BBSHD Stutter on throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBSHD Stutter on throttle

My BBSHD kit has aprox 600 miles on it. I have had zero issues with it since installing on bike 4 months ago. Up until mid October, I was using 3 Ryobi 4ah drill batteries in series to power the bike. I had no issues in that time with the BBSHD or the batteries(other than low distances before recharging). Mid October I finally purchased a 52V 12.5ah Battery pack( the panasonic 25R 650W soft pack). It says it does 50 amps continuous, 80 amps for short bursts. It is connected to BBSHD with XT90s. All parts from Luna(no cheap nock offs).
    Now for the problem. When I use the throttle, I get a 1 or 2 second "stutter" from BBSHD. Its feels like when the gear sensor detects a gear shift and shuts off motor for a second then kicks back in. The odd part is I am not shifting when it happens. I do use a Nexus 3spd IGH on this bike, but i always start in 2nd gear, and never shift to 3rd until i hit around 27-28mph. I only use 3rd for flats that I want to hit 40 on. The bike never did this with my Ryobi batteries(which should be junk compared to the new pack). I have charged the pack to 100% full for the last few tests so they are all the same and fully balanced. No change.
    Any body else have/ had this issue? Any ideas to "fix" it? I do have a prog cable, but have not changed any settings from what came new from Luna(Hot Rod Programming). Any recommendations on which programming file is best(Karls, em3ev, etc)?
    I am trying at the least to determine the battery pack not being at fault(in case it needs replacement under warrenty). But also due to the fact I plan to change out the controller to a Phaserunner or Ludi controller. If the battery pack is reason this happens, it would be much worse with new controller. Any ideas are appreciated.
    Thanks
    Doug

If you are seeing it without load you can put it up on a stand and test it using the charger to power the kit, see if the problem remains. As well as plugging in your old pack to see any difference. Lithium doesn't really 'stutter' so that's probably not the issue, but might help you narrow it down to the real issue.

Try checking out this page and following the step by step guide including bypassing the battery to use the charger as power source.
    https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...bbshd-or-bbs02

Comment

I`ve had this on both my 02 and HD builds. Turned out it was that little magnet on the brake lever that cuts the motor, it was moved back a fraction and all was well.
      Strange it didn`t display that `engine light` error on the display though.

Comment

Thanks for some responses. It does not happen under zero load. Also, I do not use brake cut offs or display. It is a stealth install. I do have the speed sensor, and shift sensor installed. Wish I could do without the speed sensor, that little magnet has to be realigned and tightened every week or so. I am going to unplug shift sensor and see what happens tomorrow, as I have tried numerous programing files and it seems to happen with all of them to a degree.

Comment

Working...
        X