Brake cutoff switch 5v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake cutoff switch 5v

In another post, I saw someone asking about lack of power to the brake cut off switch, so I wondered if the 5v source could be used for a usb port for my headlight as I don't use them. Can this be done or is there not enough amps?

I found this note on usb power standards: The standard USB port, be it USB 1.1 or USB 2.0, delivers 5 volts of electricity and allows your connected device to draw 500 milliampere.
    Not sure what amperage the controller can put out...if you try it I’d guess there would be several folks interested in knowing if it blows your controller...

Comment

I don't think I need the power source bad enough to try it out. But it would be cool if it could be used for a usb charger.

Comment

I know quite a few controllers use a 78L05 voltage regulator to power their 5vdc electronics. And as such produce a maximum of 100mA which I would think would be insufficient for lighting or charging

. 78L05 Data Sheet Link

Regards,
        T.C.
        See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub motor E-Bike build HERE.

Comment

Tommycat .. Thanks! That is good info, I will do some measuring and if possible, I may try using the power source.

Comment

• Tommycat
            Tommycat commented
            Editing a comment
            Just to be clear... I DO NOT recommend using the 5vdc controller power. But it depends on the power required for your headlight. Careful. :-/ Reminder to factor in the power being used right now. Throttle, PAS, motor hall sensors, ETC. 1/10th of an amp doesn't go far.

• jaymz77
            jaymz77 commented
            Editing a comment
            After discussing this with an electrical engineer friend, he doesn't think it would provides the needed amperage to be used by a light or USB charger. I figured this would be the case but since the two lines are capped off at my handlebars, it would be cool if it was usable. thanks for your input!
        Working...
        X