Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBSHD stopped working with no error codes on the display

Hello, fellow electric bikers.

I commute on a BBSHD bike. One day, on my way back, it suddenly stopped working. My Bafang 500C display turns on fine, seem to be quite normal, and does not show any error code. When I try to use my throttle, it occasionally kicks in but not quite often. I have been using Luna's default programming, although I bought the Luna programming cable. Even when I plugged in the Luna programming cable, it does not turn on the motor. I tried Luna's troubleshooting guide, but I could not pinpoint the cause of the problem. I cannot think of what can be wrong anymore.

Probably, my controller needs to be replaced? How can I make sure that I need to replace it? I don't want to spend a decent amount of money to test whether my controller is defective or not.

Please advise me. Thanks!

I noticed that the led on the speed sensor does not turn on. Is it supposed to turn on when the battery is connected?

By the way, my BBSHD is bought back in 2016 from Luna. My battery pack is the old-style Dolphin one.

Comment

The Led on the speed sensor should blink on and off when the wheel is spun.
      Sometimes the magnet on the wheel gets loose and falls off or rotates around the spoke so that its too far away from the pickup in the sensor.
      Usually this gets reported by the display as an error, but if the led isnt blinking when the wheel is spun and the magnet is OK, then its possible the pickup is itself faulty.

Comment

Originally posted by vivaldi View Post
        I noticed that the led on the speed sensor does not turn on. Is it supposed to turn on when the battery is connected?

By the way, my BBSHD is bought back in 2016 from Luna. My battery pack is the old-style Dolphin one.
        Originally posted by mauried View Post
        The Led on the speed sensor should blink on and off when the wheel is spun.
        Sometimes the magnet on the wheel gets loose and falls off or rotates around the spoke so that its too far away from the pickup in the sensor.
        Usually this gets reported by the display as an error, but if the led isnt blinking when the wheel is spun and the magnet is OK, then its possible the pickup is itself faulty.
        Thanks for the reply. I just tested it again, and the speed sensor seems to be working fine. It blinks properly when the magnet passes by it.

Comment

I hear very light hissing sound with the throttle, which might be normal or could be potentially some signs? As I said in the original post, the motor kicks in rare occasions with the throttle, but not quite often.

Comment

Do you have the skills to pull the motor apart and test the controller.
            It may be nothing more that a broken phase wire from the controller to the motor.
            AT the least you should try and determine whether the motor spins freely, and that none of the gears are stripped.
            Ive never pulled a BBSHD apart so I dont know whether the controller is servicable at all.

Comment

What would be the best ways to test the controller? Where to test with a multimeter? I can't think of other issues. I want to make sure that it is the controller's issue before ordering a replacement from Luna.

Comment

I don't have much experience repairing BBSHD motors but in my case, I did find my controller bad.
                To determine that I removed all accessories etc. that were not required for the unit to run. i.e. gear sensor, brake cut offs. I had error code 30 prior to my motor not running. I then disassembled the motor and check for mechanical issues. The gears spun freely and there were no broken teeth etc. Then I removed the controller and powered it with the battery. I guessed that the controller must supply 5 volts to the display, PAS and have some kind of logic voltage so I started probing. I probed for 5 volts and found none. The schematic pinout is somewhere on this forum. I asked the US Bafang rep for a schematic and they said they have none.
                The only 100% way to isolate the bad component is to replace it with a known good one. I took an educated guess and ordered a controller.
                So you plugged the programming cable in, the throttle should work if it doesn't then its likely the controller.
                Last edited by Renn; 06-19-2019, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Testing the controller isnt easy but a very crude test which may give some indication is to connect a multimeter on AC between any 2 of the phase wires and slowly advance the throttle.
                  You should read some voltage between 0 and whatever your battery voltage is .
                  Then do the same thing again between the other phase wires and do the same thing.
                  Repeat until you have done all 3 combinations .
                  In each case you should get the same voltage for the same throttle setting.
                  Its possible the controller will flag an error if you do this for too long, as it expects to sense an output from the speed sensor .
                  A better test is to connect some kind of resistive load like 3 10 ohm 10 watt resistors between the 3 phase windings and do the test again.
                  The resistors will all heat up and should be equally hot.
                  Another test would be to do the same as above, but this time connect the resistors to the motor side of the phase windings and spin the motor with something like an electric drill.
                  You should get a similar outcome , ie a voltage somewhere between 0 and your battery voltage, but the voltages should be similar for any of the 3 combinations .

Comment

I fixed it. I took out the controller and found out that the Anderson connector of the yellow wire got melt and the connection got lost. A long time ago, the green one got damaged and I soldered it. This time, I soldered the other two, not only the yellow one but also the blue one.

Anyone out there with Anderson connectors, please watch out!

Thanks for all the advice!

Comment

Working...
                    X