shimano CB E110 coaster brake hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shimano CB E110 coaster brake hub

G'day, I am expecting my Bafang 48 volt 750 W mid drive kit in the next few days and I will be fitting it to my Miranda Crossways bike fitted with Deore XT groupset. I have concerns about using the full 9 gear cluster on the cassette with just a single chain-ring. That to me is making the chain go way out of alignment. I live in an area completely devoid of hills but we do get a lot of windy days. Years ago I won an EBay auction of 5 shimano CB E110 coaster brake hubs. I have sold 2 of them but I was checking one out yesterday and I thought they would make a good hub for the conversion kit. Reasons being, they are really heavy duty, (they are drilled for 12 gauge spokes), the bike only has rim brakes so an extra brake wouldn't go astray, and the whole drive chain has been simplified. I would probably fit a bigger or stronger chain and I would have to fit a chain tensioner of some kind, to allow for the chain stretching over time.
    My very first bike when I was a kid had this type of setup minus the tensioner as it had the horizontal dropouts to adjust chain tension, I never knew that bikes were available with gears until I was older.
    Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated, I can lace the wheel myself but I have never used 12 gauge spokes before, can you get them as butted spokes?. Thanks in advance regards Neil

Greetings, and welcome to the forum - I see you joined a few days ago.

While I'm a big fan of almost all things IGH, I don't think that hub is a good match for your Miranda Crossways bike - here's why:
    1. Per Miranda's webpage (for a newer model I suspect), your bike has aluminum frame with a 135mm O.L.D. quick release rear hub, while that coaster brake hub is meant for a 110 O.L.D. frame. You'd need to reset the rear triangle 15mm, which is quite a bit, and a process not recommended on aluminum frames.
    2. The chain line on this hub is hub is likely approx. 40mm - abysmal when used with a BBS02 motor
    3. The Bafang BBS series motors don't backpedal (reverse) the chain - instead they freewheel, which would render the coaster brake useless.
    In your case, I'd stick with the 9-speed rear cassette - conditions change (such as wind speed, tired legs, etc.), and having gears is handy. "1 by" drivetrains are very common these days, but in order to optimize your chain line with the BBS02 motor I'd spring for the Lekkie 40 tooth chain ring package (made in NZ). It's expensive but well made, and if down the road you choose to convert to a multi-speed IGH the Lekkie will fit right in. Your tires look pretty good at 40mm wide, but you may also consider buying the best rim brake pads you can find - you'll be going quite a bit faster now.

One other thing - I can't say for certain, but I'd bet you can't find any butted spokes in 12 gauge.
    Last edited by ncmired; 06-29-2022, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Thanks very much for your reply, makes a lot of sense, with just 1 chainring at the front a a 9 speed cluster on the cassette can you use all the gears without stuffing the chain. I was thinking that after riding the bike for awhile I could decide which 3 gears I was using the most and rearrange the cassette so that those 3 gears were in the middle. I still intend to go to a IGH eventually, but I will have to do some more research to find the most suitable hub and rim size. Thanks once again, regards Neil

Comment

• ncmired
        ncmired commented
        Editing a comment
        With the Lekkie 40 tooth chainring, all but maybe the lowest (far left) cog should be usable. For an IGH, the 3-speed Shimano and Sturmey Archer work well. Any more speeds (8 on) I'd stick with Shimano / Rohloff / Kindernay.
        Last edited by ncmired; 07-01-2022, 01:18 AM.

• Mike_V
        Mike_V commented
        Editing a comment
        You may discover so many ways to ride with different settings and techniques over time, with the cluster, to fine tune your vision of an ideal setup.
        I will try a NOS vintage IGH later this season, but honestly, it's for the technical interest. Because I tend to ride in mostly one gear.
        ( & viewing "ncmired" built eBikes )

• ncmired
        ncmired commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh no, Mike_V - IGH hubs have corrupted your soul!

A couple of thoughts:
      1. I believe the Tongsheng TSDZ2 mid-drive has a model that supports coaster brake.
      2. I purchased and relaced a wheel using 12/13 gauge Sapim spokes purchased from ebikes.ca. They also custom cut them to desired length.

Comment

• ncmired
        ncmired commented
        Editing a comment
        Right on both counts - thanks Fred
    Working...
    X