Cruise control for MP 5 with thumb throttle not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise control for MP 5 with thumb throttle not working

I got my Magic Pie running this week and I really like it. Lots of power and decent speed (31mph) on the street, but my thumb is killing me! The damn throttle spring is too strong and I need the cruise control to function. I have no display and the thumb throttle is from Luna: the more expensive one with the grey button on it. Is there any way to make the cruise work with this throttle or do I need something different? I really want to put some miles on this bike, but I need some help!

Do you have the cruise control plugged into the correct port on the harness? 1 and 4 are for the brakes, 2 is cruise control and 3 is throttle.

Comment

I don't have anything connected to plug 2 and I haven't found anything online about a cruise control unit. I have seen comment in GM PDFs about a cruise control/throttle plug...... AFAIK, you don't need a display to make the cruise work, is this correct?

Comment

I thought the cruise control and brakes complete with harness came with the MP5 kit, just the throttle and display were extra.
        https://www.goldenmotor.ca/MP4-SMP4-User-Guide.pdf

I have an MP5 kit that I just received the other day. I will not be using the GM display and will install the Batt Man instead. Am assuming both the throttle and cruise control will still work, and will find out in the next day or so, when I get it going.

Comment

I got the MP5 from Luna and the Smart Pie from GM Canada. Both came with a handlebar type control that has a red and a green button. The Red is the cruise.

I think you do want the cruise with the thumb throttle, just to lock down the speed control. It's part of the kits, AFAIK.

The picture is from the Luna product page. I think they show the twist throttle. I'll trade a twist for a thumb.

Comment

You guys are right and I am a real dope! I just checked my parts box for the Magic Pie project and I found the red and green button assembly. I've got it installed and I'll try it later today.

In my defense, I got the kit back in November, installed the motor in December and put it away to concentrate on two mid-drive builds........

Comment

Haha, happens to the best of us... Good luck with getting it going. Let us know how it works.

Comment

Exactly why I dont throw out old boxes without going through them with a fine tooth comb..

Comment

• Lance Tesla
                  Lance Tesla commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The box was long gone, it was in the plastic storage bin with the take offs and misc parts from the donor bike.

Well, the cruise worked great, it's actually an electronic throttle lock since it won't hold a set speed uphill and it speeds up going down, but that's fine by me. I did 33.6 miles by GPS and used 296.8wh. I never went over 15mph and never went under 13 and never pedaled. The ride was all bike path with a bunch of street crossings where I had to stop for the lights and traffic. I really like this motor!
                Last edited by Lance Tesla; 06-08-2016, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X