Replacing the power wires on a BBSHD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing the power wires on a BBSHD

I want to replace the Red/Black motor to battery wires on my BBSHD.

I need to thread the power wires through a tight space on my fat bike bottom bracket
    The spiced connection is really thick and not able to make a nice bend because it is so rigid

Currently there are two different wire gauges that were spliced/crimped together from the motor to the battery

It looks to me like 12 gauge wire is exiting the motor
    Then 10 gauge silicone wire goes to the battery

I have never taken the controller plate off to have a look inside, but from the picture below, it looks to be rather straight forward.
    The photo below was taken from a LUNA BBSHD tear down video on youtube

Some Questions:
    It looks like the external battery power wires are Red/Black and the internal motor wires are Yellow/Green?

It looks like there is some sort of gray epoxy on the inside of the controller cover?

Because of that epoxy, It looks like it could be difficult to thread in new wire through that gray epoxy?

Use 12 gauge or 10 gauge silicone wire?

Thanks for any help on this

The yellow, gray, and blue connectors are the controller phase wires to the motor.

The red and black power wires end inside that gray potting. If it's soft silicone potting, you can carve it out, with patience and care. If it's hard epoxy, which I have some of in a couple controllers, forget it.

Your best bet is to make a splice outside the motor, if you can. You can form the wire joints to curve, before soldering, if you need to. Then seal and shrink wrap. Double shrink wrap, better still. one for each, one for both.

I'd try to splice as far from the motor as I could, if I were you, to save some wire for future repairs. Even if routing was not ideal. You don't want to have to cut the wire off to change a controller, so no feeding through frame holes before soldering, either, if you can avoid it.

Hope that helps.
    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

I ended up replacing/splicing the battery wires with some 10 gauge silicon wires and that has worked out great

Comment

Here's a dirty bike image of the 10 gauge silicone wire harness I added

Comment

Nice, thanks for the follow-up.
          Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

I took this dirty bike pic the other day while I had the rear wheel off.

I put a XT90 connector on the shortened motor wires
            I made a XT90 10 gauge silicone wire extension up to the battery.
            I also 3D printed a clamp to hold the wire close to the frame away from the rear wheel

This was the only wire routing option I had
            So far it has worked out great
            There is lots of space between the tire and the wire on my Fat bike

Click image for larger version  Name:	Img_1188.jpg Views:	2 Size:	141.2 KB ID:	91969

Comment

Working...
            X