ASI BAC 800 controller for BBSHD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASI BAC 800 controller for BBSHD

Has anyone heard anything good or bad about the ASI BAC 800 controller for BBSHD?

Yeah it's amazing. My BBSHD is so much better. Makes the stock controller look like a dogs dinner.

Check my YouTube channel for some videos of it working etc...

https://youtu.be/2t6sOKqvWPo

Cheers

Comment

Nice vid......Are you planning on trying the 72v or are you staying with 52?

Comment

Thanks! I might get to that point but at the moment there is no 72 volt battery I like on the market. I use em3ev for my battery requirements as their quality and safety is top notch. Their 72 volt pack is massive and almost 2000 bucks canadian... I know people run lipo for 72 volt but I have no experience with such batteries, I think its likely that I will stick with 52 volts for the near future. Its enough for my requirements. I am looking to try the cyc x1 pro next which is actually rated for 300 watts so may well run cooler over a longer period of time.

Comment

• faargo.g
          faargo.g commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Captain. Is the ERT ASI BAC 800 different to the Grintech Phaserunner? Just wondering if you know what the diefferences are and which one I should go for. Strangely the Phaserunner is half the size of the ERT.

I 2nd the captain, I’m running the ert asi bac 800 With the 52v Luna wolf pack. It’s made my mid fat bike even more awesome. I’m sure it’s like the ludicrous controller. If Luna would make a 72v *dire* wolf pack, I’d try it.

Comment

• faargo.g
          faargo.g commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey mate. Is the controller from ERT easy to install? I see it comes with a BBSHD harness. do you know what the difference between the ERT ASI BAC 800 and the Grintech Phaserunner is? The Grintech one is about half the size, just wondering what the go is. Maybe its a newer or improved version.. or may even be older?

• CaptainCodswallop
          CaptainCodswallop commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah its just a case of taking off the old controller and plugging the new bits in. You can see some of it here as I am doing some waterproofing etc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXGPNPmohXw&t=6s The phase runner has similar tech but you will be doing more wiring etc. Although Grin have a video up now where they do put in a phase runner. You would also need to configure the settings and the ASI kit from ERT has very nice parameters already programmed. But both will give you good performance on your bike.

Originally posted by joost View Post
        I 2nd the captain, I’m running the ert asi bac 800 With the 52v Luna wolf pack. It’s made my mid fat bike even more awesome. I’m sure it’s like the ludicrous controller. If Luna would make a 72v *dire* wolf pack, I’d try it.
        Which pack do you have? I'm debating getting the 800 but I have the jumbo wolf 17ah pack.

Comment

• joost
          joost commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a wolf pack and a wolf pup pack the high power 12ah version.

The only batteries I have are 48v and 52v. 72v battery will buy later.
        In this case, install a 72v controller and use it as a 48v or 52v battery?

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainCodswallop View Post
          Yeah it's amazing. My BBSHD is so much better. Makes the stock controller look like a dogs dinner.

Cheers
          Hi CaptainCodswallop,

I have a BAC800 controller which i believe is setup for 48v tho I ordered 72v. I not here to to bad mouth anyone or company, I am just after some help since I am not getting any communication. I have bought a 72v battery controller and eggrider, so because of the money invested I want to get it going. Its all wired up just gives me an over-voltage fault hence I think it is a 48v profile.

I could go buy a phaserunner but I want to persevere with this unit since I think its from suitable for what I want.

I gather you programmed the controller yourself and from your comment on youtube you got the profile for the BBSHD from ERT. Is there anyway I can get my hands on the profile and a registration so I can update the profile from 48v to universal?

Thanks.

Comment

• CaptainCodswallop
            Editing a comment
            If you got it from ERT then and you are getting that message then you will likely be on the 52 volt configuration. It just needs remapping. ERT have a universal profile now which allows you to use any battery going without configuration. If you bought it from ERT then it is best to shoot Alan a text message and go from there.

