Idiot needs help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idiot needs help

I replaced the Gates belt on my bike with a Sturmey Archer RF5 hub. The bike has vertical fork ends and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to align the red and yellow lines for proper gearing. When in 2nd gear the lines are way off.

Does it have a little chain going in for shifting? If so there should be a section with threads between the chain and cable part. That is the adjuster. There is usually a small jam nut then the main barrel part. Loosen the jam nut then you should be able to adjust it. They have other styles but the chain seems to be their main style.

Comment

This series of Sturmey Archer 5-speed hubs (assuming RX-RF5) uses a rotary mechanism, not the bellcrank/chain design used on the 3-speed hubs.

The shifter cable adjuster is up at the shifter, where the cable enters the handlebar housing. But if nothing has been altered intentionally, save for pulling the wheel to replace the belt, I'd first verify that the shifting cable is routed correctly around the hub rotary drum, and that the cable outer housing end at the hub is correctly seated into the fulcrum lever:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture2.PNG Views:	0 Size:	43.5 KB ID:	121480

See the manual. This video for the 4-speed hub is also useful.

I'd also verify the 100mm of open cable down at the hub (with the shifter in fifth gear) hasn't changed, as well as the fulcrum lever position:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.PNG Views:	7 Size:	6.1 KB ID:	121481
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture3.PNG Views:	7 Size:	35.8 KB ID:	121482
      Last edited by ncmired; 01-31-2021, 09:18 PM.

Comment

• 73Eldo
        73Eldo commented
        Editing a comment
        Ahh, the 5 speed I looked at still had the chain. I had seen the style you posted above but thought they were only used on rental bikes with the drum brakes. Apparently not.

• ncmired
        ncmired commented
        Editing a comment
        There's both - the newer being rotary, like the one used on Luna's Fat Babe.

I think some of the real old ones used two bellcranks/chains, one on
        each side.
        Last edited by ncmired; 01-31-2021, 09:34 PM.

Thanks all for your help. The cable is routed correctly, the fulcrum lever is at the correct spot for a vertical fork, the down cable is a bit long but my real issue is with the wheel off the bike I cannot move the fulcrum lever to a point where the red and yellow lines match up. All I did was replace the belt, which required taking the wheel out of the forks and disconnecting the shift cable. I even put it together as is and it works but I have lost my top gear. I can't figure it out.

Comment

The shifter hasn't broken by chance - i.e. it still has 5 distinct positions and related cable lengths?

I'm out of ideas, and I don't have any personal experience with this model - only the older AW 3-speeds and the current Shimano lineup.

Comment

The shifter works. The guys who made the bike tell me the red and yellow lines are offset .5cm. Mine is .9cm and I seed no way to make that adjustment. I rode it today and am missing my high gear.
          I am lost.

Comment

It seems there are 3 separate triangle marks depending on the angle of the slot the axle goes into, and it must be in 2nd gear for the marks to line up. There should also be a way to adjust the length of the cable at the end where it is clamped to the lever on the axle. You might try putting the barrel adjusting nuts at the cable housing ends in a mid position. Then clamp the cable down so the marks are as close as you can get them in 2nd gear, and adjust the cable housing from there. If you make the housing longer, the cable end becomes shorter etc. I think any bike shop should be able to resolve this.
            Maybe you're trying to adjust it in 1st gear?

Comment

Again, THANKS for all your help. I adjusted the cable to 100mm per SturmeyArcher instructions but lost gears 1 and 2.
              Increased to 115mm, have all gear but my max speed is still way off and 4th gear slips badly.
              The only thing I can think of now is to adjust the fulcrum at the hub. More mechanical work than I wanted to do.

Comment

Is it possible the cable is laying on the wrong part of the hub? Perhaps twisted. This would change the amount of rotation pulled by each shift.

Comment

Working...
                X