BBSHD Motor Keeps Shutting Off After a Minute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBSHD Motor Keeps Shutting Off After a Minute

A few weeks ago, I took a fall on my bike with BBSHD. The fall broke the LCD display. I bought and installed a new display and I thought that would be the end of that. So I take the bike out for a ride, then it would turn off after a minute of riding. If I remove the hailong shark battery and reinstall it on the mounting plate, the bike will turn on again, but will turn off after a short ride. I thought maybe the fall did something to the battery, so I replaced the BMS. After the BMS replacement, the same problem returned.

So I swap the battery with a known working battery I have on another bike. No luck there. Still getting the same problem.

I researched the forums and lots of people suggested checking the all the connections. I made sure all the connections are firm and making good contact.

I don't have brake cut off sensors and also removed the gear shift sensor just in case.

Could it be the contoller?

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions?

Since this issue started after the fall, it almost has to be associated with that. You've taken some pretty exhaustive steps to eliminate the problem. When the motor quits, is the display still lit? Did the crash cause a connection issue at the battery interface that could be intermittent under vibration when riding? One other idea is closely inspecting the cables at the handlebar. Since the crash destroyed the display, did any other cabling get pinched/smashed enough to cause an intermittent problem?

Comment

• SGVbiker
      SGVbiker commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent point. I am going to swap the accessories such as the throttle, display, and wiring harness one by one to isloate the problem.

Ya is the display staying on when the rest quits is a clue as to if its completely loosing power or if it just thinks the battery is low.

What kind of battery? If its a shark style with the docking cradle thing did you also swap that when you tested a different battery? How does your battery work on the other bike or isn't there another bike?

Have you looked carefully at any possible area a wire could have got pinched especially down by the motor? If you got another bile try swapping the upper main harness? Maybe a wire got yanked in that when you crashed?

Comment

Originally posted by 73Eldo View Post
      Ya is the display staying on when the rest quits is a clue as to if its completely loosing power or if it just thinks the battery is low.

What kind of battery? If its a shark style with the docking cradle thing did you also swap that when you tested a different battery? How does your battery work on the other bike or isn't there another bike?

Have you looked carefully at any possible area a wire could have got pinched especially down by the motor? If you got another bile try swapping the upper main harness? Maybe a wire got yanked in that when you crashed?
      Sorry for not being more clear. The displpay shuts off allong with the motor.
      I have also swapped the battery cradle over just to be sure.
      The wires by the motor seems fine. I don't notice any pinched wires.

I'll be swapping the accessories such as the throttle, display, and wiring harness one by one to isloate the problem.

Comment

Display turning off too means its either completely lost power for some reason which would be anywhere between the battery and controller or that the controller is loosing the 'turn on' signal from the display which would be an issue with the harness or connectors between the display and controller which is in the chain side of the drive unit.

When it quits does it seem to be related to a high load on the motor or any sort of vibration or movement? If you get the back wheel off the ground how long will it run that way?

Comment

Quick update...
          It tuned out to be a short in the wiring harness that was cutting out the data to the display. I swapped the harness from my working bike over and it solved the problem. I can't believe it was something so simple! Duh.

Comment

Originally posted by SGVbiker View Post
            Quick update...
            It tuned out to be a short in the wiring harness that was cutting out the data to the display. I swapped the harness from my working bike over and it solved the problem. I can't believe it was something so simple! Duh.
            I'm finding that the gremlins in the BBSXXX systems usually are small, almost insignificant issues in most cases. I had a hydraulic brake sensor gremlin in my case that was a head scratcher. These motors aren't indestructible, but when they quit, it is often some other minor issue needing attention. I think the wiring, harnesses, etc. are actually quite decent from Bafang, but there's a lot of wire and sensors that can act up for different reasons.

Comment

Working...
            X