Intermittent bbs02

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermittent bbs02

Yesterday i removed my bbs02 (which was working fine) to grind back my BB to get a better chain line as i have a mighty mini on the way, put it back as normal, re-soldered the connections for the battery and did a quick test. All was good. A few hours later i went out for a ride, got to the first big hill and the motor started to die, loosing power and not sounding good. I stopped using the throttle and just pas 2 but it didnt look good. Then it just totally stopped. Display still working, speedo still working just no throttle or pas. Rode (unasisted) a few minutes then all of a sudden it sprang back into life, full power available. For the next hour it intermittently started and stopped. I tried all the connections even unplugging the e-brake but still couldnt fix it. My battery connection also seems fine. I have recently upgraded to the luna controler,im not 100% but i dont think this sounds like a controler problem. The fact that it springs into life and then just stops. Has anybody else had this problem? i just removed the controler and all the connections seem good!!!

Well, when a failure occurs after I've been tampering with something, I always look first at the location of the tampering. In your case, the power wire solder joints. You may have a cold solder joint. Not saying that is necessarily a potential explanation for what happened, but it's where I'd start.

An intermittent problem which occurs at all speed/power levels could be a loose connection or short in throttle or brake cables. A problem that only happens at high load is more likely to be something getting hot. Which could be a high resistance connection or short in the power wiring, or an overheating controller.

There is logic to make sure the throttle voltage is in the right range. Maybe the throttle is failing. Next time it happens, try unplugging the throttle and see if PAS suddenly works.
    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Thanks ill try that. Im just about to take the unit back off and check everything i did in reverse. And resolder the power wires. The funny thing is when the motor suddenly sprang into life it was when i was off the bike, then i jumped on and it stopped. Maybe the rear suspension with my weight on was moving a broken wire. The only connections that could be at fault though are the power and the wire harness but both seem fine!!

Comment

Good clue about the suspension movement. Running the motor with the chain off, wiggle wires. Carefully.
        Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Ok well i just went through everything, it's definitely not the power connections. I went for a ride and had power but strangely PAS is now working in 0 but its a really strange kond of power. Doesnt sound right. If i throttle it in 0 and then peddle, when i release the throttle im still getting power. The bike decided to die again 500m from home then sprang back into life as i pulled up. Could this be a controler problem??

Comment

If PAS is active in PAS 0 mode, that shouldn't happen. It does sound more like a controller problem or maybe a display problem, rather than a simple wiring problem. The way to test these is to swap in another part. If your old controller board still works, try that one?

Do you have a 2nd controller to try? Luna has some used 961 displays in their garage sale area right now. I picked one up as a spare. Also a spare throttle. Good to have backups for testing or quick replacement.

Good luck figuring it out.

Comment

I have my old 18a controler which im going to try👍 Also messaged luna to see what they say. I cant see how under any circumstances though that the settings could change and allow power at 0 PAS. Faulty throttle, display, wiring or ebrake is really the only other option but none of these could change settings.

Comment

UPDATE: ruled out throttle and brake, still the same problem with them disconnected. Tried new display, same problem. Put back my 18a controler and 25km later, no faults at all, no pas in 0 and went like dream. So faulty controler it is.

Comment

Good job troubleshooting, congrats. And thanks for the update. You just documented a controller failure mode I haven't seen explained anywhere - that's really valuable info to have out there, for future troubleshooting by others.

Comment

this sounds like what mine is doing ,sporadic power loss ,not working at all ,,working fine for a few days then not . I know nothing I will have to pay to have it fixed .Its 6 weeks old .

Comment

Working...
                    X