The controllers are usually sent out locked. I got a very early one that was not restricted. It is very difficult to get a logon from ASI unless you buy from them direct.

I imagine Alan will be happy to help so that your investment is not wasted. He can be busy as I think the controller kits he gets are quite popular at the moment. Text is better than calling him for sure.

With your eggrider... did you get the 72 volt wiring loom? You need it to safely run your eggrider or it can damage the electronics. It should be supplied with the 72 volt kit.

I would ask for the universal profile.

Cheers

Thanks. I got an email saturday. I discharged the battery down to 81.4v and it works with fine, so somewhere above this voltage to fill charge at 82.9v it says over voltage.

I did notice alot of vibration though in the motor, makes me wonder if the rotor could do with balancing, anyone notice this?

Comment

• CaptainCodswallop
            Editing a comment
            It should be able to go up to 84 volts which is a full charge for a 72 volt battery. I am thinking that there is something set wrong still.

• jake2424
            jake2424 commented
            Editing a comment
            Did you ever get the vibration fixed?
            I installed the phase runner. As RPM increase, the motor spasms in a fashion where, it delivers lots of torque and no torque. Eventually, the chain fails off. The only way to stop it, is to shift to a higher gear, before the RPM increases much beyond the stock BBSHD controler.

Needless to say, this defeats one of the main benefits I was made to understand of the Phaserunner. High RPM, Low gear, eliminating heavy torque loads on the drive train

Originally posted by CaptainCodswallop View Post

Cheers

Hi CaptainCodswallop, I have seen your youtube videos...
          I am also running my Bafang BBHSD with the ASI BAC800 controller from ERT on my Enduro Ebike.
          I got the new universal profile that support 48 -72V and also have the Eggrider.

Were you successful creating Road and OffRoad Profiles with the EggRider?

I am using V2.4.11 Firmware and V2.4.18 EggRider App.

When making changes in ASI Setting on the EggRider and clicking on the “Write” button, I get “AsiSettingsOffRoadWrite response successfully” message, but Speed, Motor Amps and Power settings have no effects, either on Road or OffRoad Profiles, the ebike is always at full power and speed.

I also noticed that after you do the Power Down and go back to ASI Settings and do a “Read”, the value for “Motor Current (A) will be “0” for both Road and OffRoad. All other values remain as they were set…

Do you have the same problems?

Videos of my setup...

Cheers from fellow Canadian on the East Coast

Dan
          Last edited by papagino; 12-29-2019, 08:19 AM.

Comment

• CaptainCodswallop
            Editing a comment
            Hey, just picked this up, sorry about the wait. I have a feeling that the controller may not be accepting the settings from the eggrider. It should scale between the power levels you set. My old eggrider has never has this issue... however I have a newer egg display that I was setting up with the BAC800 to run the CYC X1 motor. I ran into this issue where it was not scaling the power levels. I did not investigate it too much as plans have changed a bit for that bike.

I will take a fresh look fairly soon and shoot George at eggbikes an email to see if there are any known issues with the latest firmware. I should be doing some videos on a new display soon that has much greater capabilities than the eggrider! Check out the ERT youtube channel for info on the NXT.

Your bike is amazing btw. Really nice features and it looks clean which is the hard thing to do with ebikes. I have never seen an electronic shifter quite like that before. Good stuff! What is the frame you are using? Are you diverting any airfow to the BAC800. Mine got close to 60C a few times in the summer and it was mounted on the downside. It starts to throttle back the power at that point. Cuttoff is 90C I think.

Just ordered this motor and controller. Any updates on this issue? Thanks

Comment

I currently have this setup. It’s been nothing but problems with the eggrider v2. I still haven’t gotten it to work. I hear it’s a compatibility problem with the eggrider display. At this point I’m not sure what to do. I’ve invested in both the asi controller and eggrider display. But it hasn’t worked. I like the minimalist look of the eggrider.

