Lost spped display and got Error 21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost spped display and got Error 21

I have a BBS02 48 V. 750 W motor with a C961 display. Error 21 "Speed sensor abnormality", I have replace the pickup (the red led is on) but no change in display. The display turns on for about 30 seconds and then goes blank except for the error message 21. PAS works and you can change it while the display is on, after it goes blank the PAS will not change. If the brakes are applied the display comes on for another 30 seconds, at which time you can change PAS setting. All the wiring seems good. Question: Is it a display problem, or is it likely that a wire is loose in the controller? (it is an early BBS02)

Hi engineer and welcome to the forum!

Error 21 - Speed sensor error
    . Your speed sensor is disconnected or broken...check it or replace it. It may be that the sensor is not fully plugged in, not fully screwed into the plug, or that the
    magnet is too far from the sensor.
    See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub motor E-Bike build HERE.

Comment

I have replaced the speed sensor with a new one and the magnet is .050 away from the sensor as it swings by, the connections looks good and the wires to the motor are not crimped, the red light on the speed sensor comes on when the display is turned on (and remains on when the display goes blank). The only place I have not checked connections is on the controller in the motor housing.

I assume the red and black are the + & - and the white wire is the "pulsed" wire?

I traced the wires from the sensor to the controller inside the housing, all have continuity. Could it be the controller?
      Last edited by engineer; 08-22-2018, 02:56 PM. Reason: Did more "digging"

Comment

Found the problem! After purchasing a new controller from Luna and installing it the problem was still there. Never ignore the simple solution. I made the assumption that the magnet attached to the spoke was "all" magnet, no,the magnet is directional meaning one side is a magnet the other side is not. Somewhere along the line the magnet was flipped 180 degrees and there was no magnet to sense as the wheel turned. So now I have spare parts!

A second comment: the Luna controller acts differently from the original on the PAS function: where the original controller defined speed (RPM of the motor) the Luna controller defines torque - I have mine set up with 9 steps on the PAS: 1= 100 watts of power to the motor, 2= 200 watts to the motor, etc. it does not matter what speed you are traveling or what gear you are set in. The throttle control works slightly differently, the old controller went from 0 to 100% of the set RPM of the PAS setting, the Luna controller goes from 0 to 100% of torque. All in all I like the Luna controlled better, it defines effort rather than speed.

Comment

Glad you got your issue fixed! Is it true that the light goes out every time the sensor magnet passes by?
          See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub motor E-Bike build HERE.

Comment

• engineer
            engineer commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, that little red light turns off every time the magnet goes by! I wish I had known that before I purchased all these "spare parts". But I did add a temp readout to my controller, we do have one problem here in Reno, Nv. When it is 100 degrees outside the controller gets to 130 degrees fast!, down in the 70's rarely does it get that high.

• Tommycat
            Tommycat commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the conformation. A motor temp sensor always a plus! Hey any chance you got a wiring pin-out for that speed sensor?

I did not ring out my speed sensor, sorry.

This is how i have my bike set up, the top display the temp of the controller, then the normal Bafang display, and because that display did not give me amps/ battery voltage/ and watts being used I added the last meter.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by engineer; 10-28-2018, 05:14 PM.

Comment

• Tommycat
            Tommycat commented
            Editing a comment
            Rats, well if you do...let me know so we can finish this pin-out diagram! (gear sensor too you get a bonus, well at least an ata boy...)

Gave me a laugh tho… brilliant minds think alike. ;-)

Working...
        X