Cyclone 500watt with internal controller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cyclone 500watt with internal controller

The internal controller on my motor has developed a problem, so I want to convert it to an external controller. Can any one offer advice on how to connect the three white wires from the motor
    to the controller, and tell me what type of controller and throttle to get.

Hi. This is an please post but did you have any success in converting your motor to an external controller? I live in the UK and have Cyclone 500w motor kit with a failed internal controller just sat under my bench. I have since moved on to 52v Cyclone 3000w kit via a 36v 750w kit. If I could get the 500w motor working I would give it to a friend for the cost of the new parts.

Comment

• Kenm
      Kenm commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,
      as I didn't get the information I needed ,I gave up and fitted a Luna Mate Bafang BBSHD kit. It is so great I doubt I will use the cyclone again, unless one of our folding bikes packs up.

I'd get this controller:

https://em3ev.com/shop/6-fet-irfb307...on-controller/

And this throttle:

https://em3ev.com/shop/right-thumb-throttle-type-1/

You'll also want this:

https://em3ev.com/shop/bar-mounted-p...n-controllers/

and this:

https://em3ev.com/shop/3-speed-switc...roller-or-ca3/

Of course then you have to hook it all up. It's not hard, you'll just have to learn how. Most of it is plug-n-play, the hardest part is getting the hall signals and phase wires correct.

Here is a flow chart to help you out:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trouble-shooting_chart.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	57733
    Good luck! Welcome to the world of DIY! ;)

Comment

• Kenm
      Kenm commented
      Editing a comment
      Many thanks for that advice, which I have filed away for future use, having now bought a Luna Mate Bafang BBSHD set up.. I still have a couple of folding bikes with Cyclones on, so may still need to covert a motor at some stage.

Many thanks Rix Ryds . The flowchart is particularly helpful. It was the hall signal connections that was putting me off as i thought that if you get them wrong it will knacker either the motor or controller whereas I am told that the phase wires can be connected in any order without doing any harm. Am encouraged to give it a try now as I think have most of the necessary bits to rig it up. If necessary i can probably borrow some components from one of our other bikes to test it all out. I have a spare stock Cyclone 36-72v 40a controller and throttle/3 speed switch. I should be able to run it at either 36v or 48v ? We also have a Cyclone 36v 750w kit which I have been running with a Stock Cyclone 36-72v 40a controller at 36v . The 20ah chinese battery is getting tired (only charges to 41v and big voltage drops when going uphill after only 5-6 miles. If I stop using the motor and just pedal for a few minute, the battery recovers a bit. Am I safe in replacing the battery with a 48v (or even 52v) one o n this setup? Have read that apart from the 24v Cyclone motor the others are all the same from 36v -48v irrespective of what wattage kit you buy? Imagine the Controller will be fine but just need to watch the temperature in the motor? Am in the UK and it is very expensive to buy stuff from USA mostly due to the ridiculously high freight charges to UK. I can live with the $ exchange rate. Great pity as you have much more ebike stuff over there. In the UK we are often forced to buy Chinese bits from Aliexpress or Alibaba.
    Thanks for your help so far, much appreciated.

Comment

Glad to help! Motors aren't too sensitive to voltage, it's current and heat that kill 'em. I have a scooter that started out 36v 500watts, I've been running it at 52v and 1000watts for over a year with no problems. YET!
      But I'm not kidding myself, it won't last forever at that! You should be fine with what you have (36v). just keep in mind that controller makes 40 amps, at 52v that's 2080 watts, that's a lot for a 500 watt motor. 48v would be a bit better, but 36v will make it last longer.Go easy on the throttle and avoid lugging the motor. Keep the gearing low so it spins fast. Monitoring temps is a good idea. If you run into problems, don't hesitate to ask.

Comment

Working...
      X