New BBSHD with 52v getting error code 7 over-voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New BBSHD with 52v getting error code 7 over-voltage

I have been reading this forum for a while doing my homework on what I wanted to build. So I finally decided on a BBSHD on a 52V battery installed on a 2017 Specialized Roll. I have seen several builds like mine so I know other people have run the BBSHD on 52V.

On a full charge I am getting error 07H Controller Report error. I looked it up and it is a over voltage error. So I decided to leave it on and run the included LED light for about 4 hours till the volts drop to about 57 volts and the error goes away. I rode it the first time yesterday and it performs great. Put 10 miles on it on low assist and I love it. Has anyone had this problem before? I don't want to wait 4 hours every time I want to ride. Should I have just went 48v? I am a big guy and I wanted the extra volts for endurance not full throttle riding. Thanks in advance for any help.

Here are links to BBSHD Kit and Battery

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by tomtom; 04-19-2019, 06:02 PM.

Check out post #2544 in the "Ask an ebike technical question" section. It deals with what I think is your exact situation.

Comment

Yeah that's due to a problem originating at Bafang. Competent dealers have already fixed this. There is a good reason so many people buy from Lunacycle, support is very important when dealing with emerging technology. I would not recommend to buy ebike stuff from amazon, that's as bad as buying from alixxx, they can only sell at that price because they don't support the products they are selling

Comment

• tomtom
      tomtom commented
      Editing a comment
      So there is a fix but you can't tell me what it is? Is this an "ancient Chinese secret"? I get it, i should have bought from you/Luna. Is this a e-bike forum or a Luna forum?

But as usual I’m guessing you found it without any notice or warning from Bafang? It’s like blaming the dealers when the BBS0xB came out with all new controllers.

Comment

Is the fix a secret? Or am I misreading this?

Comment

Paxtana, can I send you some cash to tell me what the problem is???

Comment

You can send Luna some cash to get a working controller, it is on the parts section. Or return the original defective kit and buy from a better company.

Of course the fix is a secret. Why would any company willingly give up their competitive advantage? We already have published more technical documentation for BBSxx than every other company combined, is that not enough, should we do support for other dealers' mistakes as well?

This is not just a Luna forum but I am simply telling it like it is. There are plenty of sources besides Lunacycle you can buy a working unit from. I doubt Amazon is one of them. Personally I would hope you would buy Luna because those sales support operation costs of this forum, but it is likely other companies like California-ebike have also figured it out.

Comment

Originally posted by paxtana View Post
            You can send Luna some cash to get a working controller, it is on the parts section. Or return the original defective kit and buy from a better company.

Of course the fix is a secret. Why would any company willingly give up their competitive advantage? We already have published more technical documentation for BBSxx than every other company combined, is that not enough, should we do support for other dealers' mistakes as well?

This is not just a Luna forum but I am simply telling it like it is. There are plenty of sources besides Lunacycle you can buy a working unit from. I doubt Amazon is one of them. Personally I would hope you would buy Luna because those sales support operation costs of this forum, but it is likely other companies like California-ebike have also figured it out.
            Fair enough. Unfortunately I am stuck with the kit due to seller listed it as requiring a 48v battery. That's on me. The battery is fine and can't be returned either because it's not defective and I drilled a hole in the metal backplate for an extra mounting bolt. So you suggest I replace the controller listed here https://lunacycle.com/bafang-bbshd-1...nt-controller/ ?

Comment

• tomtom
              tomtom commented
              Editing a comment
              I just looked at the Luna site and I don't see the "B" version controller as a option. I was going to go ahead and just replace it. Are they out of stock?

***EVERYTHING*** I know about this, all the information I have about this, is here in this thread; please don't PM me for more info (I don't have any), just ask in this thread, and maybe someone else will know.

First: You accept all responsibility for performing any or all of the steps below, and if your stuff explodes in a supernova, or simply fails to ever work again, sorry about that, I can't help you there.

Assume that performing any or all of these steps will invalidate any warranty you might have (might not, but, it could).

So if either of the above gives you even the slightest hesitation, stop reading and go ride.

If you don't KNOW that you need this fix, DON'T do it.

