Cadence Sensor and E-Brake Sensor Installation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cadence Sensor and E-Brake Sensor Installation

Hello. I am beginning my research into installing the above mentioned sensors. I have not found much on either yet so any assistance that could be provided is greatly appreciated.

Here's how I did my brake sensor install. Mount it, plug it in. Magnet needs to be very close to sensor when brake not pulled. Get your lever reach close before you set it up, as readjusting reach will change magnet location.

http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...ic-brake-lever
    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcreek View Post
      Hello. I am beginning my research into installing the above mentioned sensors. I have not found much on either yet so any assistance that could be provided is greatly appreciated.
      Which cadence sensor are you looking for information on?

Comment

Thanks. JP

Louis, Luna calls it "Cyclone Peddle Assist Add on Cadence Sensor". Is this sufficient or should I post a picture?
        Last edited by Eastcreek; 08-13-2016, 01:15 PM.

Comment

The Cyclone type is the most common. Not as accurate or nice as torque sensors but I have this type on my DD hub motor bike and it's decent. There are split version that can be added without taking off the crank, but added during the build is quite easy.

Comment

Here's a great article from Eric's archives on electric bike.
            Comparing cadence with torque type.
            https://www.electricbike.com/torque-sensors/

Comment

Good article on torque sensors with pictures. I guess what I need at this point is a similar write-up on cadence sensors along with some detailed pics on installation. Is this out there somewhere?

Comment

It's just a google away... Simply do a search. It's ALL there. All I did was entered torque sensor in google and hit enter. I'm not trying to me sarcastic. But it's self service is really easy, so much has been published. Building is a ;earning process. Make Google your best friend. Then hit the forums to clear up any questions you've formulated after learning the basics. http://bfy.tw/7F1IAfter the search and with the links found, be sure to look at the image tab and the video tab. It pays to look down the list.

All the best!

Louis

Comment

Seems my "google" search engine doesn't work very well despite Startpage's claim to utilize Google. (I prefer to use Startpage since they don't trac my searches, ...not that I have anything to hide mind you!) Every site is only showing a speed display device of some sort and not the actual sensing device installed. Even the link you provided doesn't seem to be valid on my end. Still wondering around in the dark wondering if anyone has done a good write up on Luna's cadence sensors.

Comment

Try this phrase and look at images.

ebike pas devices

I could give a rat's .... what google does. It's a superior search. I tried Startpage and it got NONE of the images that google got and it says "enhanced by Google" to funny...
                    Do yourself a favor. Use the search that will get what you want and need.

Comment

Okay, (...I actually fared better using Startpage!) I think I have decided against using the sensor I bought when I purchased the Cyclone since I purchased a throttle at the same time. Here's why....

http://www.ebikeschool.com/pedal-ass...and-throttles/ Pedal assist: trouble in paradise

Many people, including yours truly, find pedal assist systems frustrating and annoying. I don’t use my ebike for exercise. I have running shoes for that. When I’m on my ebike it’s because I have somewhere I’ve got to be. I’m heading to work, making a delivery, running an errand or doing something that means I’ve got to be moving. That’s not the time that I want to worry about pretending to pedal in order to trick my bike into working for me. I want a simple, responsive and fool-proof system that is going to power my bike exactly when and how much I want, and that’s what a hand throttle is for.
                      Often times pedal assist systems fail to operate smoothly, resulting in quick, jerking movements. If you just want to start rolling slowly, you can easily control your acceleration with a hand throttle. But if you try to use pedal assist, you wind up with a few seconds of delay from the time you start pedaling, then a jolt as the motor kicks in abruptly. Not ideal under any circumstances.
                      So if you feel like you want to get some exercise, and you’re afraid an electric bicycle can be counterproductive to that goal, a pedal assist system is likely a good choice for you. If you want to use your ebike like a motorcycle for some thrill-riding fun or utilitarian transportation, a hand throttle will make your life much easier.
                      Note: while a compromise of having a hand throttle and a PAS together on a single electric bicycle may initially seem nice, please allow me to nip that idea in the bud. There certainly do exist ebikes like this, but I’m not a fan. The problem is that when you want to pedal a short distance, such as needing to scoot up or over at a red light, or maneuvering your electric bicycle while walking it through a door or gate, operating the pedals for a turn or two can cause the ebike to suddenly accelerate when you aren’t expecting it. Premature acceleration isn’t fun for you or anyone around you.

Comment

Yup, look hard and long enough an we can find the opinion supporting our own. I like Micah and his blog. He's a bright engineer. I'm happy ou found the fit for your build.

Comment

I am also wondering about the pedal assist for the cyclone set-up I am thinking about building. I currently have the bbshd mounted on a hybrid trek, using the 9 stage pas dashboard. I love it. Absolutely love it. Setting at 3 typically, 4 on a hot day, so I don't arrive at my destination soaked in sweat (this is Florida), it gives me just enough boost to be actually riding a bicycle but feeling like superman. And again, I don't arrive at school unacceptably soaked in sweat. I will use the throttle to pull away from stops, get ahead of traffic, etc.

I would love to get the same control from the cyclone, which I plan to put on a curb-jumper, but can find no help about the add-on pas. I would be the guy learning the hard way (burned out stuff?) about wiring, programming, etc.

Comment

Working...
                          X