BBSHD Build: Need Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBSHD Build: Need Help

Greetings from Middle East - Qatar :D! I just got my BBSHD 52v 11ah kit, i'm kinda excited & frustrated at the same time. I just got this massive bottle battery (16inch height x 4 inch diameter) which doesn't fit on my preferred bike - I'm a 5'7 small frame mountain bike guy and i prefer to put battery on the downtube of a bike, so my question is what kind, size, geometry or perhaps brand of mountain bike would you guys suggest to fit this huge bottle battery and that will still be comfortable to ride for me. - I'm asking this because bike shops here sucks so i'm planning to order online instead so it would be harder to test fit the battery :(
    Attached Files
    Last edited by pcliteuser; 05-15-2016, 10:24 PM.

It's impossible to help much without knowing exactly what battery you have. :rolleyes:

Take a look at the build galleries here and on sites like electricbikereviews, to see if you can find similar examples to what you want.

If you don't find an easy recipe, you need to: Measure the dimensions of your battery, then compare with published frame dimensions for the bikes you are interested in. You might need to make a scale drawing, or bring your battery to a bike shop and see what style bikes, and what frame sizes, it fits.
    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

bikes that i found here that the battery fits are large frames - the medium ones is a bit ok but battery is hard to remove, not much of clearance. i did some 90% accurate mockup this morning and i'm kinda scared for the battery, but i will try tonight and see how it goes.
      Attached Files

Comment

I see. Thanks for adding the batter info.

For you mockup photo, sorry to say it looks like the tire will hit the battery on bumps, because of the suspension fork. But you could probably get it to work with a solid fork. For mounting a bag battery on a small frame, that looks like the best option, to me.

Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

I don't know how you will feel about this, but will a female version of your bike have a lower toptube that will let you mount the battery there. And are women allowed to ride bicycles in Qatar so you could even find one?

Comment

at 2am i finished the build and spray painted the battery pack will post the photos soon :) - JPLabs yes the front wheel hits the battery so i decided to lock the suspension around 40%. so far so good. the only thing is i can only use small gear 9 - 7 if i use the bigger gear 5-1 my chain will drop, and looking at the chain it is perfectly straight on the smallest cog. what will you guys suggest? im using the free chainring from luna cycle.
            Last edited by pcliteuser; 05-18-2016, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Can you post a picture of your chainline and the bottom bracket? did you use the 68-73mm BBSHD model? Did you use BB spacers? Chainline can be corrected a bit with spacers, but what make a huge difference is how well did you just the rear derailleur? If the chain is straight with the 9th gear you should still be able to use at least half the cassette....

Comment

Originally posted by pcliteuser View Post
                at 2am i finished the build and spray painted the battery pack will post the photos soon :) - JPLabs yes the front wheel hits the battery so i decided to lock the suspension around 40%. so far so good. the only thing is i can only use small gear 9 - 7 if i use the bigger gear 5-1 my chain will drop, and looking at the chain it is perfectly straight on the smallest cog. I will you guys suggest? im using the free chainring from luna cycle.
                Great! So glad you got it going already. Limiting suspension is a workable solution, sure.

Sebz asks the right questions to figure out the chainline. But, about the chainring:

I think you mean you have the new 42T chainring & adapter. If so, that one has a low offset. The stock Bafang one, the Luna Eclipse, and the Leckie will all move your chain further inboard, towards the larger cogs. I'm not sure how far, maybe 15 mm? Guessing, I haven't measured. But one of those should get you another couple of gears closer to the large cogs, if it will clear your frame.

Comment

i took the bike for a spin 7km ride and i realized that its not shifting and the bbshd motor is actually crushing the derailleur cable "i'm not sure thats the right word for it" but you know what I mean - the bike is internally routed so the rear derailleur cable goes under buttom braket, so i stayed whole ride on 6th gear its a bit heavy to pedal though on a 42t luna stock chainring.
                  Last edited by pcliteuser; 05-18-2016, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Gee,

That battery pack will likely fit into the frame triangle. Your mock-up looks like it may be out of proportion, making the battery seem bigger. The battery would undoubtedly be more secure/stable resting on to top of that tube rather that hanging under it. Of course, if that's the only way it fits...

Comment

@Gee, yeah if my battery falls i'm not gonna be surprised :) - i'm planning to put an industrial velcro strap to wrap around but aside from puting it on cargo rack downtube is the only way.

Here is my Work in progress build :)
                      Settings:
                      PAS 0 - Enabled
                      No Gear Sensor
                      Last edited by pcliteuser; 05-18-2016, 08:40 AM.

Comment

any suggestion on how i can use gear 1-5 without droping my chain?

Comment

Gee,

I guess you're right about that battery not fitting inside the frame, or that that triangular frame tubing makes it trickier. Maybe you'd consider the battery on the underside of the tube coming from the head set, which would be a higher weight center, but it might be kind of a cool placement nonetheless.

Otherwise, as JP seems to mention, an aftermarket chainring designed for Bafang units will undoubtedly give more offset, with their inset flange, which should put the chain around the center of your gear cassette, to allow getting onto the taller sprockets, that is, if the offset doesn't cause the chainring teeth to hit the chain stay tube. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7822__16937.1450168446.1280.1280.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	6692

But it looks like you have a little room there, so one of these might work, especially if the teeth-count is lower, since chain the stay tubes get closer together as they near the bottom bracket. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1416.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	6693

Attached Files
                          Last edited by Christian Livingstone; 05-18-2016, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Nice looking bike buddy!

I think Christian has all the right suggestions!

Comment

thanks sebz.

Christian Livingstone from what i can see there is only few cm clearance at 1.5cm the chainring will touch the chainstay. judging from the looks and some reviews between lekkie & luna cycle i think lekkie might fit on my bike just right.

by the way does bbshd have some kinda of security features? i bought mine from luna cycle together with their colored lcd and the startup password thingy doesn't work, basically while the lcd asks you to enter your pass code the motor itself is on PAS 1 and throttle ON already.
                              Last edited by pcliteuser; 05-19-2016, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X