BBSHD hydraulic brake sensors not working

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBSHD hydraulic brake sensors not working

Hi everyone! I just signed up and this is my first post. I have installed a BBSHD kit w/750c display and 52v 13.5AH shark battery onto my 2017 GT Traffic. I have been loving it, commuted on it 3 days already but really really really want to get the brake sensors working. I'm tired of having to back pedal and wait a few seconds for each shift.

I have the magnetic sensors that attach to the hydraulic brakes, although I have not mounted them to the levers yet. I will mount them nicely after I can verify that they actually work first.

Luna has been working on this issue and already sent me two new magnetic brake sensors but did not fix the problem. Last night, I found a diagram that shows what pins are connected to what and what the signal on the pins are. So, naturally, I spent the morning with my fluke multimeter checking connections and then voltages. I will attempt to attach a picture of my findings.

So, it would appear to me (Someone not super familiar with this system) that the brake sensors, all 4 of them now, short the wrong two pins.

All 4 of my magnetic brake sensors short out pins 6 and 4. I took a small jumper wire and shorted out pins 6 and 4 on the harness side and no surprise, the motor still operates. But that jumper I just installed is doing the same thing as the magnetic sensors. So, whether the magnetic sensors short these pins or a jumper wire shorts these pins, nothing happens and the motor still fully operates.

Then I was thinking, why would shorting two pins that both have 5 volts running to them do anything? Connecting 5v to 5v creates no change really. There needs to be a complete circuit. at this point, the ground doesn't appear to be involved at all.

So I tried shorting pin 4 to pin 8. Pin 8 is the ground, pin 4 has 5v. I completed the circuit. Low and behold, I get a signal on the display that I can only assume is the brake signal and the motor will not come on with throttle or PAS.

Any Ideas? What's wrong?

And in case I didn't stress it enough, everything else on this kit works beautifully. It's quiet, and surprisingly fun. I just want brake sensors working and this little detail is kinda frustrating.

EDIT:
    I found the wiring diagram here: https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...-wiring-pinout
    Last edited by slomo85; 04-29-2017, 09:00 AM.

Was just able to verify that the symbol that is displayed on the screen when I short brake harness pins 4 and 8 together is indeed the correct brake interrupt symbol. All thanks to another forum member here: https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...-documentation

Comment

Okay, awesome news. Luna is now sending a replacement harness and controller to try. Obviously, I'll try the harness first. They have been really helping me out, I don't know many companies that would do what they are currently doing for me. I'll post results.

Comment

Hi, Slomo85,
        I too just installed the BBSHD and cannot get the brake sensors to cut out the motor. I read your threads and I too rang out the sensor connectors per the wire diagram. It rings out to be exactly the same orientation as the motor harness plug side. So when the the socket meets the plug , pin 8 & pin 6 are crossed. I'll contact Luna as well. Did your new brake harness worked this time ? If not , may be more are bad from stock.

Comment

When I was riding today I got to thinking about this post. I installed and tested the magnetic sensors last year and I thought everything was fine. Today on a flat stretch I used the throttle and tried each brake. Both sensors worked fine by instantly shutting down the motor. I then tried the same test only pedaling. The motor would not shut down. On my bike the brake switches only work when you are not pedaling. How are you testing your system?

Comment

Hey guys

Ok the brake sensors should short pin #4 and #8 when the brakes are activated (magnet pulled away from sensor)

Like this drawing: Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 5.07.37 PM.png Views:	1 Size:	37.7 KB ID:	34565

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 9.01.01 PM.png
Views:	1
Size:	849.6 KB
ID:	34578

IMPORTANT: if you splice up the brake sensor harness you will find 3 wires, but DO NOT trust the wire colour!!!! Looks like bafang used the wrong wire colour.

And easy fix would be to rewire the sensor.

On mine the colour are:

#4 pin = black wire
            #6 pin = White
            #8 pin = ground

So test yours first before making the rewire, you don't want to short the positive with the ground!!!

As you can see in this picture, colours are mixed up:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0908.JPG Views:	2 Size:	457.4 KB ID:	34569
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Sebz; 05-04-2017, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slomo85 View Post
              Hi everyone! I just signed up and this is my first post. I have installed a BBSHD kit w/750c display and 52v 13.5AH shark battery onto my 2017 GT Traffic. I have been loving it, commuted on it 3 days already but really really really want to get the brake sensors working. I'm tired of having to back pedal and wait a few seconds for each shift.

I have the magnetic sensors that attach to the hydraulic brakes, although I have not mounted them to the levers yet. I will mount them nicely after I can verify that they actually work first.

Luna has been working on this issue and already sent me two new magnetic brake sensors but did not fix the problem. Last night, I found a diagram that shows what pins are connected to what and what the signal on the pins are. So, naturally, I spent the morning with my fluke multimeter checking connections and then voltages. I will attempt to attach a picture of my findings.

So, it would appear to me (Someone not super familiar with this system) that the brake sensors, all 4 of them now, short the wrong two pins.

