. Here's some thoughts on your numbered list:
        Originally posted by Laurence View Post
        The bottom bracket, part of where the pedals attach to (in this case a RPM 7420) looks standard, which is good. I don't see any issues with this build, offhand.
        The standard, supplied 46 tooth kit one may work just fine in your case. I also would stick with the current rear gear set.
        Your bike doesn't have hydraulic brakes so, no need / issue for the brake sensors. I would have your mechanic install the kit levers, as the levers shut off the motor when you apply the brakes - a safety feature. I would purchase / install the gear sensor, but it's not mandatory, more of a nicety.
        Yes, but I'd plan on recharging at each end of your ride - plan on purchasing another charger.
        One will come with the kit, an identical one would be fine (see above)
        6- Is the Lekkie Chainring anything other then a a gadget?
        The Lekkie ring and others like it give you more gearing possibilities, and also help with some chain line issues. Again, my guess would be that the kit ring would work for you.
        I would also consider upping the tire size from the current 700X32C to 700X35C (or better, 700X38 if they will fit) - bigger tires will likely soften the ride some.
        Last edited by ncrkd; 02-12-2018, 06:09 AM.
        Intro: http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...ntro#post17033
        First build: http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...0293#post20293
        Second build (in planning stage): Crust Scapegoat 650B wheels / BBSHD / Rohloff

Comment

Hello,
          I'm very interested in buying the Bafang BBS02 Mid Drive eBike KIT, however I'm not sure with all the options, being a not very mechanical lady and also french, so not very good with bike vocabulary in English. I have always been a good biker, using it for my commute to work in combination with a bus to cross the tunnel (I live in Montreal but work on the south shore) but now that bus is always late and the time in rush hour more and more terrible, so I'd like to do the ride completely by bike. However it's 27 km (18 miles) and the bridge crossing itself is kinda rough for the 50 years old lady that I am ;-) I've done it a couple of times and it took me 1:30 h, same to return, and this is simply too much! I believe the Mid Drive will be a perfect solution to cut the ride time and conserve my energy.
          So anyway here is my current bike I intend to modify : http://2014.devinci.com/bikes/bike_431_scategory_110
          5- Is the Lekkie Chainring anything other then a a gadget?

As for the display, i would choose the Bafang C961 Display, so it's pretty much the only option I was able to decide on :/

I will finish with adding that I will have my bike mechanic to install the kit for me so no worries there ;-)

Thanks for your helo

Laurence
          1. yes
          2. which of the three do you use most? you will end up with one size to choose.
          3. you do not have hydraulic brakes. A Gearsensor will shut down the motor briefly while you shift.
          4. Good battery good cells.
          5. having a charger that can be set to 80% and 100% can assist in making the battery last longer
          6. Lekkie chain ring isn't as important on the BBS02B. I like the chain guard on the chainwheel that comes with the kit.
          7.C961 is one of the oldest designs and I think simplest and easiest to use.
          8. You have a RPM 7420 BB cartridge which is for a 68MM Bottom bracket. Measure to be certain.

Comment

Hi all, I hope this is on topic. I'm looking at a BBSHD conversion kit for my Tass Genesis Mountain bike. I've measured the crank sprocket housing on the bike, (bottom bracket?) and it appears to be 73mm. This is right on the dividing line between the Standard and the Fat bracket drive. Should I go standard or fat. I found a link that looks pretty close to my model. Link below:

​​​​​​
            Find out how much a 2004 Gary Fisher Tassajara GS bicycle is worth. Our Value Guide is constantly growing with pricing information and bicycle specs daily.

Comment

• paxtana
              paxtana commented
              Editing a comment
              Probably standard. Either will work (as long as it's a BSA bb shell at 73mm) but fat will require some extra parts like spacers and the pedals may not be centered due to spacing being typically on drive side unless using an alternate mount bracket like bsb-1

• oddball
              oddball commented
              Editing a comment
              You want to use the smallest one you can use and still clear the chain rings, it will keep your q factor lower... On my Lurch build I needed to use a 120, but on my wife's fat bike I was able to use a 100, so I can't imagine you needing anything like that on a standard mountain bike.
          Working...
          X