Is the cyclone 3k watt kit waterproof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the cyclone 3k watt kit waterproof

I have bought but not yet finished installing my cyclone 3k. Im installing it on an old hardtail that was a lot of fun for trail riding. Is water a concern with the kits components? Motor, controller, throttle, will these stand up to puddle splashes and rain if caught on a storm? I just dont want to mess anything up if this is a big issue ill be extra careful to avoid sources of water.

How did you get on with it ? What was your verdict seeing as no one replied.

Comment

Everything electric hates water.

But honestly--for any e-bike, the best weatherproofing/waterproofing available--is post-consumer; that is to say--it's on you, the end-purchaser.

If you read e-bike user-guides, even for the most expensive of models available--you'll notice their instructions can all be paraphrased pretty much as follows:

----------------------------------

Your Brand New e-Bike's Cleaning and Care Advice:

Note: Do not attempt any cleaning methods for your e-bike, that you would not also attempt on a brand-new eighty-inch flat-screen TV. Don't use attempt to clean any e-bike component with anything wetter than a moist cloth.

Warning: If you even think about that garden-hose, your manufacturer's warranty will be invalidated.

Danger: A pressure-washer is an e-bike murder-weapon.

Instructions: Carefully clean, inspect, and fully lubricate your entire e-bike after every ride.

---------------------------------

This is actually not bad advice if you haven't done any additional weatherproofing of your own.

But that advice--at least the first three sections--is indicative of the greater issue at hand:

Every single decision-making product-evaluating person in the industry is apparently too stupid to realize that a bicycle is an outdoor machine.

Shoot--I'm a poor guy--on a fixed income--but I'd still pay fifty-bucks for a waterproof throttle tomorrow--just nobody on earth has bothered to manufacture one yet.

That's okay though. I make sure I've always a couple spares. Meanwhile, I've learned how to replace their hall-sensors--so I'm alright for now.

But seriously--everything intended for an e-bike, should be weatherproof and waterproof enough to survive long-term installation on a rental jet-ski--or it's obviously inadequate.

Luna Cycle offers decent weatherproofing on tons of their custom products, and Cyclone Taiwan offers waterproof versions for some of their motors and controllers; including waterproof cables--but otherwise, it's rare industry-wide.

Having said that--though I have done so accidentally, I'd certainly not intentionally submerge any components--not Luna's not Cyclone's--not anybody's.

But Cyclone's cables and connections are certainly splash-proof--I can attest.

I mounted my Cyclone 4KW motor with its cable exiting downward. The motor is pretty tightly sealed, and can handle gentle (non-blast. non pressure-washer) soft-drizzling water--garden-hose-rinsing, without any real risk of water intrusion. Rinse gently, use a brush to loosen, rinse, loosen, etc--just be careful.

Best of luck!

tklop
      Last edited by tklop; 07-06-2020, 03:29 AM.

Comment

Thanks for that. It's a great reply.

I have been looking at a product known as liquid electrical tape. To get into the gaps around the tight cluster of wires into the control box. Also any gaps around the grommet for the wires into the motor.
        Great point about about having them facing downwards. Also silicone spray and silicone grease, depending on where it may be needed. Or as a first line of defense over the liquid tape.

For the Cyclone motor itself, I have found a product called Lanoguard that can be used to seal and protect the motor from all the mud and crud flying off the front wheel.
        It's made from Lanolin and withstands jet washing, but will wash off with some soapy water. I used it to seal up the inside of a steel water feature and it worked a treat.

For the wire connectors, I've found some waterproof ones, but I've not checked if they are suitable for replacing all the plugs.

But you're right. You'd think that the fact a bike is an outdoor machine would be taken into account on the design spec.

Comment

• tklop
          tklop commented
          Editing a comment
          Taking care to protect connections is a good idea, but I do recommend you hesitate before you coat the outside of the motor with anything. I'm not familiar with that product. It sounds like good stuff--non toxic hopefully, but both mild and effective. But I suggest you try without it first.

Cyclone's motors' housings are already splash-proof and mud-proof--so it's probably not necessary.

Plus, they're also designed to dissipate heat into the ambient air--allowing Cyclone's motors to run even under continuous heavy loads without overheating.

Add an extra layer onto the outside of the motor-housing, that definitely won't be true anymore.

Others' misfortunes have shown that even one extra layer of paint will cause a lot of unwanted heat build-up.

Enough said... Be careful with coatings.

Do not allow any moisture whatsoever anywhere near the controller. Position your controller out of the weather, with its cable-bundle exiting downward.

Just forget about the blast-nozzle on your garden hose. Don't use it. Not ever--not on any part--of any bicycle.

If you do, you will introduce water into places it isn't meant to be (including into sealed bearings). This will even happen when you're washing your own car, if you're blasting water into the wrong places--and it leads to rapid corrosion and accelerated wear.

If you use a garden hose at all, first unscrew that jet-nozzle, and carry it all the way inside the house, and put it in your kitchen-drawer--so you'll not be tempted to use it at all. Now go back outside. You can use your hose now--but leave the faucet-setting low, and your thumb off the end as well. Only gentle spilling water. Moisten the muddy chunks, loosen with a bristle-brush, rinse, loosen, rinse.

Remember not to use anything but a damp rag on your controller, throttle, sensors, or lights--and on anything else with wires going to or from it...

If anything vulnerable is in the area you intend to gently be rinsing, you can temporarily tape a plastic bag around the component, for protection.

But the Cyclone motor-housing? It can handle it. Gently rinse, loosen, rinse, loosen. The garden-hose, as so directed--will be okay for the motor-housing (and its gearbox).

If your bike has any shiny-surfaces (like shock-absorbers) don't use the hose on them at all either--just an oil-dampened cloth.

My 4KW Cyclone's motor-housing gets regularly sprayed by water off the front-wheels of my bakfiets. Each wheel's wake-vee converges--at the motor. So it gets a solid soaking regularly--from two sides at once--and I've never had issues. Again--I've got mine mounted cable-facing down, with a P-bend, so any drips go away from the motor, but also away from the waterproof connector.

Based upon my experience, I do think the Cyclone motors themselves are sealed fine--as-is (with waterproof connector).

But one thing will always be true--no matter what measures you take:

A pressure-washer is an e-bike murder weapon. One shot--one kill.
          Last edited by tklop; 07-16-2020, 09:31 AM.
      Working...
      X