All 4 of my magnetic brake sensors short out pins 6 and 4. I took a small jumper wire and shorted out pins 6 and 4 on the harness side and no surprise, the motor still operates. But that jumper I just installed is doing the same thing as the magnetic sensors. So, whether the magnetic sensors short these pins or a jumper wire shorts these pins, nothing happens and the motor still fully operates.

Then I was thinking, why would shorting two pins that both have 5 volts running to them do anything? Connecting 5v to 5v creates no change really. There needs to be a complete circuit. at this point, the ground doesn't appear to be involved at all.

So I tried shorting pin 4 to pin 8. Pin 8 is the ground, pin 4 has 5v. I completed the circuit. Low and behold, I get a signal on the display that I can only assume is the brake signal and the motor will not come on with throttle or PAS.

Any Ideas? What's wrong?

And in case I didn't stress it enough, everything else on this kit works beautifully. It's quiet, and surprisingly fun. I just want brake sensors working and this little detail is kinda frustrating.

EDIT:
              I found the wiring diagram here: https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...-wiring-pinout
              Why? Review the posts on gear sensor(s), Ebrake connectors(sensors), speed sensor(s), displays. Why are there so many problems? A twist throttle, and a BRAIN replaces all of the above. PAS is the EBike version of Cocaine(makes you think your something YOUR not).

Comment

Originally posted by yahhui View Post
                Hi, Slomo85,
                I too just installed the BBSHD and cannot get the brake sensors to cut out the motor. I read your threads and I too rang out the sensor connectors per the wire diagram. It rings out to be exactly the same orientation as the motor harness plug side. So when the the socket meets the plug , pin 8 & pin 6 are crossed. I'll contact Luna as well. Did your new brake harness worked this time ? If not , may be more are bad from stock.
                No, my replacements did not fix my problem. It seems that my sensors are shorting the wrong pins.

Comment

Originally posted by calfee20 View Post
                  When I was riding today I got to thinking about this post. I installed and tested the magnetic sensors last year and I thought everything was fine. Today on a flat stretch I used the throttle and tried each brake. Both sensors worked fine by instantly shutting down the motor. I then tried the same test only pedaling. The motor would not shut down. On my bike the brake switches only work when you are not pedaling. How are you testing your system?
                  My problem seems to be completely different from your problem. My brake sensors are not shutting down the motor from both throttle or PAS. I am testing both.

Comment

• calfee20
                    calfee20 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Actually I don't think it is a problem. I think it is supposed to work that way. If you are pedaling you want to go so it won't cut you out. The wiring to the shift sensor is different. That one will cut you out momentarily. Some one reported on the forum that a back pedal will stop the motor. These are all things that make sense from a programming point of view.

Originally posted by Sebz View Post
                  Hey guys

Ok the brake sensors should short pin #4 and #8 when the brakes are activated (magnet pulled away from sensor)

Like this drawing: Click image for larger version Name:	Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 5.07.37 PM.png Views:	1 Size:	37.7 KB ID:	34565

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 9.01.01 PM.png
Views:	1
Size:	849.6 KB
ID:	34578

IMPORTANT: if you splice up the brake sensor harness you will find 3 wires, but DO NOT trust the wire colour!!!! Looks like bafang used the wrong wire colour.

And easy fix would be to rewire the sensor.

On mine the colour are:

#4 pin = black wire
                  #6 pin = White
                  #8 pin = ground

So test yours first before making the rewire, you don't want to short the positive with the ground!!!

As you can see in this picture, colours are mixed up:

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0908.JPG Views:	2 Size:	457.4 KB ID:	34569
                  Thank you so much for taking the time to write this post. I confirmed just now that my sensors, including the two additional replacements I have received are all shorting pin #4 and #6. I have replied to the trouble ticket with this information. I would attach the picture I took, but I don't want to confuse anyone by posting a picture of what is incorrect, and just leave your posts picture of how it should be correct.

Comment

I had confirmed that the sensor connectors are missed pin. I found pin 8 is on the bottom right should be on the bottom left. Pin 4 to pin 8 without magnets have continuity. With magnet opened circuits.
                    i will try to switch wires on pins 6&8 to see if that fix it tomorrow. Will post results.

Comment

Corrections, the continuity is with magnet near the sensor. Open circuit is when magnet is away.

Comment

Hey all, Since pin 6 and 8 is reversed on the sensor connectors. I found a quick fix and no need to swap wires. I smooth out the connector key and rotate it one pin clockwise when plugging it together and bingo all working now.

Comment

Put an index mark with white touch up paint on the outside of the connector to help yourself with future work.

Comment

Originally posted by yahhui View Post
                            Hey all, Since pin 6 and 8 is reversed on the sensor connectors. I found a quick fix and no need to swap wires. I smooth out the connector key and rotate it one pin clockwise when plugging it together and bingo all working now.
                            Quite clever! just make sure you don't rotate 2 pins and short out the ground and 5V!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X