A way to Stabilize Bafang BBSHD motor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A way to Stabilize Bafang BBSHD motor

Since I had already found a lot of reports about the fixed holder slipping down with time ( I thing this is a construction weakness of the system), I decided to take measures before having to deal with the problem and stabilize BBSHD from the beginning of the build: http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...my-first-build.

In a boat shop I found a stainless steel Jaw/Jaw Tubular Turnbuckle T Toggle used in sailing and using washers I managed to fit it between the upper hole of the motor and the lower water bottle hole at the seat tube.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	78742

Name:	
Views:	2
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	78743

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	78744

Check the clearance with the Battery in this last picture.

Name:	
Views:	2
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	78745

This turnbuckle provides very strong and presentable support for the weight of the motor, is adjustable in length and its movable joints makes it very versatile. Many bikes have already installed 5mm rivnuts at the seat tube or the down tube and if not it is very easy to install one at a convenient place in order to avoid using any hose clamps.

Last edited by Stavros; 11-21-2018, 03:33 AM.

Very creative! I haven't had any problem with mine slipping but will keep that solution in mind in case I see it down the road.

Comment

About 600km and 4 months after initial installation I noticed a slight up-down movement of my BBSHD motor.

I checked the outer aluminum ring nut, I could unscrew it by hand! The same for the inner steel ring nut!

The movement of the motor was insignificant and there was no damage to my aluminum frame by the teeth of the Y shaped fix holder of the BBSHD motor thanks to my motor stabilizer!

I removed the crank screw and the crank and tighten the ring nuts using Blue locktite a corresponding torque wrench and the special tool for each ring nut.

Comment

Working...
      X