Rohloff shifter problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rohloff shifter problem

At the very end of a very rough 18 mile ride, as I coasted up to my ride home (the airplane) I realized I had no shifter action. This was the very first issue with the Rohloff hub on my folding Montague bike. Over 600 miles now on it. Turns out, it was only the external shifter mechanism, the knurled knob that holds it in place had backed off enough to cause it to not work. The fix took about 15 seconds and a dime, used in placed of a screwdriver as the knurled knob is also slotted. Rohloff does it this way to make it super easy to remove if you have a flat. I had failed to check it since the initial install, I'll add it to my pre ride check list, just like the wheel quick releases etc., no big deal.

Nope, your Rohloff is completely shot. Send it to me, I manage a nursing home for old worn out Rohloff's. ;-) LOL

Comment

No dice! It took about 2 minutes to:
      1. fully loosen the knurled/slotted screw and pull the external shifter away from the hub.
      2. Using a 8 mm open end wrench (pliers or a crescent would have worked also) I turned the shifting shaft clockwise to it's stop, first gear.
      3. With the handlebar mounted shifter indicator in 1 st. the external shifter was fitted back over the shaft, and the retaining screw re-tightened, done!

Point being, it was a fix I could have done on the trail, IF I carried a Leatherman tool or pliers, or an 8 mm wrench, which I don't. Even a small pair of channel locks or vice grips would serve to re position that shifter shaft, and a dime works for the screw head. I think I'll pick up the smallest pair of vice grips I can find to add to the mobile tool kit, not knockoffs either but the genuine trade marked ViceGrips. And I'll throw a couple dimes into the handlebar bag.

This hub has been such a game changer and a joy to use, that when I discovered the "problem", my first thought was "I knew this was too good to be true, and wouldn't last," so this super easy and quick repair was joyfully carried out!

I should also mention that the "very rough ride" was a particular type of bone jarring, teeth rattling, washboard rocky road that I was taking a bit too fast because, well, because I could.....if I thought this shift retainer screw coming loose was going to be a chronic issue, I'd drill it and safety wire it or use lock tight. As, I'll just check it every few rides and keep it simple, and also easy to get it off when fixing a flat.
      Last edited by CPG; 11-09-2016, 08:26 AM.

Comment

CPmacGyver:

Comment

Im on the fence about rohloff, but thinking a bbshd with that 24ah 52v and a gates belt drive would be just about ideal if it was all compatible and capable of handling the power.

Comment

• insider
            insider commented
            Editing a comment
            I've just build that exact setup in a Bullitt cargo bike. The Bullit has a 68mm bottom shell and a standard 135mm rear chain stay spacing.
            I had no issues with the Gates belt line when compared with the RaeFace crank I had setup.

I'll start a new thread with the build details once I have some miles under the belt ;^)

Stay Tuned.

For anyone interested buying a Rohloff, you can get one delivered directly from an authorized German dealer in Germany for less than $1k USD and in about a week.
            Whatever price you see on their website, take 20% off as over sees sales do not pay VAT.

I had another great ride this weekend with the Montague Rohloff combo. I flew up to Helena Montana and hit the bike trails there, and then the next day early Sunday morning, I had to ride across town to get back to the airport, about 5 miles. Paved city streets all the way, doing mid 30's all the way. As compared to the first gear rock crawling of the day before, point being I really, REALLY, like and use the broad gear spread between 1 st and 14 th. Low enough to go up anything, losing traction or the front wheel coming up and over will happen before it runs out of grunt, while still being able to go scary fast on city streets! Right now, my other ride (fatbike Sturgis Bullet), does the low end thing equally great, but once much over 20, maybe mid 20's, it's done. Conventional DR system on that, but if I am to believe Cycle Monkey, my fat Rohloff is on it's way. They are just getting geared up (ha ha) for providing Rohloffs for the fatties, so it has taken a while. So far, no issues with the Hub handling the BBSHD's power, I'll be sure to whine and complain about it if there is.

g275s: awesome artwork man! The most Macgyverish thing I've done (well one of them anyway) was years ago, landing my ultralight I was flying then on a mountain side, and breaking the rear axle. I took a steel fence post from an old falling down fence line and using some stainless aviation safety wire and some zip ties, hog tied it to the broken axle, it got me out of there and back home! Then there was the time........I'll stop here.

One thing I maybe didn't make clear, if a Rohloff suffers some kind of shifter cable break down (and mine are flexed every time I fold the bike, no problem so far) by manually putting the hub in a "all around" gear, using the aforementioned 8 mm wrench , pliers, whatever (dimes won't work for this....) you can proceed on your way, now riding a fully functional one speed bike.

Comment

I think the slack in the shifter cable for some hub drives is the problem with the gear sensor on these.
            I have 3-speed Sturmey archer and even though the hub has shifted to '1st' gear the sensor often keeps cutting in and out like the hub is not engaging.
            For a while I mistook this as my hub shift cable being pinched or not engaging, etc.; but after changing the cable I finally figured out what's going on.
            When I shift to lowest gear the cable is not taunt, and apparently the little bit of movement allowed triggers the shift sensor erratically.

