X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haven76
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for posting lectrik al! You are absolutely right on upgrading the brakes, and I am starting my research now. If you have any suggestions, I will gladly take any and all! As far as the stock 48v 14ah battery is concerned, If it wont work in my wife's Fiido M21 folder, then we can definitely work out something since the battery sitting around wont do anyone any good. Have a good day!

• lectrik al
    commented on 's reply
    man that's flyin. been near that on mine (a serious downhill) and I was gettin into pucker and clench. Can't imagine how it must feel to know there's still somethin left at that speed on level ground. I salute! also suggest an upgrade on your stoppers if your still running the stock single pincher brakes. I wouldn't go down that hill again till I added 4 piston hydros. now I go that way on purpose!
    what ya doing with your 48v battery? i use that kind!

• Haven76
    replied
    Hello everyone,

Hope all is well! Just wanted to throw out there incase anyone was interested in upgrading or modifying their Luna Eclipse, that I just completed upgrading mine, and all went well. Here is what I did.
    installed a 52V 2000W rear hub motor which included a 40 amp controller w/SW900 display. I also installed a 52V 20 AH down tube battery with 21700 Panasonic cells, which I installed 3 rivet nut screws that allowed me to mount the battery bracket, and its solid. The 40 amp controller slides right into where the stock battery went with all the cable slack. All cables routed the same as stock w/the same amount of zip ties where needed. The frame folds back together perfect with no issues. Everything was plug and play for the most part, with the transitioning from the belt setup to a single speed chain system being the most work, as far as researching . This set up is definitely MUCH faster than stock, which I have yet to max it out, I let off at about 39/40 mph since I got nervous haha, but it was still pulling me. I installed a torque arm as well since this setup for sure requires one, and slapped on some knobby tires w/slime. Here are a few pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20221030_165405.jpg
Views:	1333
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	157188 Click image for larger version

Name:	20221030_171334.jpg
Views:	1221
Size:	2.71 MB
ID:	157189 Click image for larger version

Name:	20221030_162727.jpg
Views:	1220
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	157190

Leave a comment:

• obscureyetrevealing
    replied
    paxtana Here are the pics.

Luckily the shop at Luna was able to sell me a replacement at a good price. So all is good!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• paxtana
    commented on 's reply
    Can you snap a pic?

• obscureyetrevealing
    replied
    When doing a simple adjustment of the position of my brake levers after getting new grips, the metal behind the bolt head snapped while tightening the clamp around the handlebar with normal torque. Now it spins freely and needs to be replaced.

It's clear that the metal used is pretty cheap since since the brand (Five Star) is from China and I can only find their stuff on Alibaba and Ali Express (but I can't find the levers that are used on the Eclipse).

Will Luna be able to provide a replacement?

Leave a comment:

• paxtana
    commented on 's reply
    Should be soon according to the owner of the company, she did not give a timetable but I would assume it would arrive in the same container with the next batch of bikes. Probably within a month but this is somewhat of a guess

• oldnslow
    replied
    Is there any news on when spare battery packs for the eclipse will be available

Leave a comment:

• Neverlost99
    commented on 's reply
    Any resolution

• Retrorockit
    commented on 's reply
    Bedding in is important especially for organic pads. It should be done when the bike is new also. Basically you stop repeatedly with the new pads to get them hot (unless you have a hill). This creates a dry layer on the braking surface by cooking out the oils in the pad. Once this is done the layer will work it's way down through the pad as it wears. Stopping will be better.
    To sand the rotors all you need to do is fold a piece of sand paper around it and spin the wheel a few times. My BBSHD cable brake yell at me if I don't do this. AZ's 4 piston hydros might be more polite

• Neverlost99
    commented on 's reply
    How do you use 5? I clown pedal on3

• AZguy
    commented on 's reply
    FWIW when I changed from organic to metallic the organic pads were completely shagged and I didn't touch the rotors... initially there was some noise, just more a scraping sound (no squealing) until they were bedded in and then very little noise after that for many thousands of miles... I did do some deliberate very hard braking (including some hills) to help get them bedded more quickly but really didn't do a heck of a lot aside from just putting in the new pads...

Since it's a four pot hydraulic setup I just grabbed brakes and then tightened the caliper mounts to get everything centered..

YMMV

• Retrorockit
    commented on 's reply
    If you want to switch to metallic pads the rotors must be absolutely clean, as in sanded down to fresh metal clean.Any old pad material and they will squeal. I use then on my fast city bike and they last longer and cut down on frequent adjustments. IDK the brakes the Eclipse comes with. But to adjust I lok at the rotor and if it bends when the brake is applied I adjust the inner pad first, then the outer for lever travel. The brakes can be noisy if just the outer pad hits under light braking. Keeping the inner pad tight prevents this.
    One test for brake pads is to warm up the brakes, then make a hard stop from full speed. You should be backing off the pressure on the levers as the bike slows. If you have to increase pressure as you stop, you need better pads.

• AZguy
    commented on 's reply
    So many "it depends" on how long they last

If you are a heavy dude carrying a ton of gear going down long hills every ride with organic pads... not long

If all you are doing is riding level ground with occasional gentle braking with metallic pads a very long time

Pad composition plays a huge role - I run a large bike and tend to be very aggressive on braking for turns but not so much for stops and only do long downhills occasionally - organic pads lasted about 1500mi but metallic pads lasted >6000mi... there are pros and cons to the different types of pads but in general metallic will far outlast organic however that's just one factor in the selection and the backing plate material selection also makes a performance difference

I just eyeball them when they are on the bike, when they get down to 1mm or so I'll likely pop them out and look at how even they are wearing and measure - for mine the recommended "limit" is 3mm for pad and backing plate... For most hydraulic (at least a good four pot) you don't usually need to adjust them (I might once through their life or if I notice they aren't wearing evenly) but most mechanical (cable pull) ought to be adjusted periodically

• Neverlost99
    replied
    How many miles should you expect on Eclipse brake pads?
    how do you know when they need replacement.
    I am an old rim brake guy so clueless.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X