These instructions on updating the Bafang BBSHD firmware, to fix the problem with using 52v packs, were sent to me anonymously. I rewrote them to compensate for filename changes of what's actually on the first site, and the filename of the actual firmware file sent, and combined the two separate sets of instructions given as they cover the same things in different levels of detail. Some steps have been broken down into individual steps for clarity; not having one of these units I don't know if I've done them right.

If anyone with the equipment that has done (or can do) the steps finds anything incorrect or insufficient, let me know and I'll update the instructions, to make this as easy, painless, and foolproof as possible for anyone that needs to do this.

I don't know what the "programming cable" itself looks like at the BBSHD end, presumably the same as the Display cable.
            EDIT: here's a pic of a bafang usb-serial cable: bafang programming cable.jpeg (14.02 KiB) Viewed 813 times
            I've also included the original instructions at the end of the text file attached to this post (which also contains these instructions).

The file attached CRR10E4830E105001.1_190413-1.txt will need to be renamed CRR10E4830E105001.1_190413-1.bin because the forum won't allow a .bin file upload. Alternately it is also attached as a .ZIP file you can extract the .bin file from. CRR10E4830E105001.1_190413-1.txt (60 KiB) Downloaded 38 times CRR10E4830E105001.1_190413-1.zip (19.86 KiB) Downloaded 48 times

1-- Download the file stc-isp6.86.rar from http://www.stcmicro.com/rjxz.html
            (file also attached to this post, or skip step 1 and 2 and download the stc-isp-15xx-v6.86E.zip from the attached file) stc-isp6.86.rar (3.5 MiB) Downloaded 35 times stc-isp-15xx-v6.86E.zip (3.54 MiB) Downloaded 43 times
            2-- Extract stc-isp-15xx-v6.86E.exe from that file (using WinRar, 7zip, etc; a google search will locate the appropriate websites for those, and instructions how to use them) and run the program
            3-- Insert the programing cable (USB-Serial Adaptor) into the computer's USB port, and install whatever software it requires. (Note says that FTDI based USB-serial adapters work well, but I assume you MUST use a USB-serial that's got the right connector for your BBSHD, presumably the round 5 pin green Higo). A COM port (often Com5) will be assigned to the port--if it tells you which one that is, write it down.
            4-- Open the STC programing software.
            5-- Select "Single Chip Microcomputer Type":"IAP15W4K61S4" (which is under "STC15W4K32S4 Series");
            6-- Select the Com port that was assigned to your preferred USB-Serial Adaptor. (If you're not sure which one it is, it shouldn't hurt to try any of the ones it lists until one of them works)
            7-- Change the settings for Max Baud to 57600 and Input IRC frequency to 18.432 Mhz
            8-- Press "Open a Program File" (may be labelled "Open Code File"), and browse to the location you saved the attached file CRR10E4830E105001.1_190413-1.bin, and open it.
            9-- Plug in the programing cable (using the EB-BUS; one end of the EB-BUS is linked to the EB-BUS cable at the controller, and the display cable at the other end of the EB-BUS is linked to the programing cable);
            NOTE: Presumably this means you follow these steps:
            9a- Turn off ebike battery's power switch
            9b- Disconnect ebike battery from BBSHD
            9c- Disconnect LCD
            9d- connect round end of USB-serial cable to the connector you just disconnected LCD from
            10- Plug ebike's battery into BBSHD, but do not turn on the battery power;
            11- Press "Download/Program"
            12- Turn on the battery's power switch.
            13- You should see the progress bar scroll across if it is successful.

Presumably when it gives the message that everything is complete, you can then:
            14- power off the battery
            15- disconnect USB-serial from bike
            16- reconnect LCD to bike
            17- power on battery
            18- ride and have fun!

I have not viewed the following link; presumably it is a video version of these instructions:

https://youtu.be/6fvJVz30LU8 ATTACHMENTS bbshd instructions rewrite.txt (3.71 KiB) Downloaded 49 times originial (confusing) instructions.txt (1.23 KiB) Downloaded 41 times

Comment

TE=tomtom;n87475]***EVERYTHING*** I know about this, all the information I have about this, is here in this thread; please don't PM me for more info (I don't have any), just ask in this thread, and maybe someone else will know.

First: You accept all responsibility for performing any or all of the steps below, and if your stuff explodes in a supernova, or simply fails to ever work again, sorry about that, I can't help you there.

