Two Questions before buying cyclone mini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Questions before buying cyclone mini

Hello. About to pull the trigger on a cyclone mini but I have two Questions.

1) Luna's description says to only use their 48v or 52v batteries. Is that really required?

2) Assuming a Luna battery being required isn't true, can I safely use my existing batteries? I have a 48v 11aH and a 52v 17 aH - both are rated about 30a continuous.

I guess the real question here is if dialing down this controller is programmable and possible as to not blow past the specs of my batteries?

You can use other batteries

Comment

The Cyclone controller is configurable, and you can adjust how much amperage the controller will send to the motor. Although, the controller or battery will always limit to the lowest rated device. If your controller can only do 20A, then your battery only sends 20A. If you battery tops out at 30A, then the controller only pulls 30A. However, if you are running the battery at max. amperage for extended time, it will heat up. That's where a smart BMS is really nice. It monitors temp., and cuts off battery output if the stack heats up too much.

Jose

Comment

Originally posted by DaHose View Post
        The Cyclone controller is configurable, and you can adjust how much amperage the controller will send to the motor. Although, the controller or battery will always limit to the lowest rated device. If your controller can only do 20A, then your battery only sends 20A. If you battery tops out at 30A, then the controller only pulls 30A. However, if you are running the battery at max. amperage for extended time, it will heat up. That's where a smart BMS is really nice. It monitors temp., and cuts off battery output if the stack heats up too much.

Jose
        Hey thanks for the response.

That sounds good as it seems my existing battery does have a pretty advanced BMS to protect it.

I got another question - just noticing the mini not really coming with any display, just a voltage meter? Any recommended displays that play well with the mini? Probably want something minimal that can just make configurations easier to handle.

Comment

The Cyclone doesn't have a direct plugin port for a display, but there's a bluetooth app you can load to a smartphone and connect to the controller. The app. is how you set all your parameters, and there is a dashboard you can leave running. I plan on buying a cheap phone, and installing that as my display. Added bonus is that my battery also has a bluetooth app, so I get pretty much the same info. as a Cycle Analyst screen.

Jose

Comment

• Minnemike
            Minnemike commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow - ok - that works for me. Cool setup you have with your battery as well! Thanks.
        Working...
        X