X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Siegecow
    commented on 's reply
    Everything was pretty much plug and play. The specific converter im using is the DBB6040 "Double battery pack balance discharger" that I got from JohnnyNerdOut's shop which has anderson connectors 2in 1 out. There are similar balance discharge converters on amazon and an even swankier (and outrageously priced) Datex2. The in-frame battery gets converted via adapter from xt60 to anderson into the converter and then the output from the converter is converted back to xt60 and into the controller.
    Last edited by Siegecow; 12-21-2022, 05:03 PM.

• paxtana
    commented on 's reply
    Cool. Were there any hassles doing the wiring? What is this converter you are referring to?

• Siegecow
    replied
    Hi all! First post here.

I was finally able to mount a second battery on my Eclipse!

I added a 17.5ah 52v battery which is mounted on the underside of the frame with Rivnuts. It plugs into a battery "blender"/converter which is CRAMMED in with the controller including anderson to xt60 adapters. Supposedly 52v exceeds the "rated" voltage of the controller, but so far it works. I changed my rear tire from a heavy Shinko motorcycle tire to the original to reduce strain on the controller.

The battery just barely fits on the underside allowing access to the keyhole while also allowing you to slide in/remove the battery, I had to file down the fork a bit to get this to happen. The fork also bumps into the battery limiting the turning radius, but so far its only a factor when trying to turn the bike 180 at slow speeds or on foot. I got the expected slight boost in acceleration and top speed (which for me seems to be about 22mph PAS5) but perhaps more importantly i have a more sustained range where the bike is able to give "full" power.

Leave a comment:

• lectrik al
    commented on 's reply
    you're welcome Dave. keep fine tuning the bike and I'm sure you can get 25mph out of her.

Another check is how well the rear wheel is lined up and how tight the belt is. If the rear wheel/axle is a bit sideways, that can hurt top speed too. It's a little bit finicky with only an adjuster on the belt side, and it takes me a bit of putzin around to get it just right, and I go thru it every time I put the wheel back on. The belt kinda hides the eyesight alignment of the chainring and rear cog, but just keep eyeballing the whole setup including edge of the tire clearance on both sides of the frame. I'm runnin extra wide Badgers and got about 1/2" clearance on frame and belt.

It is worth any/all the trouble you go thru to get everything running smooth as can be. Sometimes good enough just ain't good enough!

• DaveS
    commented on 's reply
    I haven't checked the battery but the noise sounds just like that could be it. I don't know why I didn't think of that. :)

I'm not getting over 20mph on throttle alone so I will check the axle and brakes and go from there. It definitely feels a little slower than other bikes out of the box at least. I'm happy to know that it should be a little quicker. I'd be very happy with 25mph on throttle alone.

Thank you for the detailed response. I'll report back.

Dave

• lectrik al
    commented on 's reply
    The front axle bearings on her new xp were a smidge too tight as well. Don't make them sloppy, but you shouldn't feel any friction when you hold the axle in both hands and give the wheel a spin, and the longer she spins before stopping the better it is.

• lectrik al
    commented on 's reply
    have you checked to see if your battery is causing the "rattle"? There's other posts about this, but a small bit of felt stick on tape on the rub area on bottom front of the battery will snug up the fit and stop the clunking noise. too much and you won't be able to get the battery to fit back in.

If you've put some miles on the bike, you should be able to see some "wear/scuff" marks on the battery where it's hitting inside the frame.
    I had to do this, and for my spare battery as well.

My Eclipse will do 24.6 mph on throttle for the first 50 - 60% of the battery.
    If your not getting that, I would recommend checking the "tightness" of your front axle bearings. First time I removed my front wheel, I found my bearing snugged down a bit too much, and just a tweak loser removed the excess friction and let her spin freely.

Also the brakes dragging too much on the rotors can cause a loss of top speed. It's harder to keep single piston calipers adjusted so there's no drag, and as the pads wear they require more frequent adjusting because of the stationary pad gap keeps growing.
    2 or 4 piston Hydraulics fix that and I would recommend that approach as the start point if you love the bike and want better performance all around.

I just got an XP 3.0 for a buddy and installed a set of Zoom 4 piston hydraulics on it. OEM mechanicals on it were just as crappy as the low end tektros that are on the Eclipse. I can't wait to bed em in for her, but it's turned nasty winter here, and I'm on a forum instead of a bike!

• Neverlost99
    replied
    No way to change programming
    mine is clunky as well. Not a high quality fork, but gets the job done.

Leave a comment:

• DaveS
    replied
    Hello,

New customer here. Enjoying the bike so far apart from 2 things.

1. Is there any simple way to speed unlock or unlock category 3 or access some more power? I'm already on pedal assist 5. I guess I was expecting a setting in the display like other bikes have but can't see anything.

2. There is an annoying sound coming from the front end when hitting bumps or going down curbs etc. Like a rattle/something loose. Happens with or without suspension lock out. Is this normal or should I keep looking for loose stuff.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

(Luna Eclipse)

Dave

Leave a comment:

• lectrik al
    replied
    Hey Haven 76, After thinking about it, I would probably say get at least the Magura mt5 brakes. One piece cast calipers is what you want/need for 40 mph plus stopping. With my stock Eclipse brakes I was lucky to "run out of hill cause I done run outta brakes" on my second newbie ride. Did not let it happen again!
    A good hill is the only way my Eclipse can see the speed you can run at.
    Not sure how I'd feel about a buick pulling out in front of my bicycle at 40 plus no matter what kinda brakes I was running.

wonder if they make quick release holsters that use standard water bottle cage mounts? the cure probably ain't better brakes, but thinnin out the terrible drivers!

anyway, here's some pics of the zoom brakes, which should work great on a bike like an lectric xp

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1921.jpg
Views:	985
Size:	773.3 KB
ID:	157585 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1925 (1).jpg
Views:	916
Size:	528.1 KB
ID:	157586 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1924.jpg
Views:	885
Size:	622.6 KB
ID:	157587

Leave a comment:

• lectrik al
    commented on 's reply
    I can't attest as to how they function, but just received a very nice looking 4 piston set I'm going to install on my buddys xp 3.0. They're on amazon for $138. and arrive in 2 days. Everything included, 180mm rotors, mounting adaptors and bolts, and the 1/2 finger alum levers look great.

Zoom H876E, available in red or black, under - CooMengZoom. about half the price of the Magura's I bought for my Eclipse.

• Haven76
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you Retrorockit for the information! I am looking into those recommendations today. If you think of anything else please let me know!

• Retrorockit
    commented on 's reply
    For cable brakes Avid BBB7 with EBC metallic pads work well. Rotors can be had up to 220-223mm.
    TRP makes some hydraulics for Ebikes. They had to upgrade their DH brakes with new fluid, hoses, and thicker rotors. Hydros for that speed will be around $200 each.

• Haven76
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for posting lectrik al! You are absolutely right on upgrading the brakes, and I am starting my research now. If you have any suggestions, I will gladly take any and all! As far as the stock 48v 14ah battery is concerned, If it wont work in my wife's Fiido M21 folder, then we can definitely work out something since the battery sitting around wont do anyone any good. Have a good day!

• lectrik al
    commented on 's reply
    man that's flyin. been near that on mine (a serious downhill) and I was gettin into pucker and clench. Can't imagine how it must feel to know there's still somethin left at that speed on level ground. I salute! also suggest an upgrade on your stoppers if your still running the stock single pincher brakes. I wouldn't go down that hill again till I added 4 piston hydros. now I go that way on purpose!
    what ya doing with your 48v battery? i use that kind!
Working...
X