Lights for Bafang mid drive kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lights for Bafang mid drive kit

I have a bafang mid drive kit installed and working great. Pretty happy with the result.

Suggestions to hook up integrated lights?

I'd like to have the lights run off the battery. No sense in adding more battery when the bike already has a massive battery.

If there is not a way to safely or easily run lights off the existing battery, suggestions on great light kits?

I have the:
    Bafang 750W BBS02
    C961 display
    Jumbo Shark 48V 17.5ah

Thanks

Tim

You can order voltage drop down converters from China that are reasonable. Check Alibaba. I got some that go up to 60v and drop down to 12v for use with a couple of spares just in case they don't last forever. Seems like they were $15 or so each. I am going to install a cigarette lighter socket under the seat so I can use fast charge USB adapters for a wireless cellphone charger/holder. Also going to wire up a headlight, tail light, and bright blue LEDs on the back. You can buy newer ebike LED headlights that run off 6v to 75v although they start around $200 now that are German engineered and lumens comparable to auto headlights. Look up Supernova bike lights and Schmidt Edulux lights on Google with something like 1600 lumen. I bet there will be cheap competition soon.

Comment

• JPLabs
      JPLabs commented
      Editing a comment
      Amazon and ebay have them cheap and a lot faster, too. I think mine was 12 bucks on ebay. 60v > 12V 10A

I am running a parallel circuit off the 48 volt main battery to a cheap converter and it is working great for a 13 watt led head light 4 watt rear trailer marker light on a strobe controller with 2x2 watt amber leds for side clearance lights.Had some issues earlier with er30 codes but I think something else was going on not associated with the battery tap.

Comment

There are lots of 60V headlight options, too, but all have pretty crappy optics. So do most 12V lights, but you can find more/better options for 12V.

I use 60V headlights direct wired, and I upgrade the optics for a good pattern. I like adding a small handlebar switch for easy on/off with thumb action. Often I use a 2nd light as low beam, and just toggle the brighter 60V one as a high beam when I need it, or to get attention in intersections.

I might swap to 12V, since I have that available for my heated grips, if I find a nice 12V light I like. So, share what you find, if you go that way, please!

Here's a start: Google images for "60v" LED
      Last edited by JPLabs; 10-27-2018, 08:15 AM.
      Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Here is what I have going.BBS02 48 volt 10amh converter and strobe control in the grey waterproof j- box to eliminate splices out in the open.All on one handle bar switch.
        The lights are ;18 watt flood head light no strobe/4 watt red trailer clearance light for tail / 2 amber clearance lights on the sides of the j-box.Both tail and sides are run off the strobe controller.
        Works great and was about 60 dollars for all the parts.May add head light strobe switch down the road.

Comment

• JPLabs
          JPLabs commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice setup! I especially like the strobe controller idea. Does it have variable rate? Constant-on option?

The strobe is fixed.Might wire in a switch to strobe the headlight for daytime running light.

Comment

• Rider
          Rider commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you have a picture and link to the strobe you used? I have a 6V head & tail light running off a BBS02B controller with light wire, but would like to have both light strobe. Thanks.

OK thanks, Cuda.

What do you use for switches?

---

I hope you don't mind if I add a supporting question in your thread:

Has anybody found a very compact, handlebar switch unit with 2-3 switches in it? I use the below for headlight high beam, but would like to add switches for tail and low beams, too, all independent. This is only about 23mm wide. I'd like 3 switches in a narrow form factor like that. I mount these upside down, next to my Left Thumb Throttle (inboard) for easy thumb access with my hands on the bars. They look pretty subtle if hanging down under the bars instead of poking out above.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the closest I've found to what I want, but not very close at all, really. I don't need turn, horn is momentary, it's wide, and it's not elegant. I want 3 dots, vertical, or maybe toggles, but small!

Last edited by JPLabs; 11-05-2018, 07:38 AM.
        Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

I have one single pole switch on the handle bar to switch on all the lights.
          When I get some time I will install a double pole in the j-box to be able to switch the headlight between constant and strobe.

Comment

• JPLabs
            JPLabs commented
            Editing a comment
            That looks easier to work with winter gloves on. Neat.

My Bafang BBSHD motor came with an extra 6V 500mA wire coming out from the controller for E-bike Lights. When I ordered my system I had the option to order a system with or without this extra cable. The controller has an optional daughter board, a current regulator integrated for that purpose.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	1.82 MB ID:	78734

The lights are operated from the display controller or automatically using the light sensor of the DCP-18 display.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	1.88 MB ID:	78740

I tested the wire using a multimeter and it delivers 6.24V, so I purchased an AXA Blueline 50 E-bike Headlight and an AXA Blueline Steady 80mm taillight to complete my project.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	1.77 MB ID:	78735

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	2.22 MB ID:	78736

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	1.93 MB ID:	78737

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	2.02 MB ID:	78738
          Last edited by Stavros; 11-22-2018, 06:43 AM.

Comment

• Rider
            Rider commented
            Editing a comment
            This is the same general setup I use on my BBS02B that has the extra shift sensor and light wires coming out of the controller.

Do you know if a flasher can be added to this setup; possibly an inline electrical component?

I like to run flashing lights even during the day to make sure cars see me on the road.

• graemev
            graemev commented
            Editing a comment
            stavos. I have a recent version of the 250w middrive kit (photos will follow) I have the same 6v light connectors. The kit came with a front light. I'd like to add a rear light . I see you have both front and rear but only a single pair of connectors on the motor . Did you add a y adaptor, of do the lights come with piggyback style ? ... in short how did yo run t two lights off a single pair of cables?

This is the 12 volt strobe control iIused. Super Bright Led Lights.com

Comment

• Rider
            Rider commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, I will check that site out.

I'm looking to add a bunch of add on safety equipment so this thread is very helpful. My very first day commuting to work on my brand new ebike I was stopped at a red light, when a girl turning left decided to use my lane as her own. I was 6 inches away from ending up on her hood, which is why I want to install a car horn for idiots like that.

I plan on adding a second handle bar, and mounting a headlight and horn to it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	71LFchCVB+L._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	7078
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	86228Click image for larger version

Name:	61+uaPdqIyL._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	7000
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	86229Click image for larger version

Name:	61edUPtAAKL._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	6918
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	86230

The headlight has a low orange road light as well as a high white flood light. The strobe control is also a really good idea for using my white lights in the day. I was thinking of mounting a three position switch on the second handle bar so that I can switch between the different modes when I need to. 1 = orange, 2 = white, 3 = white strobe. Then wire that into another switch on my main handle bar that will operate my horn and light.

And since that handle bar switch has a turn signal light, I figured that I may as well install some for added security when turning with my hands at night. I found a good motorcycle rear light system that should work great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	513ouxNnozL._SL1001_.jpg
Views:	6974
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	86231Click image for larger version

Name:	51Q71qs52zL._SL1001_.jpg
Views:	6947
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	86232Click image for larger version

Name:	81S5GoT5qOL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	6992
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	86233

All of these systems run on 12 volts, so I was planning on using the same DC converter that Cuda used. However I don't have a spare cord in my BBSHD to splice these systems into. What is the best way to do this?

Comment

Working...
          X