Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swapping out a BBS01B controller for a BBS02B?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapping out a BBS01B controller for a BBS02B?

Hi,

Newbie here. And new to ebikes...

Can anyone let me know if the BBS02B 750w 48v controller will straight fit the BBS01B 250w unit and operate as if it were an BBS02B 750w motor? So then apart from the controller, I'm assuming the motor windings and everything else in the BBS02B is the same as the BBS01B?

If yes, I want to buy a BBS01B 250w model and then replace the controller for a BBS02B 750w one so I can use more amps with a 48v battery - torque, power and range in a 250w case effectively. The idea is to reprogram the controller back and forth so I can stay legal on UK roads but have the ability to run the bike off road using a bit more ommph. You all I 'm sure get the picture...

If there is another way, do say.

Thanks

Rob

Regarding above, failing that and I can't swap over controllers, how else could I get more amps, power and range from a BBS01B 250w 15amp?

Thanks again.

Comment

I don't think a swap is possible but you may be able to reprogram the 01B and change the current settings.

Comment

If the BBS02 controller won't fit, you can still add your own controller of choice to any motor. It's still just a brushless motor. You could gut the stock controller cover, run new wiring, and hide the new controller external to the motor, someplace. If you can find a replacement controller small enough, you may fit it inside.

That said, from what I quickly read, the BBS01 is a physically smaller motor with a narrower stator and less ability to shed heat, compared to BBS02 family. It won't tolerate the same power levels you can push through a BBSO2, then. If you hot rod it with more amps, I'm sure you can push it harder than stock if you want to, but you'd have to be careful not to melt it, in other words.

Here's one related discussion I found in a quick search: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=68296

Now, raising voltage without increasing current is a way to hot rod a motor with reduced risk of overheating. Do that, run low gears, and you can push more power and get away with more. But, you won't be able to keep up with the pedals, that only helps the motor rev higher, at same currents. And is still hard on it. It sure goes faster, though!

Maybe improve the airflow and heat sinking for the motor, too. And, keep spare parts on hand ;)

In summary:

If you want to hot rod it, I'd choose low amps and high voltage, via an external controller. NOT the higher current BBS02 controller. Achieve higher torque, if desired, via gearing, not amps.

If you don't mind babying it and possibly rebuilding it if it melts, (a couple of times?) OTOH, then maybe you can learn the limits, and how to ride it to prevent overheating it. Thus, perhaps you could make a BBS02 controller work. If that's still sounding like an option you may want to choose, then proceed to find out if that controller will fit. I just wanted to point out a few things for you to think about.

If an 02 controller happens to fit the case, it's almost too easy NOT to try. But, it probably won't fit.
        Last edited by JPLabs; 04-09-2018, 03:33 PM.
        Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Thank you both for your replies.

JPLabs, your reply was extensive and I will consider the options. If I can get it, I think the controller for the 350w version will fit the BBS01B 250w. If I can, I might come back to you, if I may.

Thanks again.

Comment

From what I understand the 350 is just a reprogrammed 250.

Comment

max_volt & JPLabs, thanks for the above. From all what was said I went and found a place in the UK that served my needs and brought a BBS01B with extra torque, higher rated controller amps and additional motor winding.

Looking forward to putting it together and using, of course...

Rob

Comment

Glad you figured it out so good luck with the install and have fun riding it.

Comment

Great! See, I didn't know that was an option. Let us know what you think of it.

What's the controller voltage and amperage?
                  Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Been busy putting the bike together and its up and running well.

JPLabs - The modal I have was advertised as a “Bafang® MM G340.250 (BBS01B) mid-drive motor kit 36V 250W - extra torque model (E.T.M).” It came with a 15AH battery as part of the package but I wanted more amps really. Apparently the controller is 25amp. It has the 850C DPC 14 display.

