Cyclone "3 Speed" Wiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cyclone "3 Speed" Wiring?

Somewhere around here I thought I saw mentioning of the "3 Speed" labeled wiring coming from the controller. Basically I'm wondering how it might be used to vary the output from 3000 watts down to 750 if / when needed. Anyone have any thoughts/ideas/links? :)

Scratch the above. Luna chat said the "Cycle Analyst" is required to utilize the speed limiting features of the Cyclone controller. Info on it is here:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...e_V223_Web.pdf

Comment

• bmaurey
      bmaurey commented
      Editing a comment
      I installed a three speed switch with my Cyclone and it provided two speeds. Not sure why not three. The switch (or circuit) failed after 1500 miles and I am considering installing another. I found the switch to be very useful when shifting and using the cruise control. As I approached an incline, I would drop the speed momentarily allowing a smooth shift, then resume a higher speed. This worked well on a long bicycle tour that I was making through the Blue Ridge Mountains.

• Robocam
      Robocam commented
      Editing a comment
      What kind of switch did you use? Did you use a SPDT switch with an "off" position?

On the Cyclone's controller, there are three wires labeled "3 Speed." You do not need a Cycle Analyst to change the speeds. All you need is a SPDT switch with an "off" position. Basically black to pink is one speed, and black to blue is the other speed. An open circuit is the middle speed. I'm using the turn signal switch of this setup as my 3 speed switch. I use the horn switch for cruise control.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All it does is limit the speed. The torque is not limited. So the acceleration of your bike will not change. Your bike will not feel like it has a 750 watt motor until it hits the speed limiter.

Originally posted by Eastcreek View Post
    Somewhere around here I thought I saw mentioning of the "3 Speed" labeled wiring coming from the controller. Basically I'm wondering how it might be used to vary the output from 3000 watts down to 750 if / when needed. Anyone have any thoughts/ideas/links? :)
    Last edited by Robocam; 12-09-2016, 12:07 AM.

Comment

• Eastcreek
      Eastcreek commented
      Editing a comment
      Robocam, thanks! I have a few questions after checking the part you linked to:

1) The Kewell switch's 3 position turn signal's middle position "open position" "makes" no two of it's 6 wires and your calling that the "middle speed", correct?
      2) Since my current unused "3 Speed" marked wires are all "open", does this mean I have been operating at middle speed only capability of my controller?
      3) Is "cruise control" complicated to set up? Which wires are you using?

• Robocam
      Robocam commented
      Editing a comment
      You're welcome!

1) Yes, the middle position is open (no wires connected)
      2) Yes, you have been operating in speed 2, the middle speed
      3) No it's very easy. You just connect the cruise wires to a momentary switch (the horn button on this switch). I don't remember which wires I'm using, but it should be easy to figure out once you have the switch. If you need help with that, feel free to ask.

I have trying to figure out the speed switch on my cyclone drive for about a week now, but I think the wire colors changed its no longer blue pink and black, or some how I am missing them from my controller. I have 3spd on a blue,black, and black with white stripe. Only pink wire on my controller is in the cyclone motor harness. I tried jumping the wires on the three speed harness and I was able to get the speed to decrease with no issues, but when trying what I thought and observed to be high speed when getting close to full throttle the motor was making a grinding and stuttering noise it was aweful sounding. Has anyone experienced the wire color change or this stuttering of the motor in high speed?

Comment

Here is a picture of the harness and if needed I can jumper it and record a video of how it reacts when in high speed. Thank you for any help. Ps works great with no jumper very solid but really would like to unleash the beast.

Comment

Try it on your bike while you're riding it. The stuttering is normal and should not happen when the motor is under load. The same thing happens to mine when unloaded.

Originally posted by Chuntzu View Post
        I have trying to figure out the speed switch on my cyclone drive for about a week now, but I think the wire colors changed its no longer blue pink and black, or some how I am missing them from my controller. I have 3spd on a blue,black, and black with white stripe. Only pink wire on my controller is in the cyclone motor harness. I tried jumping the wires on the three speed harness and I was able to get the speed to decrease with no issues, but when trying what I thought and observed to be high speed when getting close to full throttle the motor was making a grinding and stuttering noise it was aweful sounding. Has anyone experienced the wire color change or this stuttering of the motor in high speed?

Comment

Wow, sorry for the crazy long delay, I thought I would receive notification via email on thread updates. You were 100 percent correct I ride and while under load the motor does not stutter. And damn is it fast! 43.9 mph on sondors fat tire with 72v, it is crazy good fun. Motor gets a bit warm with stock single speed 16ish on the rear and 44-44 cyclone dual on pedals. Possibly want to add three speed to sondors or attempt a higher gear in back to boost rpm and decrease the torque and strain, this was per the discussion on endless-sphere. Thank you for the response.

Comment

No problem. I had that same issue too when I first started here. See if you have auto subscribe on. Go to the top and click on your name. Choose user settings and then click on the notifications tab. Glad you got it all worked out!

Originally posted by Chuntzu View Post
            Wow, sorry for the crazy long delay, I thought I would receive notification via email on thread updates. You were 100 percent correct I ride and while under load the motor does not stutter. And damn is it fast! 43.9 mph on sondors fat tire with 72v, it is crazy good fun. Motor gets a bit warm with stock single speed 16ish on the rear and 44-44 cyclone dual on pedals. Possibly want to add three speed to sondors or attempt a higher gear in back to boost rpm and decrease the torque and strain, this was per the discussion on endless-sphere. Thank you for the response.

Comment

Working...
            X