H.D chain tensioner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H.D chain tensioner

Running a BBSHD on an Alfine 8 speed IGH. LBS installed the Alfine for me with a Surly spring loaded chain tensioner. Seemed too weak to me, sure enough, chain was falling off under the slightest load. Any better suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

How about the rear derailleur. Adjust the screws to keep it in one position. No shifter no cable.

Comment

Shimano makes a rear chain tensioner for the Alfine. I'm using one with my Nexus 3 speed

Comment

Chain falling off under the slightest load, are you sure it's a tensioner problem? Could it be a chain line issue?

Comment

Did you try adjusting the spring tension on the Surly? Also there are two different springs for the Surly depending on is the tensioner is mounted inside the chain pushing down or outside the chain pushing up. Check the position of the adjustable rollers as well.......

Comment

Thanks for all the help. calfee20, I'm going to use your great suggestion, at least for now. I was hoping to ditch the derailleur to make things simple, my mistake perhaps. I like the cleaner line of a tensioner as well, I'll likely try to make one work later. The chainline on my bike with the Alfine seems really good. Not perfect but within what would have been one cog over. Because I didn't install the Surly I didn't really look at it before,other than a quick look at the chainline, I'll go through the process of setting it up to see if that helps. I'd try the Shimano tensioner if the Surly won't work.

Comment

The other change that my LBS made with the install was putting on a wider chain. Is this maybe a contributing factor to having the chain come off under load?

Comment

This is what I use. Original spring pushed away, reverse wound my own to get the results I needed!

Comment

When you say wider do you mean 1/8 as apposed to 3/32 or BMX vs 8spd chain? I bought a very robust chain from Wipperman. http://www.connexchain.com/en/product/connex-7e8.html It did not work properly on my Shimano 8spd cassette. I was getting "ghost shifts" or it was always trying to climb a gear because the chain was so wide. This was a 3/32 chain however and I plan to salvage the purchase by using it with a S-A 5spd on my new build. There was a thread about breaking chains some time back. http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...-size-and-type The chain I bought is still available and it should be a nice heavy duty chain for an IGH. http://www.planetcyclery.com/bike-co...-8-speed-chain

Comment

Rix Ryds, your tensioner is just what what I'm looking for. I'd love to know exactly what you did there. Did you start with a spring or a piece of spring steel wire? calfee20, I don't know enough to answer your question right now. I'll make some measurements in the morning, my bike's at my shop. If I had to guess I'd say it's a 1/8". Thanks for the links. I started putting the derailleur back on & ran out of time. I'm putting the old (also brand new) chain back on, I just need to shorten it a bit.

Because of what I've read while trying to figure out my first build here I was wanting a heavy duty chain of some sort as I plan to put some serious commuter miles on my build. I haven't seen this asked here but is there a way to source front & rear chainrings up for a much heavier chain?

Comment

The chain that the LBS put on is 5/16" wide. I put the old chain back on, after removing a few links, with the derailleur as calfee20 suggested and it seems perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by mbtuner View Post
                        Rix Ryds, your tensioner is just what what I'm looking for. I'd love to know exactly what you did there. Did you start with a spring or a piece of spring steel wire?
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	20160604_100526_resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	31302

Name:	20160604_100559.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	31303Click image for larger version

Name:	20160604_100635_resized.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	821.0 KB
ID:	31304 I made a spring winder, and rewound a spring in the reverse to make it push the chain in the right direction. I used .078in. spring steel wire from Ebay.

Comment

Rix Ryds, thanks very much for taking the time to post. Clever indeed! I'll be happy if I can do half as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mbtuner View Post
                            Running a BBSHD on an Alfine 8 speed IGH. LBS installed the Alfine for me with a Surly spring loaded chain tensioner. Seemed too weak to me, sure enough, chain was falling off under the slightest load. Any better suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
                            I have the BBS02 750w plus the Alfine 8, Tensioner was $15 or so from Amazon

Name:	P1000530.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	374.0 KB
ID:	36381

Comment

I have basically the same chain tensioner as tommie but from another vendor. My chain skipped and fell of often until I wound my own spring in the opposite direction to make it push the chain up, wrapping it more around the sprocket. No skips, no drops after 1000miles+! Reassembly is a bit tricky, there is a small plate on the tensioner with a stop pin and a spring hole these have to swap position. I can send you a spring for $10, or you can send the tensioner to me and I will send it back modified and ready to go for $15. Extra $5 is to cover shipping. I have done this mod for forum member Arboh . If I am not mistaken, the Surly tensioner comes with two different springs for just this purpose.

Comment

• wiGGles
                                wiGGles commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Yup, Surly Singleator comes with two springs. Running mine with the chain up spring & only skipped when I adjusted the tension down to basically nothing.
                            Working...
                            X