Basic Question on Mid-drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic Question on Mid-drives

To date I have only built bikes with hub motors. I have a basic question about the Bafang mid drive. Does the chainring and crank spin all the time the motor is engaged or is there a one way clutch? It seems dangerous to me that the motor would drive the crank arms and pedals all the time? I guess if you only use pedal assist it is not an issue but I want an independent throttle.
    Thanks
    Robert

There is a overrunning clutch between the pedals and the crank and there is another one between the motor and the crank - the pedal is a pawl style and the motor one is a roller style

Comment

Thank you Sir! Do you know if there is a clutch in the Cyclone drives as well?
      Robert

Comment

• AZguy
        AZguy commented
        Editing a comment
        I've got no personal experience with cyclones but I'm pretty sure they do... there are plenty of cyclone guys around here that can confirm or dispel...

Originally posted by Robert62 View Post
      Thank you Sir! Do you know if there is a clutch in the Cyclone drives as well?
      Robert
      I believe it does and is incorporated into the chainring sandwich - and, there's a higher quality "Lunatick" upgrade available - https://lunacycle.com/luna-tick-cran...or-mid-drives/
      BBSHD / BBS02 IGH Builds: Nexus / Alfine 8: 1 2 3 4 5 6, Rohloff: 1

Comment

Working...
      X