X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EL34
    replied
    Originally posted by Ollie View Post
    Thanks for the very helpful photo. That's exactly how my bike was packaged, except the final drive setup. It would make sense that the touch up (6th photo not showing) is done at the manufacturer since the color matches.

If we get motor upgrades, is the motor swapped out or dissembled stateside? I wonder if the the blacked-out letters are an external way for them to know what was done internally. More importantly, does anyone also have a rattle at low assist? Seems like something is loose until more assist is applied. I'll take out the bike for a real ride today.

Sorry to nest one more question... For those who have swapped the alu wheels with carbon, did you notice any difference? I wonder if the weight of the bike overwhelms any stiffness advantage carbon wheels provide. My X-1 came with the newer Alex wheels which, I believe, are 35mm internal width. I haven't weighed it separately, but I'm sure it's lighter than the original 40mm ones. I bought a set of Enve M635 on an amazing sale, but I'm leaning towards returning them.

Thanks buddies!
    If you had the PEEK gear installed, LUNA would have had to take the motor out of the frame to do that

I dropped 5 pounds with my carbon wheel set and going tubeless
    https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...-other-x1-mods

Leave a comment:

• Ollie
    replied
    Thanks for the very helpful photo. That's exactly how my bike was packaged, except the final drive setup. It would make sense that the touch up (6th photo not showing) is done at the manufacturer since the color matches.

If we get motor upgrades, is the motor swapped out or dissembled stateside? I wonder if the the blacked-out letters are an external way for them to know what was done internally. More importantly, does anyone also have a rattle at low assist? Seems like something is loose until more assist is applied. I'll take out the bike for a real ride today.

Sorry to nest one more question... For those who have swapped the alu wheels with carbon, did you notice any difference? I wonder if the weight of the bike overwhelms any stiffness advantage carbon wheels provide. My X-1 came with the newer Alex wheels which, I believe, are 35mm internal width. I haven't weighed it separately, but I'm sure it's lighter than the original 40mm ones. I bought a set of Enve M635 on an amazing sale, but I'm leaning towards returning them.

Thanks buddies!

Leave a comment:

• steelersmb
    replied
    Does anyone know of a good hanging bike rack for a hitch that works well? I had a good tray rack but I recently moved and my new garage is not very big so a hanging rack is much smaller to store.

Leave a comment:

• EL34
    replied
    I don't think LUNA goes over the bikes?
    They receive them in shipping containers in large quantities

LUNA probably gives them a once over glance and ships them out?

Any bike you buy needs to be gone over from head to toe to double check everything and adjust it the way you like it.

This is what it looks like at Luna

Click image for larger version

Name:	Luna1.png
Views:	584
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	121060

Leave a comment:

• Ollie
    replied
    I'm also a proud new owner of a Luna X-1 (ludi with gear upgrade). Do other owners have a rattle at low assist? It goes away when peddling with more effort or with more assist (probably the same condition). Otherwise, it seems to perform well. I saw this mentioned in a previous post, but no one replied.

I'm concerned because my bike does not appear to be in new condition-- touch up paint on the carbon fiber, as well as maintenance marks on the motor and spider. Does the Bafang logo need to be blacked out because of mods performed by Luna?

Regardless of the marks which I have been reassured as cosmetic, i'm worried I'll be stuck with a defective motor after the 6 months warranty is over, especially if it has the rattling sound out of the box. Can anyone else confirm that sound is normal?

BTW, I'm 5'8 with a 29.5" inseam (measured, not pants), and the medium is perfect for an enduro fit. I'm sure small would be fine as well. My other enduro bike is a small SB6, and my trail bike is a medium SB5. If you're not going to do much downhill, I'm sure you can go a size smaller.

