No announcement yet.

The Magic Pie Bluetooth Is Not Really Supported

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I finally got a chance to test the Bluetooth Adapater I got from Luna 2 weeks ago. And I have the same problems with it as most other people it appears. If Bluetooth is enabled before running their app, the app crashes immediately. If it is disabled, you get the app's main screen, but when you go to pair the adapter and it enables Bluetooth, the app crashes again before pairing. So it definitely seems there is a problem with the Android app and there does not appear to be any support from GM as there are several posts on their forums with the same issue and no reply.

I don't know if y'all are offering a refund on it, but it's definitely not working on any of the 3 phones I've tried. The LCD display and USB cable have worked well at least.
    Magic Pie v5 + Giant Sedona + 52V 13.5ah Panasonic Bottle Battery

Comment

I hope Eric hasn't thrown in the towel on the BT. I found an old phone ($20) that finds the BT module, but it doesn't completely pair. I set up my Mag Pie Five over the weekend, and wanted to test it with a small LiPo pack. Problem was, the motor is programmed for 48v and my pack is about 36v. Took a while to figure this out, power to the LED and nothing else, but I decided to check the parameters with the app. Again, no full pairing, but I could get into the config menu and change to a 36 v system. That it does.

I'd like to get the two motors I have set up with PAS. I know I need the sensors, which Canada sells. On the Luna MP5 I think the connector is missing on one wire, so is that the PAS connection? My Smart from GM Canada has a connector that looks right.

The Bluetooth would let me configure the PAS, the setting and some ratio. The twist throttle is twitchy on rough terrain. Maybe the thumb throttle is better. The twitchy throttle makes the cruise control button hard to use. If the motors could be set up with PAS that would help, and the BT would be cheaper and have more functions.

They are really nice motors but there are accessories I would like to buy, and I wish the BT was fully functional. How do I set up the PAS?

Comment

Originally posted by Ziflin View Post
        Well, I finally got a chance to test the Bluetooth Adapater I got from Luna 2 weeks ago. And I have the same problems with it as most other people it appears. If Bluetooth is enabled before running their app, the app crashes immediately. If it is disabled, you get the app's main screen, but when you go to pair the adapter and it enables Bluetooth, the app crashes again before pairing. So it definitely seems there is a problem with the Android app and there does not appear to be any support from GM as there are several posts on their forums with the same issue and no reply.

I don't know if y'all are offering a refund on it, but it's definitely not working on any of the 3 phones I've tried. The LCD display and USB cable have worked well at least.

email support@lunacycle.com and we will take care of you.

I will get with golden pie on this...i did not realize the product is not working at alll with new android phones..this is the first time i have heard this.

Maybe golden pie has released a new firmware update which could fix this.... I will check.
        ERIC

Comment

This is the guy that seems to speak for the Chinese company. This is the guy who apparently won’t do anything for you or Gary up in Canada.
          This is the problem with DIY. It’s one company, Bafang, and two motors. There’s no innovation. I buy bluetooth stuff on Amazon, headphones or keyboards or game controllers. They work pretty flawlessly. This is a simple interface. There’s not much going on with this BT app. But you and Golden can’t make it work. You’re saying use some Windows based USB adapter that isn’t easy to launch and requires a computer. The BT would let me configure the motor, run the PAS, and get basic information, on a cheap smartphone I could put on the handlebars. You have not thought this through.
          I don’t need this. The motor is great and eventually you will slowly get things up to speed. But it’s not a refined system right now, and you don’t care. The other company seems clueless. Neither of you have any pull with the Chinese company.
          I’m moving on. Basically, I hate Bafang. They are a monopoly and they aren’t selling a refined product. They dribble out little changes when they absolutely have to. Golden has a simple motor but no one will do the basic stuff to make it really refined. You aren’t in control, they are.
          There are innovative products in the CF arena. The prices are right. It fits in better with my view of what power levels an ebike should have. I’m looking for something else, right now, because this is a tedious waste of time with minimal results.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Luna View Post
            email support@lunacycle.com and we will take care of you.
            ERIC
            Hehe, Eric, I emailed support and Louis just sent me back to this thread.

