X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why don’t Bafangs have torque sensors?

I’ve ridden the Copenhagen wheel and loved it for the following reasons:
    • silent (no motor sound)
    • Feels like you’re still riding a bike but with superpowers (mostly because of the torque sensor, I’m told)
    • minimalist (no cables, attractive design, no screens, no throttles)

My wife and I are planning to buy a Madsen bucket bike. We would get a Copenhagen wheel but it doesn’t fit a Madsen. Also, it probably wouldn’t provide enough power.

Everyone seems to suggest we should get a mid-drive Bafang 750w+ motor, including Madsen. I’m skeptical it will work for us. Mainly because it doesn’t have a torque sensor. But also because I found a video of a guy riding up a hill and the motor sounds quite loud (link: YouTube · Caleb Achy Dad Clark0:38Throttle up hill with two kids Madsen Bucket Bike BaFang 1000W Mid DriveJul 4, 2017)

I understand it won’t be minimalist and can concede there but I won’t compromise on my other two points.

Can someone convince me why the Bafang is the right choice?

I didn't look at the video (I don't really do videos) but my BBSHD makes nearly no noise - the tires are the principal sound coming from mine.

The BBSHD has access to all the controller parameters so you can set it up in a way that works for your bike and your style. Personally I've never understood the attraction of a torque sensor and if I had one would almost certainly disable it...

Comment

Comparing a 350w hub motor with a 280wh battery to a killer mid-drive. Where does one start? The BBS is geared and so makes a slight whirring noise sometimes but gives great torque. The BBS has a crank sensor so you have pedal assist(superpowers). You can run the BBS without a display or throttle if you really truly want to.

Comment

The new Bafang mid drives have torque sensors but one needs a special frame. I have never uses a torque but would like to try. There are after market torque sensors available, I have not tried any though.

Comment

Originally posted by AZguy View Post
          The BBSHD has access to all the controller parameters so you can set it up in a way that works for your bike and your style.
          can you give an example of how you would set it up so it works for your style?

Comment

I ride a fat bike (4.7" x 26"), I have one leg, I ride in Arizona deserts and mountains so what works for me may not work for someone else.

For cruising I set my PAS parameters to deliver constant power with the PAS levels increasing geometrically (exponentially) with every two steps roughly doubling power:
            step 1.4214
            0 N/A N/A N/A
            1 6% 1.8A 90W
            2 9% 2.7A 135W
            3 12% 3.6A 180W
            4 17% 5.1A 255W
            5 24% 7.2A 360W
            6 35% 10.5A 525W
            7 49% 14.7A 735W
            8 70% 21.0A 1050W
            9 100% 30.0A 1500W

When off-road I change to throttle-controlled constant-power operation that allows for simultaneous pedaling. I've got a circuit to make it so both can work but yet to install it so for now I just load whichever set is appropriate...
            Last edited by AZguy; 08-10-2018, 09:05 AM.

Comment

One way that the BBS02 middrive unit shines over other competition like the Bosch is the ability to program the controller yourself. Although the process of programming the controller will void any warranty that you got with the unit, to many people the risk of voiding their warranty is outweighed by the possibility of getting…

Comment

Working...
              X