Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ideal chaintrain for a Kalkhoff commuter with a BBSHD

hello ladies and gentlemen,

I am a newbie for Martinique, a french caribbean Island which is very very hilly.

Excuse my english because my native language is french.

I have a 20 miles commute each day with a few very long rolling hills each way. I guess climbing is probably about 500-600 feet cumulated each way.

I'm building up a Kalkhoff Agattu XXl 27 as a commuter around a BBSHD kit, it is a german bike for heavy guys.

I am 6.5" tall and I weigh about 280lbs (I swear I'll make a good diet !). I have two questions:

- Can the BBSHD meet my needs
    - What would be the Ideal chain train Chainring and cassette cogs derailleurs ?
    - I would like to purchase a 3 speed Sturmey and Archer IGH , is it a good or bad idea in my situation ?

Thanks for your inputs !!

Greetings, and welcome to the forum. Martinique looks like a beautiful place to live.

The web link you reference did not work for me, instead I found a video on the 2017 version of your bike. Based on the video, I'd surmise the following:
    • The bike looks fairly standard, component-wise (which usually makes fitting the BBSHD motor more straight-forward)
    • I would measure the bottom bracket portion of the frame (where the pedal axle goes thorough) - I suspect it's 68-73mm wide
    • I am guessing (can't be sure) that a 68mm BBSHD motor would fit your frame, along with a Luna Eclipse 42 tooth chain ring. With this combination, you could retain your present 9-speed rear derailleur/gear cluster OR convert to the Sturmey Archer 3-speed IGH
    • If you convert to the IGH, I would install a 24 tooth gear on it along with an 1/8 wide chain
    • With the distances across the Island, I'd purchase a premium battery, with a capacity of at least 14AH, preferably 17AH
    Please note, the above are guesses you'd need to confirm. Best of success!

2nd build, 2018 Crust Scapegoat, BBS02 or BBSHD, Rohloff IGH
    3rd build, 2018 Crust Evasion step-thru, BBS02, Nexus INTER-3 IGH
    4th build, 2016 Salsa Marrakesh flatbar frameset, BBSHD, Alfine 8 IGH
    5th build, 2019 Crust Evasion, BBS02 or BBSHD, Alfine 8 IGH
    Other, Electronic throttle lock

Comment

Working...
    X