Comment

• Louis
              Louis commented
              Editing a comment
              I avoided the feature after reading reports, I had no help for you, there's more here.

There is now a version 1.28 of the software on the GM Canada downloads page. It is fully functional on a Marshmallow Android, but now it won't load on an older Android V4. It loads with difficulty. People may have better luck letting it crash and then going into running programs to bring it up, not relaunching. Once it runs it seems to be stable, but it can be a real pain to get it to launch and not crash, initially. I'm trying the thumb throttles to see if they are easier to use, setting the cruise. If the BT app seems to work OK, I might get the sensor kits for the PAS. Even on a 36v system, the Magic Pie is a great motor, and it is pretty much legal.

Comment

George, where did you see this on the GM Canada page? (Do you have a link?) The only link that I see directs you to http://www.goldenmotor.com/apps/ which still lists the same version that I have had - v1.13

Comment

If you go to the apps page on the phone, it shows version 1.28 after installing what was on there last night. When you do the download, it says goldenmotor1.13.apk. Do they update it little by little? I don't know whether there have been any actual changes since I downloaded in February, since I cleared everything out and did fresh downloads. I had a V4 Android that was working, but only to set the Configuration, nothing on the front page of the app. That phone stopped working, so I downloaded the app last night to a Moto G upgraded to Marshmallow. This phone was reset, so it is clean. The app works, but it won't launch reliably. Once launched, it is OK. Whatever I downloaded last night is working differently, so I assumed maybe they changed something.

Comment

Yeah, that's the same one I've been using. It just crashes immediately on launch with all our phones.

Comment

I'm pinning my hopes on the thumb throttles and getting the cruise to where it is painless to set. The full grip throttle is a pain on rough terrain, and the throttle ramp setting isn't enough. I've used bikes with half-grip throttles and they are stable because most of your grip is more stable. Little tweaks, here and there. Maybe more settings for the throttle, or different tensions. I wish I could just click settings, like 100-200-300 watts, into the cruise. With a wattmeter I can see when the power is stable, and activate the cruise about where I want it. There are parts for some motors that are different on other motors, and I don't even know how interchangeable they are. Gary says the thumb throttle is a lot more precise so if that works I might stop there.

Comment

I'm hoping it's not as bad as it sounds, I just bought a MP5 with BT from Luna (wanted the LCD but they were out). I got the app to run on my Galaxy G5, but I noticed it always crashed unless I turned off Bluetooth first and let the app turn it on, then it seemed to be stable. I'll see how it goes when I receive the kit.

Comment

Hi Larzee,

no worries,

if the BT doesnt perform we will trade it in for the lcd (we now have in stock).

Comment

Thanks Eric, I saw you had some LCD's in stock again and ordered one, it's scheduled to arrive today, just in time for the MP5 build this weekend :-).
                          I'll let you know what my findings are concerning the BT.

Comment

I got an email saying they have a new version of the BT APP on the Golden Canada Downloads page. I'll try it over the long weekend.
                            Program your Ebike with your Phone!
                            Golden Motor Bluetooth APP for Android v4.4 to 6

Its here finally. An updated Bluetooth APP for Android that works for KitKat, Lollipop and Marshmallow versions of Android. Now you can use your Android device to program your motor and attach it to your bike to monitor speed, power, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_hnwBeIra0
                            Last edited by GeorgeS; 05-27-2016, 05:25 PM.

Comment

The revision is not perfect. I got several crashes on my most basic phone, an LG41c. I plugged in the BT module and unplugged it, a few times. I launched the program with the BT on and off. I finally got the BT pairing screen to show, and then I got the GM registered with BT, I guess. After that it stopped crashing. With another phone, once it worked, it worked pretty well. I will run the program on the phone, on the handlebars, and see if that works. The App shows the PAS settings, and that would be handy. The App lets you tweak the throttle settings and the power settings. I hope it works.

Comment

Working...
                              X