Cyclone on the Fat Tire Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cyclone on the Fat Tire Bike

I am thinking about converting my FTB from a front hub drive which handles poorly to a Cyclone 3000w. I will need to fabricate the mounts and possibly modify the frame. I will show this as I go to get some helpful commentary. First I have to find a Cyclone in stock somewhere!

Below is the bike in question. You can envision the motor in several orientations. I will need to have it in my hand to figure out where it best fits. Obviously the 11 inch wide bottom bracket is and issue.

Last edited by Robert62; 05-07-2018, 10:21 AM.

Images not showing.

Comment

Sorry. Google issue. I believe it is fixed now.
      R

Comment

• max_volt
        max_volt commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes that is one phat tire.

It's so creative!

Comment

Not sure if you are seeing both images above? I road this around Charlotte during Open Streets 704 and it was great. Put 20 miles on it and still had reserve. I am torn about the conversion to the Cyclone. I am afraid I will not like the chain running all the time as much as the hub motor. I would love to hear opinions from people who have had both types of setups.

Robert

Comment

Well, obviously you have no pedal assist right now, so the fact that the Cyclone has no good pedal assist solution is a non issue for you.

A Cyclone is going to give you power on demand. You'll probably want to invest in better brakes. As in 4-piston Maguras maybe, coupled to their thicker rotors.

The big thing about a Cyclone is its for more the DIY type of builder. Basic Cyclone mounting is just that. Basic. It is known to flex as often as not on installs. Almost all effective solutions are fabricated by people and not everyone has fabrication skills.

In your case, I am guessing that doing DIY projects involving metal fabrication is not something that scares you off. For you, a Cyclone is probably an awesome alternative and a springboard for an awesome build. My only real concern is all that weight and slowing it down once you get a serious head of steam up with a more powerful motor.

Comment

Thanks Money- I would get a programmable controller and limit the amps and top speed. I would not run this 100 lb machine on the full ability of the motor for the reasons you stated.
            Fabrication is no issue for me as you can tell from the pics!
            (I cannot seem to get both pics to show up. I will try from another computer)
            Robert

Comment

I can see both pics no problem and could earlier today. Must be a browser cache thing on your end.

Keep us posted on the build!

Comment

Working...
              X