The seller, a nice, knowledgeable chap, said he has had his BBS01B motors configured to his specifications, the motor wiring upgraded and such to cope with the extra torque.
                    I didn’t know a smallish seller could request such things from a large Chinese factory such as Bafang. I’m wondering if it could be just one of a variation of what Bafang supply anyway, I’m not sure. Unless of course I’m being fooled with such concepts of E.T.M and really it’s just a kit with a larger controller amp. I don’t know.

Anyhow, now it’s up and running and looking all neat, I’ve test ridden it on and off road, covering 11 miles, and there’s ok-ish torque for a 250w. Start off is punchy. But when just on throttle the bike tops out at 15.5 MPH – sucks – but, when peddle assisting the motor continues on past this speed, up and over 20MPH. I assumed it would be the other way around but I’m new to this and still attempting to work out what’s what with it all. Any advice would be appreciated of course.

As always, more power is felt in need and I was a little disappointed and wondered if I should have bite the bullet and gone for 750W-1000w. If I was not so concerned about the legal side of things, and now that I have ridden a 250w version, I would rather have at least the BBS02 750W or the BBSHD. I’m used to motorcycles and wanted a little of that feeling from a motor.

Can I ekk out more from this little “upgraded” motor, who knows? The seller did say the motor is more robust and had thicker wiring than the standard BBSO1B version and is capable of feeling like 500w configuration without too much problems of frying the thing. I hope so.

I have a cable and software coming so will look at what parameters the seller has set things at – again I might bend your ears at what might be best achieved with this little torqkie 250w that does, I have to say at least, feel like it has more potential. Because with peddle assist I did manage to get the bike up to 28 MPH very quickly - though I think the road had a little decline. Overall, on the roads peddling to around 22 was relatively easy to achieve. I felt the motor for heat and it was just warm.

Ideally if I could have managed to get an outer casing that said 250w but was a 750w motor I would run with that for the roads and reprogrammed it for the off road stuff. I’m stuck with 250 and if parts are interchangeable then sometime down the road I would upgrade parts to get more power.

Rob

Comment

There are programming options to affect speed in throttle, and what you found sounds encouraging. I bet you can change it more to your liking. Staying tuned in...

Comment

Thanks JPLabs. Will adjust some setting on the BBS01B when the cable arrives.

As an aside, without buying an up-graded replacement battery, at a low cost how could I make my mother-in-law's Viking Ego 250w 24v 10.8 AH punch up the hills a little better and get a few more miles from it? I think the controller is a 24/36v. I'm testing the millage and so far the Ego's done 14 hardish miles with one LED light remaining on the display. I'm going to run it down tomorrow and then get picked up somewhere by car, stranded, 20" wheels see! The sales pitch says up to 28 miles but to get anywhere close to that you'd have to be on the lowest peddle assist and very be very light.

Could I add a little boast battery to the little Ego? I don't know how to do that yet but would look up how.

Thanks.

Rob

Comment

I don't think the bbs01 has 25a controller. That would be an 02. I'm curious if you bury the throttle and put the front tire against a wall, what does the display show for amps/watts?
                          Hi all I have just ordered a Bafang BBS01 250W. I have read up on programming the Bafang BBS02 on several links. And both settings and .el...

Comment

Max_volt. Thanks for the link - will go through it all.

Can't say I'm sure what opening up the throttle against a wall means, or would do to the BBS01 overall. Is there a chance of burning something out?

With regards to the controller I called the seller today and they reassured it's a 25 amp. Phew.

Once the cable comes and I can tinker a little, I'll see what I can do with the bike's performance. I think in a sense, after programme fiddling the BBS01B (E.M.T.) version is potentially a 500w that should not burn out so readily as the standard BBS01B. I hope!

I will first go through Karl Gesslein' "A Hacker’s Guide To Programming The BBS02 & BBSHD."

Cheers.
                            Rob

Comment

It's a bit confusing but after some digging found Luna 25a controllers for 01/02.
                              But 36 x 25 = 900?
                              Providers of quality ebikes, electric bike batteries, motors and components at affordable pricing.
                              Last edited by max_volt; 04-16-2018, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X