Bbshd pas system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bbshd pas system

IS the BBSHD Pedal Assist designed to kick in immediately upon applying pedal pressure? How is it deigned to function? Mine does not consistently provide assistance. It might work one day and fail the next day.

Not sure what is possible with programming but the stock program requires something in the range of half a turn of the pedals before it kicks in. Does your speedometer always read out? If it doesn't see the speed sensor it doesn't seem to want to do the assist. Magnet has to be within a mm or 2 of the sensor to work reliably.

Comment

Speedometer is good so it is happy with the pulses. Are the pulses sent separately to the pas circuit or does the firmware need just a speed indication ?

Comment

I don't know how it works internally just know if the speedometer isn't working it doesn't want to work. Do you have brake sensors or gear sensor hooked up? Maybe one of those is intermittent and killing things? How about throttle? PAS and throttle don't work at the same time. Gear sensor or brakes would kill the throttle too.

Comment

There is a pedal cadence sensor in the motor that detects pedal movement - how far it needs to move, the time it takes and the amount of initial power, etc. are configurable in the controller

Comment

Do you have the programming cable or are you running on default program? If you have the cable and have changed anything have you tried going back to a stock program? Most of the software packages seem to come with several programs including stock ones.

Has this problem come on slow and got worse? How many miles we talking about 10, 100, 1000? What and how many assist levels are you using? On higher levels maybe its going so much faster than you that it cuts the power? I have had mine do that when I was on a high level and low gear for a hill climb and I forget to lower the level and shift after I get back to level ground.

Did you inspect or re grease your unit? AZ's comment about the sensor made me think of some of the videos I have seen of people packing the housing full of grease and then some. The couple I have been into there is a little bit of coating on the sensor board but depending on the grease that was used and how much maybe its causing issues? The board isn't that close to the gear teeth so they really didn't do a lot to isolate or seal it.

What holds the magnet ring onto the spindle? I wasn't really looking at that when I was into mine. Is it possible for that to have come loose and is sometimes spinning?

Comment

Thanks for your responses! I have less than 100 miles on this Fat Trike from electric trike. The right foot crank arm collided with the chain guard after tightening the bolt. The left crank bolt fell out so they sent a new bolt and I installed the bolt with blue thread lock. I pulled the right crank bolt and reinserted it, the crank arm went far enough in to collide with the chain guard. This was corrected by removing spacers. I am figuring PAS depends on the torque sensor along with speedometer. Is the torque sensor damaged from the chain guard collision?

Comment

So this came to you with the BBSHD 'professionally' installed on this new trike? This chain guard must not be a ring just outside the chain ring, its more old school and covers the whole chain back to the rear hub? Seems strange that you were having so many issues. Sure crank arms can and are often loose when they were not properly assembled so maybe that bent the guard and you are just now having to figure out how to get everything bent back and tight?

The PAS sensor is inside the main gearbox which is behind the chainring. Its buried pretty deep in there so I don't see how these crank arm issues would have been able to damage it. Nothing you do with the crank arms should be able to effect the tension or alignment of the spindle and the sensor ring.

Since this is a trike I suppose we should ask is the motor mounted like it would be on a normal bicycle? Chain ring is on the right? Chain then goes to a conventional bicycle rear hub missing the wheel that is either internal geared or has a cassette and derailer? That hub then has a chain that drives the rear? Or is there something wacky going on where its flipped or you are not actually pedaling the motor and its like a tandem where another chain and crank is involved. Just trying to figure out if maybe they did something unique to make it work on the trike that may effect how the system works.

Comment

• Roadscum
                  Roadscum commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It was the chain ring that the crank kept hitting. The crank was sort of locked to the ring until I applied pressure to get some freedom but it kept hitting the ring until some clearance occurred with the banging. I’ll get help from electric trike, I hope.

• 73Eldo
                  73Eldo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Could you see something that was sticking it? If there was nothing you could see jamming things up then you maybe have some internal defect or damage going on that is causing an issue with the sensor. I have never heard of such a problem with one of these and having had them apart can't quite think of what could happen but if there is nothing external jamming things up its got to be internal and if something in there is that messed up all bets are off.

• Roadscum
                  Roadscum commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The pas failure came on slowly and it’s dead with cooler weather. Is there a pin for the sensor signal that can be checked with a meter? But if it fails in cold weather, I guess it would read nothing. I tried putting a space heater close to the unit but I guess the aluminum frame heat sinked it away. A functional electrical diagram would be very helpful.

Originally posted by Roadscum View Post
                ...I am figuring PAS depends on the torque sensor along with speedometer. Is the torque sensor damaged from the chain guard collision?
                BBSHD's don't have torque sensors, only the cadence sensor and PAS operation doesn't need to be affected by speed at all if you set it up that way

Comment

Working...
                X