No announcement yet.

Rohloff shifter problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote from insider: " For anyone interested buying a Rohloff, you can get one delivered directly from an authorized German dealer in Germany for less than $1k USD and in about a week.
    Whatever price you see on their website, take 20% off as over sees sales do not pay VAT. "

That is good info to know for anyone that might not get one based on the +/- $1500 price tag.

Also interested in seeing your cargo bike build.

Comment

• insider
      insider commented
      Editing a comment
      I have about 50 miles on the Rohloff / Gates / Bullitt (RGB).
      I'm pushing about 320lbs of bike + double child cargo box + 2 kindergarten kids + BBSHD + 24ah battery+me(130lb).

I can manage the hills of SF on my home <> school <> work (15mile round trip) commute.
      I'm doing PAS only with 9 levels and I have not gone beyond level 3. The bike is very quite I can hear a little bit of the the BBSHD, but the belt line is silent.

With the low center of gravity, the bike is so much fun to ride! The kids are screaming with joy everytime we go out.

I will do an in dept RGB build write up soon!

• Eric Luna
      Eric Luna commented
      Editing a comment
      have you tried this yet....sounds interesting to me ;)

My skis for my kitplane were built in Canada, I remember the shipping being "quite a lot", and then the final insult. 6 months later I get another bill from UPS, something to do with custom fees or words to that effect. About $200.00 (the skis were $4500.00) I blew it off, didn't pay it. A few weeks later I paid it after a short talk with a UPS rep, who said " fine, you don't HAVE to pay it, you'll just never be able to use UPS again, ever." That kind of soured me on getting things directly from other countries!

With the Rohloff, I didn't really know what I was doing, what I needed, so I relied on CM to get me lined out properly, plus as long the hub was right there in their shop it made sense to have them lace up the wheel. I also wanted someone I could call directly for any future help, plus I'll be sending it to them for any future work/maintenance, so they got my business. I could see the direct from Germany thing being the way to go for someone who knew what they were doing!

Comment

I think we are getting a bit off topic here...

I was quoted $1700 for the Speedhub 500/14 CC DB OEM2,(Before wheel build) that was a barrier to entry proof too difficult to penetrate.
      I ended up sourcing the hub, and send it to CycleMonkey. (I live about 11 miles from CM.) The thing with CM is that you'd have to be very specific to avoid paying stupid tax.
      With the best possible materials available for a the strongest Rohloff wheel it will cost about $200 (Labor & wheel parts - without hub - Don't forget you still need belt, chain ring and cog)

If I get hit with customs I'll pay it, but pretty sure it is less than $1700 + tax.

Last edited by insider; 12-07-2016, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Hey Insider...if you're only 11 miles away from CM, how about dropping by and asking Neil how much longer my fatbike (for the guy from Idaho, they'll know who you mean, keep it friendly) hub is going to take?! It's been 4 months, since my $1,000.00 down payment, and I've been very patient. BUT, in the last 2 weeks, after I just waited (not bugging them point being), after two different phone calls that ended with "I'll check it out and get right back to you", and then NOT getting a return call, I'm about ready to drive there myself from Idaho, seriously. I, like most, don't mind waiting, what I don't like is my call no getting returned as promised.

Comment

After many months of waffling, I decided to not pursue putting a through the hub axle Rohloff on my fat bike. The process that they have to size the thing to your bike involves a test kit that Cycle Monkey sends you. It was a fine example of German engineering, and confusing as hell to me! I did it the best I could, but garbage in, etc. CM contacted me and wanted to send the test kit back for me to do it again, but I decided to drive to their shop in the Bay area from my place in SE Idaho, and just let them do it for me. When I eventually had other business that direction, their shop was not too far out of the way. Then.... TWICE this winter I got caught up in snowstorms going through the Donner Summit area, and got turned back due to not having tire chains! Having two AWD rigs at home, I'd be damned if I was going to buy tire chains at an inflated rate, for a one time use, for my plug in Prius. Which, BTW, has super good ice tires on it and could easily have handled the conditions those days, I live on a mountain by a ski area and have for 40 years, but I understand the highway department has to consider the flat land urban driver, when these make these decisions.

Seems like a weird way to decide whether to go Rohloff or not I know! But I figured it wasn't meant to be, for now anyway. Meanwhile I continue to really appreciate the Rohloff on my Montague, and oddly enough, the derailleur shifting system on the fat bike has lately been behaving itself just fine, haven't missed a shift for some time, unlike before. I think I stumbled on the sweet spot of it's adjustment, or just got lucky! So, I bought a brand new heavy duty chain for it and just ride it as much as possible without needlessly shifting. With my Rohloff bike, I look for excuses to shift as it's so painless and reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by g725s View Post
            Quote from insider: " For anyone interested buying a Rohloff, you can get one delivered directly from an authorized German dealer in Germany for less than $1k USD and in about a week.
            Whatever price you see on their website, take 20% off as over sees sales do not pay VAT. "

That is good info to know for anyone that might not get one based on the +/- $1500 price tag.

Also interested in seeing your cargo bike build.
            Finally did the writeup after 1000 miles on the Bullitt.

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...ff-gates-bbshd

Comment

Originally posted by insider View Post

Finally did the writeup after 1000 miles on this Bullitt.

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...ff-gates-bbshd
              Very nice build! BTW, great pictures. Thanks for posting them!
              Last edited by Neil Warnock; 1 week ago.

Comment

Working...
              X