Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m looking to get an emtb, and have tried a few: Levo, bulls, Trek, and both Yamaha and Bosch versions of a Haibike. I’m fairly dead-set on a haibike (Levo would win if I could justify the cost!), but this X1 came up too.

I’m just concerned about the torque sensing? Is it really that bad? It almost sounds like it’s more of a cadence sensor than torque! (Based on how my cadence sensing rear hub motor acts.

Comment

Originally posted by Gizzygone View Post
      I’m looking to get an emtb, and have tried a few: Levo, bulls, Trek, and both Yamaha and Bosch versions of a Haibike. I’m fairly dead-set on a haibike (Levo would win if I could justify the cost!), but this X1 came up too.

I’m just concerned about the torque sensing? Is it really that bad? It almost sounds like it’s more of a cadence sensor than torque! (Based on how my cadence sensing rear hub motor acts.
      Who said it's bad?
      It works great for me
      Just apply pressure to the pedal and the bike adds more motor

Comment

Originally posted by EL34 View Post

Who said it's bad?
        It works great for me
        Just apply pressure to the pedal and the bike adds more motor
        I’ve heard that there’s a delay between pedaling and power assist. The Yamaha motor I tried was instant (in that if I place any pressure on the pedal, it would apply power immediately..... I’m told the m600 waits for 1/8-1/4 of a rotation to apply power)?

Comment

• stevetbeck
          stevetbeck commented
          Editing a comment
          Just got the X1 a few days ago and it's my first emtb so I have nothing to compare it to. But I perceive a slight delay in applying pressure and also when releasing pressure (nothing to do with rotation, just time). I'm getting used to it, but it might be a bit tricky on technical terrain. As others have said, gearing makes a difference as well.

Originally posted by Gizzygone View Post

I’ve heard that there’s a delay between pedaling and power assist. The Yamaha motor I tried was instant (in that if I place any pressure on the pedal, it would apply power immediately..... I’m told the m600 waits for 1/8-1/4 of a rotation to apply power)?
        Sounds like more internet garbage to me

As soon as I apply pressure to a pedal, my X1 moves

Comment

Originally posted by EL34 View Post

Sounds like more internet garbage to me

As soon as I apply pressure to a pedal, my X1 moves
          100% agree. My X-1 arrived on Tuesday and I think the torque sensor is fantastic. If you have it in level 5 to start, it can feel a little jerky (maybe even more so with ludicrous like mine) because it's generating so much power but lower levels are fine. You can always get started in a lower level and move up. I'm sure I'll get more used to it over time too. For the most part, I keep it in level 1/2/3 and only go up to 5 if I'm climbing something huge or burned out on the ride home and want to be lazy. This bike is AMAZING! I test rode 8 different bikes at our local ebike shop with Yamaha, Bosch, Shimano and Brose drives from November to March. I liked the Yamaha and Bosch least, however they are all pretty good. They were fun but after riding the X-1 I am so glad I went this route instead. I really wanted a throttle because I've injured my left leg in motorcycle and rock climbing accidents and it's great to have it when needed. The torque sensing is so good, that's a rare thing though. Also, if you buy one, get the silent gear. I couldn't believe how quiet it was.

Comment

• stevetbeck
            stevetbeck commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree about the silent gear. I waited to buy this because of the reports about the sound, but after receiving it, I really don't hear it at all. I hear the tires on the road/trail more than the motor.

Maybe it varies bike-to-bike or ludi controller to non-ludi, but mine (ludi version) definitely has a ~1/2 second or more delay between start pedaling and assist kicking in, then you get ~1/2 second of assist after you stop pedaling. One thing that seems to make it worse is getting stuck in too high of gear and/or forgetting to shift. (Color me guilty!) That would somewhat make sense if assist is tied to 'half a rotation'. In too high a gear, it takes a long time / long distance to make 1/2 rotation of the pedals. The powerful motor will definitely make you forget to shift, but ideally, you need to keep the revs very high which means a lot of thumb work on the shifter!

I would still say it's a lot of bike for the money, and street or open area riding, the assist delays are a minimal issue. But on a tight/technical trail, it can get to be a hand full real quick if you don't work the gears a lot.

Comment

My X1 is Non Ludi.
            I saw no reason to have more power than I could use in a mountain bike.
            I never go beyond assist 4 out of 9 on my X1

98% of the time, level 3 is the highest assist I use
            Mine is 100% used off road on mountain trails

Comment

Hi guys is it possible to change the crank arms on the x1 with say like a sram carbon set?

Comment

• K442
                K442 commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't believe so. ISIS standard is a 10 point shaft, Bafang is a 12 point, so that is an immediate show-stopper right out of the gate.

Is there a way to fit a gear shift sensor to an X1?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Eatough View Post
                Is there a way to fit a gear shift sensor to an X1?
                I don't see the need for it on my X1

I have a BBSHD bike that definitely needs the shift sensor
                it will yank the chain really hard when shifting without the shift sensor

The X1 does not do that

Comment

Its true the X1 drive train is excellent & shifts beautifully even under power( when new). However, after 1000 miles of hard (race pace) singletrack riding, the gear shifting is not as sweet anymore. I've broken 2 cassettes replaced 2 chains & 1 chainring in that 1000 miles.so the drive train is now a mix of new & old
                  parts. I'm pretty sure a sensor would help, that's not my question .
                  Is it possible to fit one is my question.

Comment

• kengps
                    kengps commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The M600 does have a connector for a shift sensor. It is the purple connector. The Luna BABE uses a shift sensor. Same motor. Not sure if the X1 programming is different from BABE. Maybe it isn't programmed for it??
                    Last edited by kengps; 04-07-2020, 09:12 AM.

I had someone adjust my gears to try to make the 12th gear work but it was causing a lot of skipping. The bike shop said it was probably putting out too much torque causing the chain to slip on the smallest gear. Has anyone had any luck getting the 12th gear to work properly?

Comment

• K442
                    K442 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Seems several have done it and reported success. One person (member here, I believe) made a good video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LIvYqlktsI

When I adjusted mine, it seemed to be pretty sensitive to getting everything 'perfect' to keep from skipping. As mentioned in the video, the "B" screw needs to be adjusted - about as 'tight' as possible on the derailleur / cassette clearance without rubbing - which I believe is 'loosen' on the screw. I also had to keep the top sprocket of the derailleur slightly outboard of the last sprocket on the cassette. I'd say about half the tooth width outboard... 0.5 to 1.0mm. Otherwise, the chain kept trying to climb back on to #11. This was also a very sensitive adjustment. Not far enough outboard and the chain tries to climb to 11, go too far outboard and you can't get smoothly back into 11 with one click on the shifter.

Good Luck!

Originally posted by steelersmb View Post
                  I had someone adjust my gears to try to make the 12th gear work but it was causing a lot of skipping. The bike shop said it was probably putting out too much torque causing the chain to slip on the smallest gear. Has anyone had any luck getting the 12th gear to work properly?
                  I adjusted mine 5 months ago
                  All has been fine since then
                  Video here
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LIvYqlktsI

Comment

Can someone recommend a good replacement chain to use? I ordered one but it's too thick and won't work.

Comment

Originally posted by steelersmb View Post
                      Can someone recommend a good replacement chain to use? I ordered one but it's too thick and won't work.
                      Any SRAM Eagle 12-speed chain will work fine as the entire Eagle 12-speed set is compatible up and down the line. I've read that the X01 and XX1 chains have far longer life-spans than the GX/NX/SX versions and thus are worth the extra money.

Comment

Working...
                      X