7 vs 8 Speed Freewheel for Magic Pie V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7 vs 8 Speed Freewheel for Magic Pie V

I have a Magic Pie V rear kit on the way from Luna and ordered a 7 speed Freewheel to arrive about the same time. Today, I was looking at my bike, and just realized that it has an 8 speed cassette, not 7. And my shift system is all set up for 8, not 7. So looks like I screwed up. Can I still use the 7 speed freewheel that I have coming, or do I need to get an 8 speed freewheel. I am hoping my shifter can be used/converted to use the 7 speed freewheel?

You should be able to use the limit screws on the derailleur to keep the chain from moving into that 8th gear you won't have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xV-ItsgyP0

You can also buy a cheap 7 speed shifter. There are several styles. The 7 speed is mostly 'Tourney' grade.

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Shifte...t-video&sr=8-4

Comment

You may want to check your shifters: I switched from a 9-speed to a 6-speed freewheel on my new Magic Pie and in the process of shopping for a replacement bar end shifter I learned that I could switch the one I already had between indexed and friction. I will have to be my own index with a friction shifter, but that's how all my road bikes shifted back in the '70's, so I am sure I will master the skill....... The front derailleur was already a non-indexed friction type.

Comment

Well, turns out I had other issues with trying to convert my 24 speed mtn bike. The brakes and shifters were integrated as one, so would have had to also buy new shifters if I used the ebrakes. And the frame was not suitable for mounting the bottle battery. So I bought a brand new FS 21 speed mountain with separate shifters and brakes, and the frame has a very good spot for mounting the bottle battery. So now I can also use that 7 speed free wheel that I bought. My MP5 kit just arrived, so will get started soon on my conversion.

Comment

Working...
        X