BBSHD with Luna Eclipse Chainring - Chain Skipping on Rear Cassette

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBSHD with Luna Eclipse Chainring - Chain Skipping on Rear Cassette

I converted a 2012 Trek Fuel with BBSHD and Eclipse chain ring with Deore XT rear cassette. Under heavy load uphill, the chain will skip a tooth on the rear cassette which is pretty jolting. The chain is aligned almost perfectly. It only skips when I'm in the 3 higher gears (the smallest rear sprockets). I think perhaps my Shimano Deore XT Cassette might be the culprit. Has anyone had this problem and know a good solution? Perhaps a more robust (taller tooth) rear cassette?
    Last edited by sbflyer; 05-10-2019, 08:13 PM.

It's quite likely the cassette - I've got the same derailleur and had the same cassette... the top gears get a lot of stress if you ride with too low a pedal cadence and it's extremely difficult to see the deformities in the teeth that will cause the chain to skate if that's what's happening (sounds that way tho)

SunRace makes excellent cassettes with steel cogs, they are very reasonable expenses and you can get them in very wide ratio. If you go with the wide ratio you can often go with a taller chain ring. I'm using the CSMS8 EAZ: http://www.sunrace.com/en/products/detail/csms8

The keys to preventing it for me were:

Don't run low cadence in high gears, try and maintain at least 60rpm and 70rpm or more is better, especially under high loads

Use a cassette with a steel cogset

Use a wide ratio cassette and taller chain ring so that the highest gear isn't often used, the fewer the teeth the earlier they will deform so running on the larger cogs is better - save the small one or two for infrequent high-speed runs

Comment

Originally posted by AZguy View Post
      It's quite likely the cassette - I've got the same derailleur and had the same cassette... the top gears get a lot of stress if you ride with too low a pedal cadence and it's extremely difficult to see the deformities in the teeth that will cause the chain to skate if that's what's happening (sounds that way tho)

SunRace makes excellent cassettes with steel cogs, they are very reasonable expenses and you can get them in very wide ratio. If you go with the wide ratio you can often go with a taller chain ring. I'm using the CSMS8 EAZ: http://www.sunrace.com/en/products/detail/csms8

The keys to preventing it for me were:

Don't run low cadence in high gears, try and maintain at least 60rpm and 70rpm or more is better, especially under high loads

Use a cassette with a steel cogset

Use a wide ratio cassette and taller chain ring so that the highest gear isn't often used, the fewer the teeth the earlier they will deform so running on the larger cogs is better - save the small one or two for infrequent high-speed runs
      Thanks AZguy. I'm confident the problem is with my Shimano cassette which obviously isn't deigned for the continuous 1500 watts of torque in high gear. The teeth don't have any wear or damage but the teeth themselves are short. Have you come across a brand/model that simply provides longer teeth for better hookup and less likely to skip? I figure there must be a company out there that makes a cassette with slightly longer gear teeth for ebikes with lots of torque but I haven't seen any mention of it anywhere.
      Last edited by sbflyer; 05-13-2019, 09:53 PM.

Comment

The teeth aren't any longer on the sunrace - frankly I think if they are longer you might likely end up with shifting issues.... these guys know what they are doing with these derailleur systems and if they could be longer, they likely would be

I'm doing great with the sunrace cassette with all steel cogs with the deore XT derailleur I *really* like this derailleur!) - they are much tougher than the aluminum ones on the shimano cassette and compared to the shimano 11-46t, I prefer the gear steps on the sunrace 11-46t (CSMS8 EAZ): http://www.sunrace.com/en/products/detail/csms8

Comment

Working...
        X