Double Gear / Double Torque Motor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double Gear / Double Torque Motor

Hey guys, I just recieved an email from a customer who has given us some feedback on the double torque/double geared motor. I though this was a good comparison from someone who has both the BBSHD and also now the double gear/ double torque motor. Hes ridden competitively and still rides 6000 miles a year.

This is his email below.

Since receiving the kit and putting it together on a self-built short wheel base full suspension recumbent bike frame, I have made note of several performance features I want to share with you. They are as follows:

- The system works well. I have used it principally in PAS mode, rarely using the thumb throttle capability though I do have it wired to function.
    - As mentioned, though rarely used, the thumb throttle works fine. I use it only on certain start-ups, e.g., from a dead stop especially if I'm still in a higher bike gear than I'd like or where there is need to get across a busy intersection quickly.
    - The PAS module that attaches to the bottom bracket axle seems cheesy (plastic on plastic bearing surfaces) so I hope it doesn't wear out quickly. I assume you sell it as a replacement item if it doesn't last. Maybe I should order a backup replacement just in case.
    - Since using the system mostly in PAS mode, my riding procedure is to shift the bike into an easily pedaled gear and with a controller setting of 1 or 2. I shift the bike to progressively higher gears while progressively shifting to a higher electrical controller setting. On the flat with no wind I usually shift to a bike gear I can pedal at a cadence of around 80-85 rpm and a controller setting of 4. This results in a speed of about 18 mph and uses battery power registering from 0 to 16 watts once I am at "equilibriated" speed.
    - Yesterday with no wind, flat road, similar bike gear and a controller setting of 5, the bike cruised with variable power being registered depending upon speed but finally reached zero at 21.6 mph and beyond. That appears to be the maximum speed of the hub motor and the point where its power application ceases. Of course, pedaling beyond this speed with no electrical power being registered was easily possible by simply pedaling faster or in a higher gear.
    -Riding under these conditions resulted in being able to travel 48 miles using a 48 v 11.8 ah Dolphin pack. At the end of this 48 mile ride the controller registered 60% power remaining. This same scenario repeated itself over multiple rides in four days. I suspect the range of the Dolphin pack would be 60, perhaps even up to 70+ miles on a full battery charge. My Bafang 8 Fun motor bike with this same battery will not typically get to this distance using similar riding conditions. It is close, maybe 50-60 miles range dependably with a new fully-charged battery. In all, the dual speed hub motor seems more efficient than the Bafang under the riding conditions described.
    - With controller off and pedaling the hub in "freewheel" mode it is much easier to pedal the dual speed hub than with a Bafang 8 Fun motor with no electrical power being applied or available. This is a real asset vs the Bafang motor if battery power runs out before the end of a ride. I'm quite confident I could pedal the dual speed motor hub with no battery power and easily make progress. This is not so with the Bafang motor. I know this from having to pedal the Bafang motor last year for about 10 miles over undulating terrain with a dead battery after already riding 50 miles. Very difficult!
    - Other subtleties:
    * There appears to be very little discernible lag between initiating pedaling and feeling forward motor thrust once pedaling starts.
    * Similarly, there appears to be immediate cessation of motor thrust once pedaling ceases, a good outcome.
    * This characteristic results in no need for use of the brake lever cutoff of the motor since motor torque application is so immediate.
    - I have not used the dual speed (lower gear) capability since I tend to pedal (with appropriate shifting down to lower gears) to keep the bike moving, shifting down on the weenie hills we have here in Wisconsin. I suspect I might use the dual speed capability if hills were steep enough but currently in this terrain, there is no need.
    - The motor temperature monitor is a great feature. Motor temp at equilibrated speed was about 104 deg F. The highest it got to was 111 deg. F. but only for a short period after which it dropped back in the range of 104-105 deg F.

I hope this provides you insights on how this motor performs in real-life situations. I'm quite satisfied with it. Its not my intent to trash the Bafang since I enjoy riding it for its own unique characteristics. For an off the shelf motor that will do 30 mph in PAS mode with 48 volt battery, the Bafang is hard to beat. Both systems have their strengths and weaknesses, so much so that I enjoy trading off bikes to experience the benefits of each.

Hope you find this useful.

Best regards,

Bob

Hi, this is of interest to me because I am looking at either the BBSHD or the double torque for a first time build. The email says "My Bafang 8 Fun motor" but doesn't mention BBSHD, are they the same? Especially would like to know because he says his Bafang was hard to pedal with the battery dead compared to the Double Speed. I thought I had read that the BBSHD was easy to pedal with motor off. thanks

Comment

Working...
    X