I am going to try and MacGyver something up with a spring on the connector today with the intent on loading the cable.
            Has anyone else done this or have any ideas on how to go about it?

Comment

Originally posted by quantumcloud509 View Post
              Im on the fence about rohloff, but thinking a bbshd with that 24ah 52v and a gates belt drive would be just about ideal if it was all compatible and capable of handling the power.
              I think a Rohloff has to many speeds for a BBSHD. I am using a Sturmey-Archer hybrid drive and all I use is the 3 spd part 95% of the time. It is pretty flat here but if I get into some hills I shift t the derailleur from the 15 to the 18 tooth cog. The Sturmey-Archer 5 spd looks like it has possibilities. To me at least.

Comment

Thanks...thats really good information. And thanks for shattering my rohloff dreams hahaha

Comment

• calfee20
                  calfee20 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The Rohloff costs more than my whole bike BBSHD battery and all.

This is a good article on IGHs. http://www.electricbike.com/mid-drive-kit-igh/

Here is a quote from the article.

"The place where the Rohloff is most appropriate is on a low-powered mid drive in a very hilly region. This is because my experience has shown me that…the more power your system has, the fewer gears you need. Most “pedal only” bicyclists like to have as many gears as possible, but once you have added electric power to your bicycle, the need to frequently be shifting can become tedious."

Comment

Here is one case where you might want to use a Rohloff...

Quote:
                  "7. Rohloff Hubs Allow you to Change Many Gears at Once

You are able to change multiple gears in one go: the limitation is the amount of movement you have in your wrist. I can change about seven gears at once, of which I’ve had to do before under rapid deceleration! Ahh short, sandy climbs… "
                  http://www.cyclingabout.com/15-reaso...a-rohloff-hub/

And if this is the case with only two turns of the wrist you can go from high to low. Oh the pain and effort involved...not.

From all ive read it sounds like a great BBSHD transmission.

If someone would now buy just me one ;-) ;-) I'm sure I could get used to all the shifting :-)
                  Last edited by g725s; 11-20-2016, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• calfee20
                    calfee20 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the link. It gives you a lot to think about. Rohloff makes a wide hub that would fit the Electra.

I had a 18 mile ride yesterday, 2500' gain, with the Rohloff'd Montague. I noticed I am now at a bit over 800 miles on the setup, and a couple comments on the gears shifting thing. I often shift 2,3, or 4 or maybe more gears at a time, depending on the riding requirements. It's quick and effortless, so why not? On the other hand, like on this ride which had some super steep gravelly spots (too steep to ride down, what I call steep, scary steep, I should have used the inclometer app on my phone to check it, WAY steep) it is a joy to be able to slice and dice.....make very fine (while still being quick and effortless) gearing changes, and just totally fine tune the ride. The extreme low gear of the RM handled this just fine, also later going over 30, that very wide spread is what makes it, the multitude of all the other in between gears is just a bonus!

For some reason I'm reminded of some great advice I got from a lady back country skier, who passed my lame ass while I was (for the first time) hiking out of bounds, with my new split board, from the ski area to do some back country runs. We were at 8500', and I knew she was behind me (and good looking, so I of course wanted to show her how fit and bad I was). so I was a little chagrined to have her easily cruise on by me, not even breathing hard! Sure she was also 30 years younger, but still! She gave me some great advice, she told me I was "in too high a gear", I was taking too big of steps so to speak, and she demoed the way she was doing it, lot's of little steps (if you can step on skis, strides, whatever). The length of these steps is varied to keep you in the zone of whatever fitness level you have. I'd been just going like hell and then taking a breather, and then repeat, she just made steady progress. Simple concept, obvious even, but man does it ever work.

Comment

• calfee20
                    calfee20 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I am a flatlander and I am also a pavement guy. I would also like to be comfortable on dirt or gravel roads. The reason I have ordered an Electra cruiser Fat is to be more comfortable than I am now on questionable roads and trails. I would love to have a Rohloff but for my needs I think a 5 or even a 3 spd would be perfect.

I am looking to upgrade to a Rohloff in the near future. I was wondering where you guys recommend purchasing from?

Comment

Cycle Monkey, talk to Tyler. Keep in mind anyplace else you buy from, goes through CM anyway, as they are the sole US distributor for Rohloff. They know all things Rohloff better then anyone so why mess around?

Comment

• insider
                      insider commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well, that's not exactly true. You can buy directly from an authorized dealer in Germany (Complete with dealer stamped warranty card) and not have to pay VAT.

Didn't know, that, but I'd rather send the money to Colorado and keep it as simple as possible. I've had hassles even buying things in Canada! Customs fees etc.......

Comment

Working...
                    X