Conversion kit selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conversion kit selection

I am looking to convert my Raleigh Detour 4.5 to a rear wheel ebike.
    I want to go long distance at lease 60 miles on one charge, I will be using PAS and not a throttle i expect that I would be riding between 10-15mph
    I want to be able to handle a moderate hills .

This is the kit I am looking at:

Ebike Conversion Kit 36V 500W 700C Geared Waterproof Electric Bike Conversion Kit - Ebike Kit - Rear & Front Wheel Hub Motor Kit

https://www.amazon.com/EBIKELING-Wat...1-5&th=1&psc=1

Question
    What battery would give me the longest distance? 36/48v I if I am correct it is more about the Amp hours
    Can this motor be run with a 48V battery at all
    Do I need disc breaks if this is just for touring riding (No off road)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear_Wheel.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	130070

Click image for larger version

Name:	front_Wheel.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	130071
    Attached Files

Nice bike. 60 miles is going to require a pretty big battery I think.
    Last edited by MemberOfDistinction; 06-13-2021, 06:45 PM.

Comment

If you only plan to do 10-15 mph I think you will be ok with those brakes. Get some new pads and a good cleaning/scuffing of the rims to give them the best chance possible. Also pull the front cable out and see if there is a spring between the cable housing and that elbow piece down that sleeve on the front brake. Looking at your photo it looks like your front is the same as one I dealt with a few weeks ago where I just could not get decent front brakes. Must be something they put in there to weaken performance for really light people that could not remember which lever to pull.

For that range I think I would want to go 48v, you get a little more range just bumping the voltage and you should have a lot more options in a more compact package than you will find in a 36v. 17-21 ah 48v packs are somewhat common and with a decent amount of pedaling at those normal bicycle speeds and only a 500w motor may get you the 60 miles.

I just completed a front wheel kit and have to say from an installation point of view I can't imagine anything easier. I only took it for a couple mile test drive but I really didn't have any issue with it on the streets. Rear wheel you have to start messing with getting a properly matched freewheel or transferring your freewheel to the new wheel. You start screwing around with that stuff might as well do a mid drive which is what my bikes are.

I may be mixing up some of the new people but we did have someone recently, possibly Member that started out saying they wanted to go 30mph. 30 sustained is dooable these days but takes a few bucks and just the right stuff to do it. Also makes a huge difference if you are a 120 pounds and on a rails to trails vs 250 pounds in a hilly stop and go urban environment.

Comment

I have decided to not go with the hub and go for a mid drive motor. You all have helped

Comment

Working...
        X