Apart of me wants to start over with the phaserunner but I already have so much invested in this setup I don’t want to spend even more on another setup.

Comment

2 weeks ago
              Hey, just picked this up, sorry about the wait. I have a feeling that the controller may not be accepting the settings from the eggrider. It should scale between the power levels you set. My old eggrider has never has this issue... however I have a newer egg display that I was setting up with the BAC800 to run the CYC X1 motor. I ran into this issue where it was not scaling the power levels. I did not investigate it too much as plans have changed a bit for that bike.

I will take a fresh look fairly soon and shoot George at eggbikes an email to see if there are any known issues with the latest firmware. I should be doing some videos on a new display soon that has much greater capabilities than the eggrider! Check out the ERT youtube channel for info on the NXT.

Your bike is amazing btw. Really nice features and it looks clean which is the hard thing to do with ebikes. I have never seen an electronic shifter quite like that before. Good stuff! What is the frame you are using? Are you diverting any airfow to the BAC800. Mine got close to 60C a few times in the summer and it was mounted on the downside. It starts to throttle back the power at that point. Cuttoff is 90C I think.
              Sorry for the late response CaptainCodswallop, The frame I am using is a EEB Enduro Frame I purchased about 2 years ago from EM3EV. My first build with this frame was with a 1000 watts (1800 Watts Max) Golden Motor Hub motor mounted on a 20" BMX rim with a 16" motocross tire. It was working fine, but Hub motors are heavy and they don't freewheel like mid drive motors, they are basically a giant dynamo, so it is almost impossible to pedal the bike without some motor assist .

You can see a video of this previous build in action here:

I choose to use a Bafang BBSHD for this current build, more torque, lighter, freewheel, and take advantage of gearing...

I put a lot of thinking in this current build, to make it super clean: the controller, cruise control module, DIY electronic shifter, Bafang GearShift sensor, Remote Start with Alarm module and 10 Amps DC to DC 5V converter, are all mounted inside the battery compartment of the EEB enduro ebike frame, so all wires are hidden and will not be exposed to mud or water.

The heatsink of the ASI controller is actually mounted flush outside the bike frame and is facing the front of the bike for maximum cooling. It is also sealed so water can't get inside the battery compartment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200122_213331231.jpg
Views:	3046
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	100305
              Controller heatsink outside bike frame facing front of the bike for maximum cooling.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200122_213345027.jpg
Views:	3044
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	100306
              DIY e-shifter on the left, ASI BAC800 controller on the right. These components are located underneath the battery pack (Not Shown).

I have setup the cruise control in a way that when it is activated, it disable the pedal assist function, that way, you set your speed and decide how much force you put on the pedals... if any ;o).

I designed the electronic shifter because I found it difficult to use a conventional shifter on the handlebar with a twist throttle, you basically have to let go the throttle to shift gears...
              The shifter's control buttons are mounted on the left side of the handlebar and it is working flawlessly, holding the down shift button for more than half a second also place the bike on first gear, so I don't have to hit the switch many time when coming to a stop. There is also a 7 Segment LED Display that show gear currently in use for the electronic shifter mounted on the right side of the handlebar next to the throttle.

I have a background in mechanical engineering and electronics, own a 3D printer, and can design very complex thing, so this build is/was an easy task for me...

Other than the problems we are having with the Eggrider/ASI controllers compatibility issues, the bike is almost done.

I will be posting lots of quality videos of my cycling rides next summer, I just purchased over $700 worth of camera gears (360 deg HD cam, mounts, mic...) for quality contents to add to my "Enduro eBike Addict" youtube channel.

So keep in touch...

Cheers
              Dan
              Last edited by papagino; 01-22-2020, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• CaptainCodswallop
                Editing a comment
                Your bike looks amazing! I love the way the controller sits in the frame. I was very tempted by the 360 camera mount. When I get my trailer done I might try mounting one on that... I'll look forward to watching your stuff! Cheers
            Working...
            X