Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBSHD dead on arrival. Not sure how to proceed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBSHD dead on arrival. Not sure how to proceed.

Hi guys,

Having trouble getting my BBSHD working. I purchased the BBSHD on May 10th but just not got around to playing with it. It's been the box until I worked on it. I can provide the order id # if necessary from lunacycle.com

1. Are you getting an error code on your display..
    >> No error code

2. Is your battery charged and working properly...check the voltage of the battery with a voltmeter.
    >> Battery confirmed working. Display lights up. Fully functional display. Display reads 100% battery charged, however, does not provide any current (amps) specs. I ensured I selected the correct voltage for the battery in the display settings.

3. Check all your connections and make sure they are plugged securely.
    >> Checked all connections for proper installation and secured fit

4. If you are using the dpc-14 make sure your plugs are not reversed.
    >> Checked all plugs for accidental reverse.

5.. Is your battery connections solid? often times a loose connection will cause your bike to fail or the bms in your battery to trip.
    >> Battery connections appear solid. Display lights up.

6. Check your xt90s or other connector and make sure it is not fried. Sometimes a connection coming partially loose will cause the connector to heat up and fail.
    >> Brand new batteries and BBSHD. connections do not appear fried

7. Unplug your e-brakes to see if that is the problem.
    >> Unplugged e-brakes. Does not resolve problem

8. IS it your display?
    >> Display appears fully functional.

Other notes:
    >> I checked the wheel sensor and it lights up every revolution. The speedometer and odometer on the display appears operational.

I guess the last thing I need to do is open it up and check the anderson connectors? It took me over 10 hours to put the thing on and I was an idiot and didn't ensure it wasn't DOA before putting it on. I'm not that mechanically sound so it takes me awhile. Lesson learned.

THAT'S a weird one. Display works but throttle and PAS don't? Not like loose Anderson's, IME with those symptoms. Sounds a LOT like a brake lever shut down. Something is being overlooked.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, Louis. If I disconnect the brake levels would that resolve the brake level shut down problem? The only thing I have connected right now is the battery, display, and the wheel sensor. The PAS doesn't appear to be kicking in.

What's IME?

Comment

So what happens when you hit the throttle while it is turned on with E brakes disconnected? Nothing?
        I'm thinking either the controller is dead or you need to open it up and carefully unplug each plug and then plug it back in firmly. Often this is the issue, might be the hall sensor plug in this case.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgFQK-ID8AM

If that does not work email us at support@Lunacycle.com and we will send you a new controller.

Comment

Thanks, Paxtana. When hit the throttle with ebrakes disconnect nothing happens. I'll open up it up and try to reconnect everything back together.

Comment

I tried disconnected and reconnecting the phase wires. I didn't unplug the black one or the white one with the silicon around it. Thing to note that the phase wires disconnected rather easily. There didn't seem to be a good snug fit.

Is it worth trying a different battery with higher voltage? Am I safe to assume if the display turned on and showed a 100% battery life that the motor should try to work at some capacity as oppose to not working at all?

I want to try to eliminate as many potential problems as possible before asking Luna to expend an expense for a new controller.

Comment

Can you check the battery voltage aside from the display? I like to check with a multimeter to be certain. Have you charged the battery? Paxtana is the man he can get you going. He's top flight support. Be certain when opening up and checking the controller that the gasket is not damaged by you. That won't have squat to do with running but is important to maintain the watertight condition. Sometime the Andersons aren't fully seated, aside form the final connect.

make sure the contacts are fully seated. See here. https://powerwerx.com/help/powerpole...y-instructions. The good news is you have Gary on the case.

IME In My Experience

Comment

• paxtana
                paxtana commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you :)

Thanks for your responsiveness. Truly a grade A customer support experience. I will try testing the voltage and use a couple different batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by paxtana View Post
                you need to open it up and carefully unplug each plug and then plug it back in firmly. Often this is the issue, might be the hall sensor plug in this case.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgFQK-ID8AM

If that does not work email us at support@Lunacycle.com and we will send you a new controller.
                Check the white plug (hall sensor plug)in the controller, I have had problems here. If it looks like it needs more than just reseating, you should probably open a service ticket with Luna and get it replaced.

Comment

I had the same problem and it ended up being the controller.

Comment

I'm in the same state how was this resolved? Replacement controller?

Comment

Originally posted by nzcrusty View Post
                      I'm in the same state how was this resolved? Replacement controller?
                      Yes, luna cycle sent a replacement.

Comment

Luna was great, sent replacement parts. In my case there was a misaligned connector on the display cable. I used the same cable on my other bike and it damaged that display as well. Then both displays and cables failed. Had me completely confused for awhile because the replacement cable and motor failed as well. Finally visually inspected all the cable ends and then manually "adjusted" the connectors and pins and got it to work.

Comment

Working...
                        X