Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was on a ride recently, and the motor disengaged, the speedometer went to 0.0, and an error message popped up at the bottom of the screen ! 30 H. Now the bike won't recognize when I'm pedaling to assist me. Has anyone experienced this, or is able to help me troubleshoot? paxtana I would be so thankful!

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Error 30 is a communication error. So that means anything that communicates could be the source of the error. Typically the harness, controller, or display. Please email support@lunacycle.com in the meantime, you could try unplugging the display and plugging it back in. Probably won't fix it but one less thing to try.

Does anyone have specs on the fork. Is there a crown race available that can be used to that the frame can support a 1 1/4" straight tube fork?

Comment

Hi: Can I turn off the assistance when not needed, or it's always on and can only adjust the output until the battery runs out ? Thanks.

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        If you mean like turning the power off, sure you can do that.

My son just ordered a Luna Stealth eBike. We cannot get the front tire mounted. The fork is too narrow. Do we have the wrong tire, wrong fork, or is there a trick to this we're not seeing.

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Try letting some air out of the tires, should fit in easier. Worst case just take it to a local bike shop, they regularly do assembly and inspection for shipped bikes and the fee is very little, 50 bucks I think, they do proper assembly, check out all the parts, and give it a tuneup. A nice service for any shipped bike really

Hey all -- I upgraded my Luna Stealth to have a 70T front sprocket and an 36V/20aH external unit pack power battery with a custom switch between the internal and external batteries. I'm cruising now around 27 mph in 3rd gear on flat ground, and the extra range is amazing. Love this bike :) It was quite a challenge to do the upgrade, but finally got it done. Thanks for the amazing bike Luna, keep building them -- perhaps you can create an official range extender add on for the stealth. Details on my upgrade are here: https://www.reddit.com/r/LunaOwners/...attery_custom/
      Last edited by timmyd; 08-23-2020, 08:50 AM.

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        The post appears to be deleted, would love to hear the details though!

I recently had to throw away my 2012 e-bike after 8000 miles of happy commuting because the battery died and is no longer manufactured. Felt bad.

I'm hoping my next bike will have batteries that can be replaced 10 years down the road. Can the actual cells be replaced in the Fixed, or do I have to trust that the entire physical battery package will still be available in 2030?

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        The battery is replaceable sure. Same could have been done on that bike you threw away for anyone that has the skillset

• slooney64
        slooney64 commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure about that. The plastic battery housing was wearing out as well, so advanced 3D printing or injection molding would be involved for a long-term fix. The manufacturer does not produce the battery anymore and I couldn't find it on eBay.

An internal battery like the Fixed's (vs one with a custom cradle or other plastic attachment mechanism) seems more likely to be serviceable by someone willing to take apart the battery package.

(I actually sold the bike for $130 to someone who I hope has the skills and time to rebuild it, but I'm skeptical that they will be successful.)

This is a longer term issue for e-bikes in general that I hope will ultimately be solved by standardized battery/BMS packages. Battery cell packages (e.g. D-cell, AAA, etc...) haven't changed for decades so they are easily replaceable even as the tech improves. E-bike battery packages, not so much. Once that particular model is no longer supported, it's hard to keep the bike on the road for long.

I'm a fan of e-bikes, but I hope one day they won't be disposable. Thus my question.

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        There are workarounds if you need to replace a housing, especially if you have extra room like on the Fixed. On a bike like this you could probably just mount a 36v shark pack and wire it in line with discharge, similar to how the fellow in the post above did. No need to go mucking about with the original battery, though that would probably not be that hard for someone that builds batteries; it is similar to any other battery in that it uses 18650 cells spot welded, just in a innovative new configuration.
    Working...
    X