Assume that performing any or all of these steps will invalidate any warranty you might have (might not, but, it could).

So if either of the above gives you even the slightest hesitation, stop reading and go ride.

If you don't KNOW that you need this fix, DON'T do it.

These instructions on updating the Bafang BBSHD firmware, to fix the problem with using 52v packs, were sent to me anonymously. I rewrote them to compensate for filename changes of what's actually on the first site, and the filename of the actual firmware file sent, and combined the two separate sets of instructions given as they cover the same things in different levels of detail. Some steps have been broken down into individual steps for clarity; not having one of these units I don't know if I've done them right.

If anyone with the equipment that has done (or can do) the steps finds anything incorrect or insufficient, let me know and I'll update the instructions, to make this as easy, painless, and foolproof as possible for anyone that needs to do this.

I don't know what the "programming cable" itself looks like at the BBSHD end, presumably the same as the Display cable.
              EDIT: here's a pic of a bafang usb-serial cable: bafang programming cable.jpeg (14.02 KiB) Viewed 813 times
              I've also included the original instructions at the end of the text file attached to this post (which also contains these instructions).

The file attached CRR10E4830E105001.1_190413-1.txt will need to be renamed CRR10E4830E105001.1_190413-1.bin because the forum won't allow a .bin file upload. Alternately it is also attached as a .ZIP file you can extract the .bin file from. CRR10E4830E105001.1_190413-1.txt (60 KiB) Downloaded 38 times CRR10E4830E105001.1_190413-1.zip (19.86 KiB) Downloaded 48 times

1-- Download the file stc-isp6.86.rar from http://www.stcmicro.com/rjxz.html
              (file also attached to this post, or skip step 1 and 2 and download the stc-isp-15xx-v6.86E.zip from the attached file) stc-isp6.86.rar (3.5 MiB) Downloaded 35 times stc-isp-15xx-v6.86E.zip (3.54 MiB) Downloaded 43 times
              2-- Extract stc-isp-15xx-v6.86E.exe from that file (using WinRar, 7zip, etc; a google search will locate the appropriate websites for those, and instructions how to use them) and run the program
              3-- Insert the programing cable (USB-Serial Adaptor) into the computer's USB port, and install whatever software it requires. (Note says that FTDI based USB-serial adapters work well, but I assume you MUST use a USB-serial that's got the right connector for your BBSHD, presumably the round 5 pin green Higo). A COM port (often Com5) will be assigned to the port--if it tells you which one that is, write it down.
              4-- Open the STC programing software.
              5-- Select "Single Chip Microcomputer Type":"IAP15W4K61S4" (which is under "STC15W4K32S4 Series");
              6-- Select the Com port that was assigned to your preferred USB-Serial Adaptor. (If you're not sure which one it is, it shouldn't hurt to try any of the ones it lists until one of them works)
              7-- Change the settings for Max Baud to 57600 and Input IRC frequency to 18.432 Mhz
              8-- Press "Open a Program File" (may be labelled "Open Code File"), and browse to the location you saved the attached file CRR10E4830E105001.1_190413-1.bin, and open it.
              9-- Plug in the programing cable (using the EB-BUS; one end of the EB-BUS is linked to the EB-BUS cable at the controller, and the display cable at the other end of the EB-BUS is linked to the programing cable);
              NOTE: Presumably this means you follow these steps:
              9a- Turn off ebike battery's power switch
              9b- Disconnect ebike battery from BBSHD
              9c- Disconnect LCD
              9d- connect round end of USB-serial cable to the connector you just disconnected LCD from
              10- Plug ebike's battery into BBSHD, but do not turn on the battery power;
              11- Press "Download/Program"
              12- Turn on the battery's power switch.
              13- You should see the progress bar scroll across if it is successful.

Presumably when it gives the message that everything is complete, you can then:
              14- power off the battery
              15- disconnect USB-serial from bike
              16- reconnect LCD to bike
              17- power on battery
              18- ride and have fun!

I have not viewed the following link; presumably it is a video version of these instructions:

https://youtu.be/6fvJVz30LU8 ATTACHMENTS bbshd instructions rewrite.txt (3.71 KiB) Downloaded 49 times originial (confusing) instructions.txt (1.23 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
              [/QUOTE]

Very interesting you wrote all this so fast! But, if you know all this already, why bug Luna about it?

