This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paxtana View Post
    It is illegal to bring that battery on any passenger aircraft, per international regulations. Does not matter if it is in the bike or not.

To remove the battery, remove the motor, then the battery slides out the bottom.
    If the cells can be easily separated then they could be split between 3 or more passengers, putting it below the legal limit of 100wh per passenger.
    is it possible to remove cells individually ?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      You would not even get past security with that.

You are talking about bare unprotected cells with wires, cut pieces of razor sharp nickel strips, odd bits of kapton tape on them and a circuitboard, and all this stuff spread across multiple passengers. The 100wh limit is irrelevant at that point because it's not even packaged, or in equipment, or anything, and is arguably more dangerous than if it was in the bike.

If you had individual cells in individual cell holders then sure that's doable, or if it's in small battery packs in their own housing, but if you go through an airport X-ray with something like that I would not be surprised if they hold you at gunpoint because it will look more like an incendiary device than a battery.

Surely you can see how that would be considered a major red flag to airport officials. If you want to see what a homeland security interrogation is like then sure give it a shot, but I would not do this.

Also you would have to rebuild the battery even if you could get it through, which takes specialized equipment and skills, especially since the original nickel strips would be cut. Not to mention the cells are glued together, and if you nick the cells with tin snips while cutting through the glue and nickel, it will burn you instantly and possibly start a fire. At Luna we never disassemble batteries because it is super tricky.

If you really want the bike this bad you would need to have a freight forwarder provide a USA address Luna can ship to, then have the forwarder send it ocean freight.

Does anyone know whether the 36v Luna advanced charger fits this bike? I assume it's a barrel connector of some size, but there's very little useful detail on either page. Thanks.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      That charger has XT60, you would just cut it off and attach the solderless barrel that's in the connector section

Should I be concerned about this dangling gasket/band that others have reported coming from the crank casing?
    Attached Files

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      We just got replacements for that if you need a couple

I just got my stealth less then two weeks ago. on my fourth ride and the motor seized? the pedals wont turn forward at all?

I love this bike and would really appreciate some help!

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Never heard of that before, sorry to hear it.. please email support@lunacycle.com with your order number and a brief description. Since it's new we will likely just get you a return label for the bare motor to swap it out (it is easily removable)

Is it possible to remove the display from the loop? I like clean handlebars, and my rides are short but hilly. I find myself only ever using PAS3. I don't care what MPH I'm going, and my commute is short enough that I never run out of battery.

​​​Can I replace the display with a simple on/off switch, and reprogram the controller for full-time PAS3?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Not that I am aware of..

Cool, thanks for the reply. Is the controller "locked" and not programmable at all?

Comment

I'm a fan of both ebikes and IGHs and Gates - familiar with Alfine 8, 11, and Speedhub. While I like the idea of the Fixed, I feel 3 gears is just not enough range. I want to hit high speeds but I also have a sustained 18-20 percent grade of nearly 1000ft, so I need lower gearing as well. Can Luna provide a version of the Fixed with more gears and wider range while keeping Gates in the mix?

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Well certainly not within any reasonable time frame, this is not a custom built bike. Maybe in a future production run who knows, but for right now it sounds like one of our other models would be more suited to you

Just got the Stealth for my 8 mile (one way) daily commute. Gonna make a few upgrades to add comfort for the mileage I put on my eBikes. I would like to raise the handlebars with a stem extension for more upright riding position.

(1) What is the spec of the existing headset and the existing stem so that I can find something compatible?

(2) Can anyone recommend a product or two that might work well for my needs?

As an aside, I already swapped in my kinekt bodyfloat suspension seatpost, and Baramind BAM city compliant handlebars. The bike rides super smooth! I think 23-24 mph with a still reasonably comfortable pedaling cadence is the sweet spot, at least for me. Excellent product.

Comment

And another question. I would like to attach a kickstand.

(1) My preference is for a center mount kickstand, but I don’t think the mid drive motor housing allows for one. Am I wrong?

(2) If I have to go with a rear mount kickstand, do these screw holes allow for attachment of rear kickstand, despite also being used for brake caliper? Are they 18mm or 40mm support hole distance?

I’m thinking something like the Pletscher Comp 18 or 40:
        https://www.pletscher.ch/index.php/e...-kickstands-en

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          There are stands that clamp onto the chainstay, that is what I would probably use

• markitos144
          markitos144 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok sounds good. So those two threaded holes that are circled in the above image which are 18mm apart should not be used for a rear mount kickstand?

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          Well it's not intended for that purpose..

In a pinch could I charge the bike from a USB port on a portable power station if I had a USB to 5.5mm (or whatever size the port is) cord?
        It's either 2.4A or 3A, 5v -12v. So I guess it would take a while? But would it be fine?
        the context is, let's say I was going on a longish trip, probably will have access to power, but want backup in case...I have a high capacity portable power station, say 220 Wh, with USB ports. Could I use it to charge the Fixed?

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          That would fry the USB port and possibly cause a fire. You can not charge a 36v system with a 5v USB power source, or even a 12v power source.

• subsumption
          subsumption commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah right...wrong way. Any thoughts on using a portable power station with an inverter that puts out 110v ac through regular 3-prong socket where I could just plug in the Luna charger?
          as a range extender for a long ride that is... They have ~200-300wh ones that weigh 5-10lbs... probably some loss going back and forth to DC? Might not be so bad to carry one of those and the charger

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes you could probably chain the DC>AC>DC like that but in my experience it may not function perfectly. Maybe test it at home first.

In theory there are certain buck converters that can possibly be used to convert the DC to higher voltage and still have CC/CV. This one was suggested recently https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...c=1&pldnSite=1

This one may also work, not sure if it has cc/cv though https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HCL7LEW/

Obviously this is way outside the scope of what would be recommended and you could damage the battery with the wrong setting. Do so at your own risk and please bear in mind support will not be responsible for any damage that results. Just because something is technically possible does not mean it is typically advisable.

I'm stuck on step 4 trying to take off the bottom bracket ("4th using standard threaded bb tool, (BB-22) turn the splined nut clockwise to remove it, it's reverse thread so it turns the opposite of normal threads"). When I try to rotate clockwise, the front chainring just rotates with the bb22. To keep the chainring from spinning clockwise, I stuck a wrench through the chainring spokes to catch on the frame. 20-30 ft-lbs of clockwise force on the BB-22 does nothing. Pry harder? Am I fighting myself? This is an unnamed motor with an unorthodox drive side setup; it would help to have more details in the guide. Thanks.
        Last edited by Grimmer; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          I recommend to email support@lunacycle.com before doing anything else, ask Seb for clarification he should be able to help

• Sebz
          Sebz commented
          Editing a comment
          HI if the belt is still on it, you can just lock the rear brake (with a velcro strap, or some tape) that will lock up the motor too, then you can remove that nut! it's possible that the nut is a little tighter than 30ft/lb.. it's ok as long as you are turning clockwise to remove it!

I know that the Gates drive is amazing, but I have been riding off road on hills and find that I am destroying the internal hub. What would be the specs and process to add a rear derailleur. Can I do a 135mm QR hub? Is there a bracket for the slide out to hold the QR in place and put a derailleur hanger on it?

Thanks much

Comment

• Sebz
          Sebz commented
          Editing a comment
          I do not have to clue to be honest, I never seen a conversion from a IGH /belt drive to a chain and derailleur. It's probable that you would have to make your own bracket so it would fit the tensioner dropout.. Or Maybe the SRAM universal deraileur hanger could fit? : https://youtu.be/p-ezeguRzMY?t=86
      Working...
      X