Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swapping out a BBS01B controller for a BBS02B?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks max_volt.

Once I get the cable and then start reprogamming a little, I will set the amps to 24 just in case and adjust the throttle to say 80% (691W?) and see what with no peddling it can take me up to. I'm curious to see what sort of configuration and performance this particular BBS01B (ETM) is capable off without it getting too hot and bothered. It did easily peddle past 20 and being I'm currently out of condition was relatively pleased so far with the grunt up to that speed. The programmed throttle set at 15.5 MPH was frustrating though.

So with the above parameters I do want to see what max speed it can do with just throttle at 12 stone on a flat with no wind.

I've a feeling this little 250w might well be punching above its weight. Hope so.

Comment

Not sure that's the same motor. It shows 36/48v and yours may not go that high.

Comment

I'm as confused as you max_volts.

Just went out and tested the bike again, haven't got the cable yet to alter things though (impatient). I did on the flat peddled assist up to 26-28 MPH and got up to 34 MPH down a long, slight, decline.

On the hard 5 miles round test trip I just did the Amps on the 850C (DPC-14) display was in the 12 range, spiking sometimes to 20-21 for brief periods. Motor was very cool to touch.

I've been a long time MTB rider on and off road but haven't been on a bike in 3 years so I think most of the work in testing has been the motor and my little legs helping a little. I do think once the throttle can be adjusted beyond the 15,5 limit it might well pull up to 24-25 on a flat, I'm guessing. That does seem like it's a motor set up to be 500w ability once things are unlocked.

But yes, so far I'm confused what the motor is in actuality, it clearly says G40.250 underneath, but with a 25amp controller it's a nice way to get these 250s working harder. I'm assured the windings are thicker to cope.I'd still like a 1000 though. It was all about the markings on the casing for me and having the ability to set things up for the on and off road (UK restrictions are awful for experienced riders/ebikers).

Oh, and I did breakdown a couple of times, but that seems like it was the battery terminals being a tad loose. Have pinched them and will test again. Fingers crossed.

Rob

Comment

Yes those dang shark packs are notorious for that. My 1st ride last summer I got about a half mile and the system goes dead but thanks to this wonderful website I was back in biz in no time.

Comment

hi yes you can I have a BBS01B 36v 250w motor with a 36v 500w controller fitted it myself I got it from here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/36V-...27424c4dXeVFpY
            now goes 25mph easy assist and throttle only 20ish

PS my bro has the same motor and fitted a 48v 750w
            BBS02B controller 35mph assist & throttle only 29-30

Comment

Cool! I think a lot of owners will be interested to know this. Kudos to you guys for trying it.
              Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

im going to be upgrading my
                BBS01B 36v 250w motor with a BBS02B 48v 750w controller myself in the next few weeks so ill report back here with how it goes here is a pick of my 500w settings that I have run for the past 6 months with no problems

Comment

Now that is interesting to know for the future because the configuration I have, BBS01B 36v 250w (ETM) with a heavy duty winding and a 25amp controller (see posting above), really performs well with the guy's setting from Asia (can't for the life of me remember his name, I think Peter something).

Looking forward, brutus1966, to hearing about the upgraded performance also.

I have completed over 600 trouble free hard miles so far, when would you get the grease gun out? The motor hardly gets warm. Lucky!

Comment

all done and running great I'm using a 9 speed with a 38 tooth on the bafang 250w motor & 750w controller top end about 35mph but I do have a lot more torque & no heat problems

Comment

Sweet, that is a heck of an upgrade.
                      Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Are you using 36v or 48v battery? What max current (A) set on 750W controller? What actual power (W) at 35mph? Not get too hot to touch, still works fine after month? I am looking to update controller too. Thanks in advance.
                        Last edited by Demion; 02-25-2019, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Hi folks. I have been following your posts with great interest. I am currently Putting a BBS01B 36v 250w onto my wife's Charge Lazy Susan bike. It has a 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub gear/brake. I have replaced the original 42t chain ring for a 42t Lekkie bling ring. I was very excited to read that it was possible to swap the controller for a bit more oomph. I managed to get a bargain BBS02B 48v 750w for only £30. I to am curious as to whether I need a 36v or 48v battery. Any help from you guys would be gratefully received

Comment

That was a controller for the BBS02B not the motor for £30. I got it off eBay from a guy from Brussels. I don't know whether he was 6 foot 4 and full of muscles.
                            Last edited by spongebuddy; 03-01-2019, 04:07 AM.

Comment

• Tommycat
                              Tommycat commented
                              Editing a comment
                              lol...great, now I'll have that tune in my head all day... :-)

Oh and one more thing. If it is a 48v battery required. Would a 48v controller work at all with a 36v battery? As the bike is getting a nice respray this weekend and I have everything in bits. Could I swap the controllers over now before I put it all together? Or do I need to keep the 36v controller on the motor so that it will actually work until I can get a bigger battery? Hope this makes sense.

Comment

If you have programming cable you can check if low voltage cutoff can be set lower value (to ~31V). Otherwise if no cable or it cant be set lower to that value, then probably wont work. Is controller still selling on ebay or it was one time deal? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X