Or if you didn't really write it, but found it and plagerized/posted here to undermine what Paxtana said about proprietary info, then shame on you. Posting proprietary info sent to to you is rude and perhaps illegal. Doing it here, to hurt Luna, or to piss off Paxtana, whatever your thinking, is reprehensible.

You have a lot of nerve,

Last edited by JPLabs; 05-30-2019, 09:58 AM.
              Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

He's fine, not something I can share but if he wants to that's ok.

It is probably worth keeping in mind for anyone reading this in the future that there are multiple bbshd version b controller hardware revisions with basically no way to tell them apart, and what works on one controller will not work on all controllers, depends on the production date. We have seen controllers bricked if the wrong firmware is flashed. Personally if it were me I would not risk it. You can just sell the 48v controller on ebay since it should work fine for anyone using a 48v pack, then take that cash and buy a controller from someone that can confirm it's working with 52v.

On the latest firmware we have developed, we found that fixing one problem often created a new one. So we went through a lot of this and a lot of controllers. But in the end, and this is a bit preliminary since we are still testing it, and only for latest controller hardware versions that accept our latest version without bricking, we have not only fixed error 7 but also fixed throttle/pas priority. Still need to confirm through more testing but it is one really positive thing that has come out of this. We are also going to try to put back the original function allowing folks to run the bike without speedo sensor and not getting shutdown, though not quite there yet on that one.

Comment

Thanks paxtana for being cool on this. Assuming malice in an environment of great confusion is not cool. To a newbie, even after attempts of self education by reading and watching everything, this is all very confusing! I tried to buy everything I could from Luna but you are often out of stock with no real Delivery date info. So I now have an unknown BBSHD that I bought on eBay. I would like to buy the B model controller from Luna but it is out of stock. Wanted to buy a Mighty Mini for a long time but it is out of stock. Not sure if I should buy another 52v battery pack from Luna that is in stock because I may have to go with 48v if I can’t get a B controller from you all? So Luna can score some points by explaining and offering solutions to potential lifelong customers who just didn’t understand... Even if you didn’t cause the problem you are a key player in the ecosystem and it doesn’t help to say, if you only bought it from us, when it wasn’t available from Luna. Thanks for listening.
                  Best,
                  Tommy

Comment

Ok, I see i was out of line, and overreacted. Thanks for both being so agreeable.

Tommy, if I may: it would be better if you cited sources when reusing content, instead if posting as your own. I quickly confirmed that most likely wasn't your material, even though you posted as if it were, so I got defensive, sure. But it was possible you are the original contributor, so it COULD have been yours, and that led me to the motivation thoughts...just to explain a little, why the post seemed inappropriate, one way or another, to me.

Sorry.
                    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

I also am having the same problem, error 07, over voltage when using a 52 volt pack.

I also would have bought my Bafang BBSHD kit from Luna if they had it in stock, I even asked them for an ETA, but they didn't know, just told me to check again in a few weeks time. So I ended up buying mine from Aliexpress for $650. (But I am a good customer of LUNA, if Luna is reading this, it's easy to verify. Also I am going to buy another kit to fit onto my Cycle cross bike, this time from Luna, also a few other things, like a clutch unit, and most likely a controller).

Any way, I tried to do all the instructions listed above, I found them elsewhere on the internet, before the above instructions where posted, and followed exactly the procedure, but after I press "Download/Program", it says "Download failed ! Please using the newest software !" But it's not bricked, thank fully.

So, I don't know what to do next, any one else had the same issue? Luna, can you help? What else can I try? Obviously, if I brick it, it's on me, but I don't care, I'm invested deeply in 52 volt batteries and chargers.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: I worked it out, the instructions says to make the maximum baud rate 57600, and I did, but the minimum baud rate apparently has to be set for the same also. I did that and it all works fine now.
                      Last edited by Timo; 05-30-2019, 09:00 PM. Reason: worked it out!

Comment

paxtana I'm really glad it sounds like you all are getting a handle on the firmware

In these efforts do you foresee getting some of the less well defined parameters the users have access to via the programming cable better defined?

Comment

Working...
                        X