Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 73Eldo
    replied
    On a reasonably well designed wheel assembly you are only going to have enough range in the spoke length to maybe go 5mm. If your goal is 10mm that's going to require different length spokes. Many wheel builds the left and right spokes will be different lengths so sometimes maybe swapping the left and right may get you where you need to go? Only a slight chance of that tho. There are some hacks like washers under the nipples but that only may help on one side and the other side you may not have enough threads engaged.

I think Grin (ebikes.ca) has a hub motor spoke calculator. I'm not sure that regular calcs work with hub motors since they tend to be bigger to a lot bigger than standard hubs so their calculator is likely the way to go plus it likely already has a database of popular motors so you don't have to measure yours.

Leave a comment:

• diverdon55
    replied
    This is the picture Golden Motors sent me of a normal wheel ...it is off center to the hub/motor but centered on the axle/fork ... Mine isn't like this ...

I only noticed once I blew up the picture then I could see it was off center compared to mine ....
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• diverdon55
    started a topic .... "Dishing" MP 5 Wheel ...

.... "Dishing" MP 5 Wheel ...

After months of working with Golden Motors Canada I/we have determined the rim needs to be "dished" on the hub/motor ... It's off center 10 mm .. Everything works fine I ride most every day .. Like the cruise feature and the regen brakes ...the controller in the hub is really nice also ...this is my 3rd Magic pie ...in 30? years ... I built this bike in 2019 ..new bike ..new Magic pie 5 kit .. wheel has been off center from the start ..works fine ..had to "adjust" the spacers in the rim brakes but it works fine ...400 miles a month I do average .. The way I understood it was it was normal and they made them this way for Disc brakes ...

So after 3 years of use I "checked in" with the company to see if they had a fix for it ... Seems they didn't realize I had a problem and said it wasn't normal ...after much testing and research we found I had a wheel from the factory laced/spoked different than the rest .....and needed to "adjust the spokes" .. Sorry this is so long ..wanted to try to explain why I did this ..

Yesterday I got the nerve to adjust the spokes ... I had dribbled a little wd-40 on the spoke nipples a couple of times last week ...the bike lives inside so I was hoping for them to be free ...

So ... Here's the Problem ... I loosened the side I needed the rim to move from 1 turn on all spokes ...no problem ...then went to tighten the other side to pull the rim that way ....they tightened the 1 turn but was sorta tight .... The rim didn't seem to move at all ..10 mm off is a long way ...so I went to loosen the other side again to try pulling the rim over ...some of the spokes were sorta loose already but I went the 1 turn on all of them for it to be even ......... Then went to the other side to "Pull" the rim over .... The spokes were very tight ...hard to get the 1 turn on them ...when I was done ..the Rim was still off and the one side had spokes that were finger loose ...easily shooken with your fingers ...

I couldn't leave them flopping around loose ... I had loosened them 2 turns all together so I tightened them all back 1 1/2 turns ... "seems OK" Went for 5 mile test ride seems fine ..wheel still off ...In the end 1 side is 2 turns tighter and 1 side is 1/2 turn looser ... Looking at this setup it seems to me the spokes cannot move the wheel because their so short and theirs not much width between one side and the other to do the "pulling"

Any Advice will be appreciated I'm no expert ..can this 1 side being 2 turns tighter hurt anything? Does it make sense That I couldn't "dish" this wheel ?? Thank You all for reading this Book ...Don J. ......
Working...
X