Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The unfortunate state of the "Cheap" BBS02...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The unfortunate state of the "Cheap" BBS02...

I recently built a BBS02 mid drive kit onto my Yuba - it's honestly Fabulous!

HOWEVER - unfortunately, I did not know in advance of my very expensive purchase that the Bafang cranks were very "Cheap."

After less that 300m on my new ebike, one pedal completely fell out of the crank. This is the first time this has ever happened to me, for the many, many bikes I've built and ridden.

Just to confirm my perspective (buyers be ware) - feedback from Luna's customer support:

"The crank arm bolt was tightened too tightly. Unfortunately we don’t cover this. The Bafang Crank Arms are known to be cheap and are part of a cost saving measure to keep the kit affordable. You can use any square taper crank though. A popular choice are the Shimano Steps: https://www.ebikeoutpost.com/product...-crank-arm-set"

Which isn't exactly helpful feedback - but given the nature of the DIY customer base on Luna Cycles I was expecting better messaging online, and better support (that didn't presuppose that I'd made some mistake?).

Anyhow, thought that any potential buyers out there should know.

Cheers!

It's not exactly a secret the stock cranks are not great.. This is detailed in the wiki which is linked from the listing with a big orange notification that wiki should be read and bookmarked. The wiki also lists multiple aftermarket options.

That said, if it is installed using a torque wrench following the torque specs on the manual you will probably get decent life out of the stock ones, as long as it is kept in mind that the metal can deform from tightening, or under tightening, impacts, or anything else that overly stresses the tapered hole. Once it starts to deform it'll never be tight again. Perhaps Scott should have couched his reply in a ''probably', I am sure he did not mean to offend.

Ultimately there's always going to be things that you may want to improve, upgrade, modify etc. Not just the cranks but upgrading to color display, adding a gearsensor, waterproofing the grommet where the controller wiring exits, dielectric grease on discharge contacts, fine tuning the controller programming for your riding style, upgrading the chainring to a Lekkie and so on. A lot of people appreciate that level of optional customization while building off a relatively affordable base. While it would be nice if Bafang could include all that for the same pricing it's not really realistic and not everyone would necessarily want to pay a premium for things not wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by boonespooner View Post
      After less that 300m on my new ebike, one pedal completely fell out of the crank.
      Wait ... the pedal fell out of the crank (arm), as in the pedal threads in the crank arm failed (or something like this)?

Usually the crank arm issues are at the other (tapered) end.

A picture might help. And congrats on your Yuba build - what model?
      Last edited by ncmired; 09-12-2018, 08:01 AM.
      BBSHD/BBS02B builds: IGH 1 2 3 4 5 6

Comment

That can happen when the arms are on the wrong sides. Very bad form for cs to bash the very products they are selling.

Comment

Originally posted by ncrkd View Post
          Wait ... the pedal fell out of the crank (arm), as in the pedal threads in the crank arm failed (or something like this)?

Usually the crank arm issues are at the other (tapered) end.

A picture might help. And congrats on your Yuba build - what model?
          Good catch, unless it was cross threaded by screwing in the wrong direction that should not have happened.

OP please PM me your order number and we will have a replacement set shipped.

Comment

Originally posted by max_volt View Post
            That can happen when the arms are on the wrong sides.
            Damn ... that too!
            BBSHD/BBS02B builds: IGH 1 2 3 4 5 6

Comment

Working...
            X