Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailed video of a complete disassembly and reassembly of a hub motor.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Detailed video of a complete disassembly and reassembly of a hub motor.

As usual, my buddy and I were turning wrenches on a Saturday night (so fun!). This time we filmed it and I made a 28:33 1080p video that I uploaded to YouTube.

Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA2qQkexj2g

I welcome constructive criticism of the mechanical techniques seen in the video. E.g., hydraulic press piston not lined up perfectly, using a bearing puller with overly large jaw teeth, improper use of snap ring pliers, etc.
    Last edited by commuter ebikes; 04-30-2017, 07:24 PM.

Great video! I was really wanting to see the rejoining of the stator with the rotor but you didn't show it.

Comment

Originally posted by OptimusPrime View Post
      Great video! I was really wanting to see the rejoining of the stator with the rotor but you didn't show it.
      I have no explanation as to why we did not film that. The guy that was with me was super excited to see it, too.

What you missed seeing was me laying the cover on the bench, and then slowly bringing the stator toward it, making sure to keep my fingers away from the crush zone. And then, of course, the magnetic forces pull it into perfect position. At this moment, anybody watching would be inclined to clap or cheer.
      Last edited by commuter ebikes; 05-01-2017, 11:02 AM.

Comment

The covers should be marked before disassembly so they go back in the same rotation position.

Not sure there was a need to remove the magnets, aside from making it lighter.

Hammering anything seems like a bad idea.

You see why the gear puller isn't a great for these covers, much too thick to get in between the cover, need something much thinner.
        Alan B

Comment

Letting the magnets grab the stator and move together uncontrolled also seems like a bad idea. Very risky. At work they use a mill for things like that. Very controlled motions (no cutting motor power, just use the 3D motions to control the force safely).
          Alan B

Comment

Those are really good points, Alan. I knew to mark the side covers, but I forgot to do it when the time came.

I am seriously contemplating grinding down the bottom of my bearing puller jaws. There seems to be so much extra material there. The OTC 1038 bearing puller https://www.amazon.com/OTC-Mechanica...words=otc+1038 costs $64.20, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I broke a jaw tooth (while pulling off the side cover). I remember that you told me to make a tool for this job. Modifying the bearing puller by grinding down the bearing puller jaws will make a nice experiment because bearing splitters larger than 9 1/2" start at $900.

I removed the magnets only for the purpose of the video (and to practice that task).

I would like to see a video of using the 3D motions of a mill to control the force safely. I hope to buy a mill someday.
            Last edited by commuter ebikes; 05-01-2017, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X