Leave a comment:

• Texasaj35
    replied
    I got my Luna X1 and started to re-torque every bolts before the 1st ride (blue loctite). I had problems with the dropper seat as it was sinking me down on my test ride. I followed the diy on this site to fix it. After pulling the dropper seat out, the cable did not have that plastic sheath to prevent it from getting caught thru the eyelet! It was getting stuck there. I was annoyed as the cable is too bent and frayed. So I bought a new cable and re-do it. I'm not a bike mechanic and I was able to replace it without destroying/fraying the cable.
    ** Luna has to train their bike mechanic to pay attention to small details like this to make their bike function smoother**.
    Dropper is SMOOTHER now and NO ISSUES!
    I wasn't able to ride my new bike for a week as trying to fix everything before going on my 1st 10 mile ride(2 infants and work). During the ride, I kept PAS level 1 or 2 entire time, 92% battery after 10 mile ride (has alot of climbs too). I'm IMPRESSED!
    Overall, this bike is worth it, you just need to fix minor imperfections (re-torque VERY bolt with blue loctite and fix dropper seat cable - time consuming- rather be riding the bike already!).

Leave a comment:

• EL34
    replied
    Originally posted by paxtana View Post
    If doing that maybe store the battery indoors, but yeah the bike itself should be fine as long as it doesn't get water in it (or stolen)
    Yeah, good idea. Take the battery out of the frame.

Leave a comment:

• paxtana
    replied
    If doing that maybe store the battery indoors, but yeah the bike itself should be fine as long as it doesn't get water in it (or stolen)

Leave a comment:

• EL34
    replied
    Originally posted by steelersmb View Post
    Is it safe to leave the bike outside all of the time? It would be covered so it won't get wet. We just moved to a new house and the garage isn't too big so I need to make as much room as possible.
    I would say as long as it's not too cold or too hot
    Li-On batteries don't like extremes
    I would leave it on the charger
    Just my .02

Leave a comment:

• steelersmb
    replied
    Is it safe to leave the bike outside all of the time? It would be covered so it won't get wet. We just moved to a new house and the garage isn't too big so I need to make as much room as possible.

Leave a comment:

• Texasaj35
    replied
    Originally posted by steelersmb View Post
    I just put my bike together. Does anyone know what the switch next to the throttle does? I haven't had a chance to ride mine yet but was just wondering.
    NEW VERSION of the flux capacitor...

Leave a comment:

• bengreens
    commented on 's reply
    You're welcome! I'm going to have to ride my old bike some before I could make that claim (14.6 being bettter than 14.4). They seem pretty close in behavior.

• bengreens
    replied
    Clarifying my thoughts on frame size a little, I'd like to say part of what size you're happy with will depend on how you want to use the bike. With my human-powered bikes I have the saddle adjusted so my knee is only slightly bent at the bottom of the pedal stroke. I do the same with my e-bikes. My medium X-1 doesn't come close to allowing this. For a good while I convinced myself I could live with it, that the motor made up for not being able to maximize my muscle input.

When I would switch to my regular bike it felt funny: I was up really high; it was a long stretch to get my toes on the ground; my legs seemed too straight at the bottom of pedalstrokes. (At the same time, it was awesome pedaling a 25-lb bike with skinnier tires--street slick style, even, though it's an MTB, and inflated to 60psi--I felt like Superman, as with the X-1 I try to ride as much as possible at 0 PAS. Awesome except the two times I slid out on wet pavement and went down. )

The turning point may have been when I took a loop ride that started by following an old railroad grade (easy, right?) and continued up, and up, for 29 miles, some of it through deep gravel/broken rock. In spite of my efforts to conserve battery, by the top of the climb (2000' gain) it was at 30%. No problem, as the rest was going to be mostly downhill. Except there was an insane headwind for the first few miles (flat or nearly so, and paved).

It wore me out. Kept getting down to 20%, shutting off assist (or shutting off battery entirely), and sweating like a horse. FINALLY made it to all downhill and sheltered from the wind, and really had a blast, but Iwouldn't try another 44-mile ride like that without being able to maximize my legpower.

Leave a comment:

• EL34
    replied
    Thanks bengreens
    So 14.6 feels better than 14.4?

Leave a comment:

• bengreens
    commented on 's reply
    The flashed bike had Controller Software CRX10NC4818i132014.5 Now it's CRX10NC4818i132014.6 My first X-1 has the same software as yours.
Working...
X