BBSHD Speed Sensor Wire Torn Out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBSHD Speed Sensor Wire Torn Out

I just finished installing a new BBSHD only to find the error code 21 after riding for a minute. Upon inspection I discovered that the speed sensor wire has torn from the controller side. Not sure how this happened, but what are my options for repair?

Unfortunately if the speedo has been ripped out like that it will require a new controller.

Some displays allow disabling auto-shutoff in the settings if you want to see if you can get the unit to function in spite of the error 21.

Comment

Originally posted by paxtana View Post
      Unfortunately if the speedo has been ripped out like that it will require a new controller.

Some displays allow disabling auto-shutoff in the settings if you want to see if you can get the unit to function in spite of the error 21.
      That's what I was afraid of :/ I guess I'll contact Luna to see if they can help out with a warranty replacement.

Comment

Probably going to want to provide more details when emailing. Typically if this sort of thing happens it is due to user error like an improperly mounted sensor getting tangled up in the spokes. Given that there's like an inch of wiring on the end in the pic which would not be visible even if the wires were not soldered, looks like something pulled it out. But we're willing to hear you out, just need details

Comment

Sure thing - everything on the install went smoothly and I was cleaning up the zip tie ends. I took it out for a quick spin up and down the block to make sure the magnet on the wheel was close enough to the speed sensor when I first noticed the error 21. I brought the bike back inside and when on the stand I saw that the red light was not blinking when the magnet passed in front of it. I took the magnet off the wheel and placed it right on the sensor which is when I figured something was wrong with it. I flipped the bike upside down to inspect the wire and noticed the three wires from the controller had come out. It's honestly a mystery to me because I definitely didn't hit it on anything and I didn't pass over anything going up and down my street that would yank it out either. You can see in the pictures I'm attaching that the wiring is all intact, secured to the frame except for where it came out at the controller and in good shape. The speed sensor which is hot glued to the frame, is also not damaged. I wish it was as simple to explain as the sensor getting tangled up.

Comment

Ok..thing I don't get is if the speedo was completely unconnected from the start it would have fallen out when motor was taken out of the box?

How about this, we give you the benefit of the doubt and send the controller free but you pay shipping? If that's fine let me know and I will PM you a discount code for the part.

Comment

That sounds totally fair since honestly I don't understand how it happened either. I appreciate all of the help!

Comment

Working...
              X