Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeffeby
    commented on 's reply
    Replaced the controller and there is no change in the behavior of my BBSHD. I have gone through and checked all connections, removed the additional stuff (ebrakes, gearsensor, etc) and gone through all of the posts in the "BBSHD Troubleshooting Random issues on unit still moving" string. Another $100 that I might as well have lit on fire. The only thing left is the motor. But it can't be the motor. "It is not the motor." An emphatic statement that is wrong is just lousy advice.
    I guess I will order a bare motor. That will give me a total of three working controllers. How useful. I guess that is better that throwing the whole thing in a dumpster.

• jeffeby
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks. I closely examined all of the connections when I took it apart to check the nylon gear so I will give swapping out the controller a try.

• paxtana
    commented on 's reply
    It's not the motor. DC motors are fairly simple things, unless there's something mechanical like a bad bearing or it was smoked from lugging it, or it was tossed in the ocean or something like that, motor should be fine. And honestly even the controller may be fine, like I said there's things to check on that link. Even the video showing how a loose phase wire between controller and motor can cause this intermittent functionality and might only require unplugging phase and plugging back in. In any case it never hurts to have spare parts sitting around, great for troubleshooting.

• jeffeby
    commented on 's reply
    I guess the question is, "Is it the motor or is it the controller?" If I buy a new controller and it ends up being the motor, then I will have to buy a new BBSHD Bare bones and end up with one motor and three controllers. Or I could just buy a Bare Bones from the start and be done with it. Not a great place to be when the old one has less than 20 miles on it. Are there any diagnostics that can be done on the controller?

• paxtana
    commented on 's reply
    Sounds like time to start swapping parts then.

• jeffeby
    commented on 's reply
    After removing all of the additional stuff (throttle, brakes, gear sensor, speedometer) and only having the display connected it still acts the same. Unfortunately, no error messages have been triggered.

• paxtana
    commented on 's reply
    That's a good step towards troubleshooting. Try out some of the other steps here as well
    https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...t-still-moving

Paying particular attention to removing any additional stuff you may have attached whether that is ebrakes or gearsensor, and seeing if you have (!) on your display.

• jeffeby
    commented on 's reply
    Definitely not a battery issue.Tried it with a friend's 52v triangle battery exactly like mine with the same result. The motor usually tries to turn when I use the throttle, sometimes making it a half turn before it stops. Occasionally it will spin fast like it should for several revolutions before it dies. In assist mode for the most part you can barely tell there is a motor, sporadically kicking in for brief moments.

• paxtana
    commented on 's reply
    Possibly a high resistance connection or the controller is going bad. If you are using a hardcase pack check the contacts between case and cradle. You can also bypass battery using charger as power source while testing on a stand to see if problem persists.

• jeffeby
    replied
    Something has gone wrong with my BBSHD after a couple of weeks of riding. Almost a total loss of power. The Power indicator fluctuates wildly. There is quite a bit of drag when I walk the bike in reverse so I thought Nylon Reduction Gear had just gone bad. I ordered a new one and after waiting for a month for it to come off of Backorder I took the motor apart to find that the Nylon Gear looked just fine. Replaced it and regreased anyway, put it back together and it still acts the same way. Any ideas?

Leave a comment:

• Dyne
    replied
    Thanks for your reply. My battery was flown in luggage from usa to norway so it needed to be disassembled not to brake the rules. I assembled it here in norway but as I found out when I opened the battery, one of the welds had poor contact.
    I replaced the controller and rebuilt the battery. Its working well now.

Leave a comment:

• Sebz
    commented on 's reply
    Hey Dyne,

Was your pack cold when you went out? temperature affect Li-ion batteries, read more here:

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...li-ion-battery

• paxtana
    commented on 's reply
    If the display stays on and no error code and you have already unplugged all peripherals I would pull the controller and make sure you don't have a phase wire coming loose.

https://youtu.be/W0Q33n-aI7U

• Dyne
    replied
    Something has happened to my bbshd when it became cold and winter. Suddenly it's stops giving power. The display and speed works fine and it's says the battery has charge. It can stop halfway up a hill and it won't give any power when I pedal. I put on the throttle and it's the same thing. It doesn't give any power regardless.

Leave a comment:

• Bizman
    replied
    I wanted to update the forum about my repairs regarding post #34 above concerning my BBSHD humming at low speed and the 750c display reading 28 watts "while pedaling", using "0" PAS.

Replacing the controller (covered under warranty) solved the problem with the display reading 28 watts while pedaling using "0" PAS, it now reads "0" watts.

I was informed from Luna that the hum is normal in the later 2017 model BBSHD motors. Here is their response:

"Well looks like it’s normal, Bafang changed the firmware a couple months ago and the newer hums slightly too. The previous version (early 2017) does not".

I would like to thank everyone from Luna and this forum who had ideas with things to check! It took a bit to sort out, but things look to be operating normal now with the display and per Luna's discription of the problem with the hum. Thanks very much everyone!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X