BBSHHD on tandem bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBSHHD on tandem bike

I have a tandem bike that I want to electrify. If I go with a center motor like the bafang bbshd I would need to install it with the chain ring on the left side of the frame instead of an the right side. Is it possible to do that mechanically with the Bafang motor ? And if so, can I get then program it to run in reverse or is that not possible/recommended ? In which case, do you have any better suggestions as to how to electrify a tandem bike ?

Reversing the motor won't work because of the one way clutch inside the chainring that allows the motor to go faster than the pedals. I would look into putting the BBSHD in the front and drive to one of the chainrings on a double or triple crankset at the middle, and then a 2nd chain to the rear. BBSHDs are 1x drivetrain anyway. you might get 2x out of that setup. If you build it with a suitable IGH you can run much thicker single speed chains.
    King of the hill would be a BBSHD with Wippermann 1E8 single speed e bike chains, and a Rohloff hub. But that hub will double the cost of the project.
    IGH nubs have an overdrive gearing that allows good speed running off of the middle chainring. What are you going to do for brakes? Personally I would run 200mm Avid BB7 cable discs with metallic pads. But many others prefer the newer hydraulic stuff. The cable brakes would be easier to set up the long run to the rear wheel.
    Last edited by Retrorockit; 05-17-2019, 01:29 PM.

Comment

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...dem-conversion

Comment

Working...
      X